Fill up with fuel before you enter BC - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2019, 12:46 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Watching F1 Grand Prix at the moment. Cars manage to turn both left and right without crashing every second lap.
That was unusual today, especially on that circuit. To have all the cars start and all 20 still on the track for good part of the race was remarkable.

Only been to two F1 races, Montreal and Monaco. While Monaco was a dream and I love the place race or no race, to be honest, I think the best overall view of the race is on TV.

Carbon taxes make me crazy, or maybe more crazy. Never understood how paying extra tax to a government who has to create a bureaucracy to collect it and then another bureaucracy to give it back was going to work out. My fond hope is that folks will really start expressing their displeasure at paying the highest gas prices in Canada will find a way to fight that situation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:02 AM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
My fond hope is that folks will really start expressing their displeasure at paying the highest gas prices in Canada will find a way to fight that situation.

Ron

Doesn't seem to bother folks, if traffic this weekend is any indication. But then, we've been paying the carbon tax in BC for over a decade and have the best economy in the country.
As for bureaucracy, you've been getting the money back through reduced income taxes. Recently, however, the BC government has been skimming some off the top.
BTW, the carbon tax in BC went up by 1 cent a litre recently.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:07 AM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Glen I just read an article written in December by a Canadian who supports the tax and I kid you not he referenced "Pavlov". I knew it.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:15 AM   #44

Quote:
Doesn't seem to bother folks, if traffic this weekend is any indication. But then, we've been paying the carbon tax in BC for over a decade and have the best economy in the country.
As for bureaucracy, you've been getting the money back through reduced income taxes. Recently, however, the BC government has been skimming some off the top.
BTW, the carbon tax in BC went up by 1 cent a litre recently.
And Glen We all could stand to lose a little weight

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...fuel-1.5112688
Old 04-29-2019, 01:16 AM   #45

Remember the good old days when there were no seat belts and kids lay on the rear window shelf, while mom and dad chain smoked?
Old 04-29-2019, 01:20 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
And Glen We all could stand to lose a little weight

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...fuel-1.5112688

That's funny because those food trucks just take up prime parking spaces, in my experience. They aren't driving around.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:28 AM   #47

Glen I'm having fun but it's late down here in the swamp. Y'all come visit some time and I'll take you out for some fried cat fish and hush puppies and then we can go camping at the coast. Or we could camp here. Sumter National Forest is just behind the house across the creek. Sleep well
Old 04-29-2019, 01:30 AM   #48

I was thinking it's rather late for you.
Fried cat fish sounds good, but what about that oil?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #49

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Are you aware that you and most Canadian families will get back the carbon tax on your income taxes? If you restrict your driving, you will get back more than you paid out. And, that's the whole point. Convince people to drive less.
And, if you take advantage of government rebates for installation of home insulation and more efficient furnaces that you will get back more than you paid in carbon tax on home heating fuels?
Yes Glenn I am aware in fact am getting back $280.50 on 2018 taxes for the "climate action incentive" however that doesn't mean I can't try to save on gas however I can. I know my natural gas for the furnace will be costing more next winter (our older house has been refitted with insulation, windows, etc. and we have high efficiency furnace). Despite our hydro being the most reasonable in the country outside Quebec, there's another increase coming. We travel extensively with our Escape so our overall gas for the truck bill is pretty high.

Also you refer to restricting our driving but that's hard to do when we're nearly 100km from Winnipeg, and even 70km from somewhere with decent shopping, ie. Cdn. Tire, Superstore, lumber yard, etc. We do try to co-ordinate our shopping trips to eliminate unnecessary trips.

My sister from Victoria is currently visiting with us. Her car was recently written off and we're looking together at her leasing a Honda Fit, one of the reasons being the BC gas price.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #50

Quote:
Glen I'm having fun but it's late down here in the swamp. Y'all come visit some time and I'll take you out for some fried cat fish and hush puppies and then we can go camping at the coast. Or we could camp here. Sumter National Forest is just behind the house across the creek. Sleep well
Hey Jim is that an open invitation. We're looking at our fall trip and perhaps will go to Eggshells in the Outer Banks then on to our daughter's in GA
Old 04-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hey Jim is that an open invitation. We're looking at our fall trip and perhaps will go to Eggshells in the Outer Banks then on to our daughter's in GA
Of course! I mentioned Eggshells to my wife a couple of nights ago. I could be wrong but in October I don't think "Skeeters" will be much of a problem. I spent some time at the Ft Benning "School for Boys" back in the 60s. Y'all come on down.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:18 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Are you aware that you and most Canadian families will get back the carbon tax on your income taxes? If you restrict your driving, you will get back more than you paid out. And, that's the whole point. Convince people to drive less.
And, if you take advantage of government rebates for installation of home insulation and more efficient furnaces that you will get back more than you paid in carbon tax on home heating fuels?
It does not work quite that way. The amount of the carbon tax that you get back on your income taxes is entirely dependent on your income, with higher income earners bearing the brunt of the carbon tax and lower income earners benefiting the most.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #53

Yup. 'Tis true. Note the word "most".
Old 04-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #54

Hey Glen Hope you slept well. You yourself have pointed out that the draconian imposition of the repressive carbon tax has done little except shift money from one pocket (the person that earned the money) to a less deserving pocket. Have you seriously altered your driving habits? Probably not. Who would. The first article I reference "late" last night, the author pointed out that the Canadian provinces were getting away with this bit of subterfuge because like Pavlov's dog the Canadians were being conditioned by a trickle of cheap treats over a period of time. Where, Macron on the other hand had proposed dumping less tax on the French citizenry but made the mistake about being forthright and doing it all at once. Hench the Yellow Vest revolt. The article's author was suffering great angst because of the fear that the Yellow Vest peril would spread ultimately causing irreversible damage to the money shift, bureaucracy creating scheme. Here south of the border in Nascar loving big hemi driving country the author feared the damage was done. "Oh the Humanity"
Old 04-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Signed up for the Outer Banks Eggshell Rally today. I plan get there October 11 and depart the 14th. This will be my first RV rally ever so I'm looking forward to it.
Had a chance do quite a bit of VW/tent camping in Europe and I traveled quite a bit with my Lance truck camper but never made any kind of organized event.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #56

Jim, you'll enjoy the rally. If we go that'll be three of Compass RV rallies we attend this year, in AL, SD, and NC. Maybe we'll get a prize as likely we'd be the only ones other than Jeannine to attend all three.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #57

Quote:
Jim, you'll enjoy the rally. If we go that'll be three of Compass RV rallies we attend this year, in AL, SD, and NC. Maybe we'll get a prize as likely we'd be the only ones other than Jeannine to attend all three.
Well I this is the first time that I've been to the Outer Bank since I was at Bragg in the early 70s. First trip to the coast in about three years. Wife and daughter are heading down to Tybee this weekend for a few days but I get to stay home and babysit two ancient canines. Looks like you are almost Minnesotans but that is still a long drive to the Carolinas. I think with stops we're looking at about 8-9 hours getting over there. If you get a chance to attend, let me know.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:21 PM   #58

Quote:
Well I this is the first time that I've been to the Outer Bank since I was at Bragg in the early 70s. First trip to the coast in about three years. Wife and daughter are heading down to Tybee this weekend for a few days but I get to stay home and babysit two ancient canines. Looks like you are almost Minnesotans but that is still a long drive to the Carolinas. I think with stops we're looking at about 8-9 hours getting over there. If you get a chance to attend, let me know.
If we go Jim we plan a trip to southern ON first to visit family then head on down to NC. Yes we live about 1/2 mile from MN. We are used to long drives with the trailer, enjoy taking different routes and seeing different sights. Our daughter and son-in-law were at Bragg 2012-2014.