Fill up with fuel before you enter BC - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Or, maybe you can.
What you've shown me is that you're paying about $1.25 more per gallon in taxes for gasoline than I am or at least until I cross the Savannah into Georgia then it's only about $1difference. What are diesel prices up your way? That's what I use anyway. Oh, my wife drives an 11 year old Honda.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Diesel was 40 cents a litre cheaper last I looked. I'm sure it will catch up.
Anyway, from what I endured this morning, the price of fuel and the carbon tax in BC is having absolutely no effect on the number of people out driving.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
State taxes cause the difference, Pennsylvania has the highest in the country, our gas is always been more expensive, other than Hawaii and California.
Not Always. I used to wait until I hit Exit 219 on I 81 in PA to buy gas for $.30 less per gallon than NY prices. A big shock after your prices went up a couple of years back...
Old 04-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Not quite: southern B.C. gets its fuel mostly from Alberta refineries and the Kamloops B.C. refinery (which gets its oil from Alberta); however, some fuel does come from the U.S. and outages in any source have an immediate effect on the retail price.

The refinery in Kamloops closed in 1983. Canada exports about 145,000 BBL/DAY of AB crude to Washington State refineries and then imports gasoline and jet fuel back into the lower mainland.

The Chevron Burnaby refinery only has a capacity of 55,000 bbl/day.
The only other refinery in BC is at Prince George but it small at only 12,000 bbl/day.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:28 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Where is this Superstore mentioned in #6 near the factory? I'll be returning and heading towards Osoyoos, thanks.
ETI is exit 116. Exit 119 is the one that gets you to SuperStore and cheap gas. Head South down to the first light and turn left. It's a block or so up the road. Good place to stock up with food etc. although they may not have some of that interesting type food that you seem to prefer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If you have a Costco card, the store is located on Sumas Way half way between Hwy 1 (which ETI is located on) and the Sumas boarder crossing.

It has the cheapest propane to fill your new tanks and generally the cheapest gas in Canada.

Even though it is west of ETI and we were leaving east to go home...we took this detour to fill everything up and test that everything was OK before we got out of range of ETI.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Rockcrawler View Post
The refinery in Kamloops closed in 1983.
Sorry, I keep forgetting about that - I meant to list the Vancouver area refinery as supplied with crude from Alberta, not Kamloops. Kamloops is notable for gasoline because it is a terminal location (for refined products from Alberta), making gasoline prices lower in the Kamloops area than the rest of southern B.C.... something which the cost-conscious might want to keep in mind when travelling across B.C.

Northern B.C. is a quite separate situation from southern B.C., due to B.C. oil production used at the Prince George refinery.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
In recent years, diesel has typically been more expensive than regular gasoline here in Alberta. Since diesel contains more energy than gasoline for the same volume, that makes some sense. The relative price of gasoline and diesel is affected by taxes (not the same for different fuels), local market considerations, and seasonal variations. The seasonal effect is that while gasoline is typically more expensive in the summer when it is in more demand (with no more supply), diesel production competes with heating oil production so diesel is more expensive in the winter; of course other factors (crude price, supply issues, taxation, etc) can effectively mask that annual pattern for either fuel, but the relative price between them should should the pattern.

For current pricing, something like GasBuddy.com (or their app) is the easiest information source. Unfortunately, their charts showing prices over time for various locations display only regular gasoline prices, so they won't help explain diesel pricing. They do provide diesel price information in maps and lists, just not in those charts.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:56 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When we travel to Canada from the US we always carry as much food , alcoholic beverages and fuel as legally and physically possible for two reasons - cost and availability
I had always thought filling up your tank in the US before returning to Canada was not a problem. However last night I popped over to ND to fill up $92 worth at 2.80 a gallon (it's a big tank) and for the first time ever was asked at customs how much I spent on gas.

Fortunately I'd mentioned to the agent that I hated to pay our new higher gas prices because of the new federally imposed carbon tax (on the four provinces holding out on imposing their own) and she agreed with me, said welcome back to Canada, sending me on my way. I thought that funny since I'd been gone only 15 minutes.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Anyway, from what I endured this morning, the price of fuel and the carbon tax in BC is having absolutely no effect on the number of people out driving.
We are just the opposite here. Diesel runs pretty close to what premium cost. I think the last time I got any diesel it was something like $2.80/gal. Regular is generally about 30 cents or so cheaper.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Fortunately I'd mentioned to the agent that I hated to pay our new higher gas prices because of the new federally imposed carbon tax (on the four provinces holding out on imposing their own) and she agreed with me, said welcome back to Canada, sending me on my way. I thought that funny since I'd been gone only 15 minutes.

Are you aware that you and most Canadian families will get back the carbon tax on your income taxes? If you restrict your driving, you will get back more than you paid out. And, that's the whole point. Convince people to drive less.
And, if you take advantage of government rebates for installation of home insulation and more efficient furnaces that you will get back more than you paid in carbon tax on home heating fuels?
Old 04-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I would never let the cost of gas deter me from visiting a place I wanted to see, for as long as I wanted to see it - and beautiful British Columbia is one of those places. What's a few bucks compared to the beauty of such a place? If I wanted to do everything the least expensive way, I'd have foregone buying a trailer altogether, and just stayed home.

When the trip is over, months or years down the road, you won't remember things like gas prices, but the places you went and the people and places you saw.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:37 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
However last night I popped over to ND to fill up $92 worth at 2.80 a gallon (it's a big tank) and for the first time ever was asked at customs how much I spent on gas.

Not a bad deal. I filled up last night almost within sight of the Cherry Point refinery near Ferndale, WA at $3.29 a gallon.

Probably that's the one question that I've never been asked at the border.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Are you aware that you and most Canadian families will get back the carbon tax on your income taxes? If you restrict your driving, you will get back more than you paid out. And, that's the whole point. Convince people to drive less.
And, if you take advantage of government rebates for installation of home insulation and more efficient furnaces that you will get back more than you paid in carbon tax on home heating fuels?
Sounds like the folks making the rules were fans of Ivan Pavlov
Old 04-28-2019, 11:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Sounds like the folks making the rules were fans of Ivan Pavlov

Seems better than subsidizing fuel. Makes less racket than NASCAR. Speaking of, is there anything more boring than NASCAR qualifying?
Watching F1 Grand Prix at the moment. Cars manage to turn both left and right without crashing every second lap.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Seems better than subsidizing fuel. Makes less racket than NASCAR. Speaking of, is there anything more boring than NASCAR qualifying?
Watching F1 Grand Prix at the moment. Cars manage to turn both left and right without crashing every second lap.
Sorry I wouldn't know anything about NASCAR. My racing enthusiasm was generated more by Sterling Moss, Jimmy Stewart, Richey Ginther, Phil and Graham Hill. The current F1 stuff doesn't have the character of the C and D Jags , 300 Gullwings or the Berlinetta. Also, last trip I took with this thing I averaged 31mpg so I'm doing my bit to save the planet. What's that Toyota get mpg by the way?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0035.jpg  
Old 04-28-2019, 11:42 PM   #37

Mercedes #1 and #2. Don't remember who came in third.
RAV4 gets crappy mileage unless I'm cruising the freeway at 60mph, no trailer. But, I just can't keep my foot off the gas.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:04 AM   #38

Quote:
Mercedes #1 and #2. Don't remember who came in third.
RAV4 gets crappy mileage unless I'm cruising the freeway at 60mph, no trailer. But, I just can't keep my foot off the gas.
Glen Way back when I was watching real racing because of the crash in 1955 Mercedes had left racing. I didn't get interested in European cars until the 60s and Moss was at the tail end of his career. Guys like Stewart were still new. When they decided to copy Volkswagen in engine placement I lost interest in Formula 1 but still loved European cars, although I would sell my children into slavery for a 1958 Vette. Anyway I had the opportunity to spend almost 6 years in the town of Plieningen south of Stuttgart and once visited the MB headquarters. Oh, the car we took to Germany and I sold just before we left was a 1976 Toyota SR5 Liftback and I still have fond memories of that car. That Benz in the picture was after about three decades of nothing but Jeeps and Pickups. Mostly pickups. At this point I've given up on the 58 Vette but I'm really excited about some trailer up in Canada.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:15 AM   #39

Truth be told, I love watching rally car racing. Peugeot killed 'em in the '60s East African Safari.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Truth be told, I love watching rally car racing. Peugeot killed 'em in the '60s East African Safari.
Truth be told probably requires more skill and natural talent than the other forms. Maybe you ought to move to Finland. My main sports addiction these days is the Tour de France. I use to bid vacation to watch it on TV up in Montana. That's about one of three things that I watch on TV these days and Peaky Blinders won't be back for over a year. I don't watch a lot of TV. One of my fantasies was to head over to Paris and pick up a Peugot 908 I think Then spend about six weeks camping France in conjunction with the Tour. Peugot has a deal for non-EU citizens where you can"lease" a new Peugot for at least five weeks for a very reasonable price. Includes insurance and roadside assist. Now instead of sleeping in the Back of a Peugot near Briancon I'll be in a 5.0TA somewhere outside of Mexican Hat.