Finding state park campsites in WA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Finding state park campsites in WA

This question is potentially dumb, but so am I.

The State Parks reservation system in Washington State helps me search for campsites that will accommodate my rig, letting me choose, for towables, between small trailer (up to 18 feet) and large trailer (up to 35 feet).

But wait. Say there is a campsite rated as suitable for Small Trailer. And say the reservation system tells me the Pad Length is, say 27 feet, and that the Pad Width is 16 feet.

I say there's plenty of room for Toto (Escape 21, about 22 feet long with spare) and TinMan (Nissan Frontier) parked beside it. Yes, I have to unhook, but I plan to unhook anyway.

So I think, because I have this info, it's safe to reserve this site, even though it's not deemed suitable for my longer-than-18-foot rig.

BUT maybe the limitation is because of the campsite road, not the site itself. I get that. But if I know the campground and I know the roadway poses no problem, am I still therefore safe to reserve this site? I think I am. Am I missing something?

If I have this right, it gives more choices when I search for a campsite, because I can say "small trailer), see which sites are available, and check their length & width for suitability. Yes? No?

Thanks all.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Without seeing a photo of the campsite it's still a bit of a crap shoot.

We had a pull through site supposedly suitable for a long trailer at Cranberry Lake, Deception State Park. It was sloping, no, make that it was a steep mountain side. We had a Scamp 13. To get it level I had to put the hitch right hard on the ground and prop up the back end to scary levels.

So there's always a bit of luck in how the site suits you but I wouldn't hesitate to go for one with the dimensions you listed.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
You can always call the park and ask. Sometimes the angle for turning is lousy. Sometimes it is just fine and they park bigger rigs there all the time. As and example, at Grayland Beach the front tent sites accommodate trailers just fine. At Rasar they are walk-in only. So if you aren't familiar and can't tell from the picture, just call the park (not the reservation line) and check.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Thanks for the ideas! I'll call the park I'm curious about -- and also do some asking around when I'm down at Cape Disappointment SP next week.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Photos of the camp site help a lot determining if it will accommodate your rig. I use this site: https://www.campsitephotos.com
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote