Fall Trip to the northern Rockies - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Fall Trip to the northern Rockies

Hi All
Looking for campground recommendations for a trip through the Rockies. Below is a an early guess at an itinerary. If you know of any good spots in any of the areas please let me know. Need to look into reservations for those places where they will be required, hence the early start. Going to start around Jasper BC and drive S ending around the Teton's. The list is just for the general area, don't have specific sights I want to see, just see what the country is like.

Guessing at about a week in each area. We prefer non commercial campgrounds, don't need hookups but they don't hurt either, boondocking is even better, as long as I can find the place. Rural is better then urban. In other words, we like to feel like we're camping. PM's would be great if you don't care to let the masses know your good spots, I won't tell anyone. Chances are this is a one time shot.

Winnipeg mid August
Jasper BC
Lake Louise roughly the 1st week of Sept
St Mary WY (Eastern side of Glacier)
Northern end of Yellowstone, this late I'm guessing at Mammoth
Tetons

Out of curiosity, what is the PNW coast weather like this time of year, as in late Oct-Nov. Just in case I want to extend the trip...
Old 11-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Jasper is in Alberta.
Foreseeable future:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.00.07 AM.png  
Old 11-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
The PNW is usually quite wet in late Oct - early Nov. This year we had only 2 rain free days in October and the first 2 weeks of November were similar. Not pleasant for camping.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Jasper is in Alberta.
Bob is lost already .
Old 11-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Bob (padlin), did you intend to visit the coast, a long day's drive west from Jasper? Jasper would have much different weather from the coast.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #6

There were snowfall warnings for the Coquihalla a couple days ago. Comes and goes.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
This was our weather the beginning of October.
In the Rockies, most campgrounds close mid September.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0715a.jpg  
Old 11-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

Out of curiosity, what is the PNW coast weather like this time of year, as in late Oct-Nov. Just in case I want to extend the trip...
Just as a point of interest for you, the term "Pacific North West" is an American term that generally refers to western Washington state and perhaps north west Oregon. Once you cross the border into Canada it's simply called the "West Coast" or as we jokingly say the "Wet Coast". I mention this only because when you get up here and if you say "Pacific North West" you might get a lot of blank stares.

And as far as the weather itself is concerned we've had a record breaking wet fall so far, with no real end in sight.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Jasper is in Alberta.
Foreseeable future:
Alberta, BC, same thing to me. Head west, turn north at the mountains.

What I was thinking, till I saw your weather, was do the mts heading south starting in Jasper AB till early Oct. trying to catch everything before the CG's close. Then IF the weather was decent head over to the coast of WA and OR. If Vancouver weather is any indication, come Oct we'll keep going south, maybe the CA coast, or head home.

Anyone got campground recommendations?
Old 11-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Alberta, BC, same thing to me. Head west, turn north at the mountains.
You folks from New York are all the same.

I really like Wilcox Creek Campground about 100 km south of Jasper. Quite rustic for a National Park, and great views from the campground. The hike up from the campground affords some of the best views you will every take in, and I don't mean just on this trip.

Quote:
Wilcox Creek
Best suited for motorhomes and trailers under 27 feet

Map of Wilcox Creek Campground

Sitting at the base of one of Jasper’s premiere dayhikes, with which it shares its name, Wilcox campground is also down the road from the Columbia icefield, offering access to a variety of family friendly amenities and day trips.

Campground facilities are rustic, and include outhouses, picnic tables, cook shelters and metal fire rings.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #11

Here Jasper . . . Good Boy!!
Old 11-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Here Jasper . . . Good Boy!!
He is laying on the floor beside me right now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #13

Chico hot springs

This is not a compground but a pleasant place to stop and visit. It's about 20 miles north of Yellowstone park. Fairly cheap rooms in an old, upgraded resort. Great bar, two hot pools. Dynamite breakfast buffet! There are dry camp spots nearby but you will need to search them out on your own.
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
In the Tetons we have enjoyed Coulter Bay. Big campground with a central shower house that you pay per person. Again pretty common in national parks. Campsites are typical national park with a side pull off though they were constructing some new ones that looked to have a concrete pad. By the third week of October they are clearing out the store and shutting things down. Not sure if the electric sites are still available, we could not get an opening on one.

