First Trip Report - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
Thanks "lefttee", but I'll pass on that shortcut ;-) We actually stayed at Flagg Ranch but wanted to revisit Jackson Hole which is how we ended up on the Teton Pass. I have to say, it was a beautiful stretch of highway!

CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
BTW, I really enjoyed the trip report. If you read the story about the residents of Wilson, WY (at the bottom of Teton Pass)...it's obvious there can be issues. But when you overload a spud semi with an intrinsically high CG anyway and have marginal brakes...just like the guy pulling a 30 foot long, 6,000 pound trailer with his Buick Electra...you get what you deserve.

lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Great report. Yes, get back and this time you must get the trailer, and the kids, in the pictures!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:10 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I noticed the remarks about Teton pass, and assumed that the difficulty is the combination of grade and elevation, since neither by itself is a concern. At lower elevations, a 10% grade is slow but far from impassable.
I get the heebie jeebies with a 7% grade, I can't begin to imagine a 10%er, even with adequate equipment.
Thanks CADreamin for the report. BTW, do you have a copy you can post of your daughter's hard work? It might be helpful to those who wish to follow in your footsteps (at least the to part).
Old 06-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I get the heebie jeebies with a 7% grade, I can't begin to imagine a 10%er, even with adequate equipment.
Sandra, the good news is that even though it doesn't have the power of a Tundra, your Sienna can handle 10% grades (at least at reasonable elevations) with an Escape 17'... judging from my Sienna and my wider 17' trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #16

Hi Sandra - Here's what she had set up:

CA to Winnemucca NV via I-80 - High Desert RV park (nice with great showers and a Chicago Dog dinner)

Winnemucca to Twin Falls via I-80 then US-93 - Twin Falls KOA (cute little park). Stop by the Perrin Bridge in the early evening and watch the B.A.S.E. jumpers then, the next day, visit Shoshone Falls.

Twin Falls to Yellowstone via I-84 to I-80 to I-15 then US-191 - Canyon Campground (5 nights) Very nice with great showers.

Yellowstone to Tetons - Headwaters Lodge/Flagg Ranch (3 nights) Nice park within walking distance to the Lodge, bar and convenience store. While in the Teton area, be sure to stop by Dornan's in Moose, grab a beer and soak in the Teton views ... and, if you're lucky, some wildlife.

Jackson Hole WY to Elko NV - Iron Horse RV Park via the Teton Pass .... (*The longer route is Hwy 26 via the Snake River Canyon ... longer and flatter. It is recommended for those with trailers or during severe winter weather.)

Elko NV home to CA (There's a museum outside Elko, the California Trail Interpretive Center California Trail Interpretive Center | Elko, NV, which I had hoped to see; however, "someone" wanted an early start ... )
Old 06-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #17

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
If you've not heard of them, the Mountain Directory's might be worth checking out. I've only used the Eastern version for route planning so far.

Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers

Do look around some, they are $85 from Amazon but $16 from rvbookstore, no idea why the huge difference. I know I paid the latter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mountain Directory.jpg (101.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #18

A good resource! Thanks for posting ... I will pick one up.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
i thank you both.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #20

Trailer: Wannabe
Great report and I'll just put in here that yes your vehicle was perfectly capable of the grade but peeps, if this was a first trip with a first trailer - remember when.... I remember taking my first trailer and TUG on purpose just to the top of one of the passes outside of here (you can't leave home here without at least one major pass) with a supportive friend just to see how it would do. :-) Glad you had fun and hey, nothing wrong with planning your trip so it is as stress free as you need!!!!!

Sherry in MT

MTWaggin is offline   Reply With Quote