First Camping Trip of 2012 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 19 2011
Re: First Camping Trip of 2012-toil;et leak

'to open the flush valve on the toilet, and had a major leak there. It seems'
Sadly, we had the same experience - toilet leaks fresh water slowly, onto the floor. I didi not disconnect the 'water module' valve or blow out any water prior to winter. Can I replace this myself or go to a dealer?
esKaPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #42

Re: First Camping Trip of 2012

'.. to open the flush valve on the toilet, and had a major leak there'
Sadly we had a similar experience - on our first trip of 2012 the toilet had a slow leak of fresh water onto the floor of the shower. I suspect the 'water valve' of the Thetford Aqua Magic 5 in our ESCAPE 19. This valve is hidden so the throne would have to be removed to access the valve. There is minimal space to access the plumbing behind the toilet. The water line is as tight as my two fingers can make it. I didn't know that it was necessary to open the line or inject air into the line to remove all water for winter.

I chose to drain the water lines and not to fill them with antifreeze, because someone said you never get rid of the taste of the antifreeze. Any advice for repair of leak and future winterizations? Should plumbing unions be inserted to make it easier to open lines and blast them with air?
Peter of EsKaPe
Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

I know this info has hit this list before, but I'll re-post. Where we live, it goes below freezing regularly in the winter, so here's what I do. I bought an inexpensive compressor for this and other simple jobs. Also, you, need a valve cap for your water system that allows you to pressurize your system, available at any RV store. This system has worked well for us for the last 3 winters.

Winterize your RV water system as follows:

1Drain the fresh water tank by opening the drain valve on the tank.

2Remove the threaded black plastic plug from water line located beside fresh water tank drain. (Low Point Drain)

3First, hold the toilet flush valve open for approximately 5-10 seconds to allow water to drain. Open all other taps (including exterior shower) and leave open.

4Drain the remaining water out of the water heater by removing the drain plug, (1-1/16” socket) which is accessed by opening the exterior water heater door.

5Apply Teflon tape to the threads on water heater drain plug and re-install.

6Remove the screened washer on the City Water Fill. Behind the washer is a white plastic one-way-valve. Using your finger, lightly push this valve in to allow a small amount of trapped water to drain out.

7Once there is no more water draining from the low point drain or freshwater tank, switch on the 12V water pump and run for approx 10 seconds. This will clear any water in the pump head out.

8 Re-install low point drain plug. Close all faucets.

9Pressurize the water tank to 40 lbs. Open one faucet at a time to clear residual water from the lines. Repressurize as necessary, opening the toilet flush valve last.

10 Pour a bit less than 2 liters of RV anti-freeze into the toilet holding tank. Pour a bit less than 1 liter down the kitchen sink drain, and pour a bit less than 1 liter down the shower drain. Pour remainder into the bathroom sink drain.

Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Bruce, do you find you get any more than a spit of water when you do the air thing? I have skipped that since the first winter after virtually getting nothing out.

Oh, and don't skip step #3. Don't ask me how I know the flush valve will freeze and crack necessitating replacement at a cost of $20 and a bunch of time. :
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #45

I just get a bit of water out of each place when I do the compressed air blow-out, but I think in the wrong place (valve, pump, etc.) even a bit might do damage. And, that step only takes 10 min. or so. Worth it for the peace of mind to me.

Bruce
Old 06-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #46

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

"Don't click the picture...but click the blue link at the bottom of the picture then you get the bigger version."
My Mac works just the opposite. If I click on the blue it asks whether I want to download and save it, but clicking directly on the thumbnail enlarges it.
"Suite Escapes'" 1st trip won't be until the fgrv rally at Bullard's Beach.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #47

Thanks, I will get the air-pressurizing threaded cap, and a new water valve to replace my suspected leaking one - or to keep as insurance.

Peter of EsKaPe
Old 06-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #48

[ first trip of 2012 the toilet had a slow leak of fresh water onto the floor of the shower.
Peter of EsKaPe [/quote]
Progress report: replaced the Thetford water valve, and the leak was worse. Applied plumbing grease to the thetford threads and tightened - still leaks; applied more force to tighten - and the female plastic PEX fitting broke apart. So perhaps it was cracked all along and the water valve was fine? More force was applied by putting a plastic buckle over one of the three flanges and pulling on a nylon strap from the side of the toilet i.e. this is not very much force but more than you can apply with one finger squeezed between the toilet and the shower wall. Next problem: can the PEX ring be removed and a new fitting installed or do fittings need a fresh piece of pipe?
Peter EsKaPe
Old 06-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: esKaPe... I'm no plumber so I probably shouldn't comment but if you use the old pex pipe there's always the chance you'll inherit the leak from the old ring locale. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #50

attaching photo of broken PEX fitting.
Should be easy to replace 1/2 " female fitting on 1.5 inch piece of PEX... tomorrow
Peter EsKaPe
Attached Thumbnails
P6100107-001.JPG  
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #51

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

I would replace the small piece of pex pipe and the 2 bands, most hardware or building supply stores will rent you a crimping tool for the pex.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #52

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray
9Pressurize the water tank to 40 lbs. Open one faucet at a time to clear residual water from the lines. Repressurize as necessary, opening the toilet flush valve last.
Do you pressurize the water tank so that the air goes through the pump or do you pressurize the line that hooks to a pressurized external water source that bypasses the pump using a male hose to schrader valve adapter?

The reason I ask is that in a previous trailer that I owned, I used compressed air to blow out the system and the pump must have still had just enough water in the diaphragm chamber to wreak the diaphragm that was made of unobtainium. That cost me a new pump. In subsequent years, I removed the pump each winter and had no other problems. When I winterized my Escape 19 for the first time last winter, I used the antifreeze in the water lines method and although it worked, as a previous poster mentioned, it is taking a long time for the taste and smell of the anti-freeze to work its way out of the system. I am ready to go back to using air but I want to do it perfectly.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #53

The threaded cap screws to the "city" water system - no pump involvement, least as far as I can tell. Three winters doing this, no troubles.

Bruce