Yellowstone campgrounds as quite similar though it is harder to find showers. At Mammoth you can go to the lodge and pay $7 and get to use the showers located with the cabins. Old Faithful offers the same. Even in October it can be hard to find a campsite as some close early (Roosevelt)
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Padlin, we camped for seven nights at Wapiti, one of the Jasper National Park campsites, in mid-September of this year. I reserved in January, so we had no problems, but noted while we were there that the CG was full every evening, and RVs were being turned away by mid-afternoon. So if you know your schedule, book early if you want the nicer sites in the most popular Canadian national parks.
https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/ParksCanada

It sounds like you're seeking a camping experience more in tune with the natural surroundings than with the shopping ops. If so, you might want to consider Waterton Lakes NP, which is contiguous with Glacier NP in Montana. We far prefer laid-back Waterton to the Lake Louise and Banff areas which are overrun with tour buses and selfie-seekers. You can drive the Icefields Parkway south from Jasper, check out the glaciers, camp as long as you wish at Lake Louise or Banff, then swing over to the Cowboy Highway to get down to Waterton. By mid-September, Waterton stops taking CG reservations but, unlike Jasper, there were lots of spaces vacant because it's not as well-known.

Check out "Waterton Wildlife Weekend" to learn about the park's season-ending event in mid-September. We've attended WWW twice, and learned a lot about elk, bears, wolves, the night sky, wildlife photography, and other topics from experts. https://mywaterton.ca/events/waterto...a94bb07e79e7e9

We had a fabulous couple of weeks in the Rockies, and hope you do, too
Old 11-18-2016, 01:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Unless it's changed in the last year or so, I think Wapiti is the only CG in Jasper National Park that is open after Labour Day.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:54 AM   #17

Campground availability in Jasper NP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Unless it's changed in the last year or so, I think Wapiti is the only CG in Jasper National Park that is open after Labour Day.
Wabasso closed right after Labour Day. Like Wapiti, Whistlers was open and full when we were there in mid-September. It closed on Oct. 9 this year.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:44 AM   #18

Thanks all, think I've got a decent idea of where I can go now. A few look to need reservations, we'll see how that goes.

For now I'll figure at least a few nights in each in depending on closing dates and such.
Jasper,
Wilcox Creek,
Lake Louise,
Waterton Lakes,
One of the national park CG's around St Mary MT, will see what I can get in.
Yellowstone are all first come first serve by the time I get there. I do want to see the Lamar valley so one of the small CG's suggested would be great, if I can get in.
Will use one of the national forest CG's around the Tetons.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #19

Bob, you picked a good year for your trip because passes for admittance to Canada's National Parks will be free in 2017. Follow Parks Canada on Facebook or check the NP camping website to get updates on when the passes become available.
https://www.facebook.com/ParksCanada...WSFEED&fref=nf

Camping and reservation fees are still in effect as usual during 2017.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
Bob, you picked a good year for your trip because passes for admittance to Canada's National Parks will be free in 2017. Follow Parks Canada on Facebook or check the NP camping website to get updates on when the passes become available.
https://www.facebook.com/ParksCanada...WSFEED&fref=nf

Camping and reservation fees are still in effect as usual during 2017.
Well, its not quite free. You have to purchase a 2016 pass and that will be good for two years.
Its the classic sounds too good to be true.
I got all excited earlier this summer when I first heard about the free pass, then I read the rest of the announcement.

Get a head start on the celebrations this year

Purchase your Discovery Pass, which provides admission to all Parks Canada places, in 2016 and it will remain valid for two full years to incorporate free admission in 2017. Discover what Parks Canada has to offer this year, and be inspired to plan your 2017 visit!
For more information on Parks Canada’s places and experiences across the country and to download the Visitor Guide for the region you’ll be exploring, visit parkscanada.gc.ca/visit.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote