First trip w new Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19 foot Escape
First trip w new Escape 19

Orientation on Thursday May 19, then off to Cultus Lake Provincial Campground in the rain. Great to get senior's rate at $17.50 a night. While getting awning set up, handle disintegrated in husband's hand. Struck camp in the morning, took about 40 minutes to get hitch in place. Back down to Escape. They were great, replaced the faulty handle, and answered a few more newbie questions.

Up to Manning Park Lightening Lakes Campground, still cold and rainy. Campground just open for the season, but still 2/3 full. Every thing worked perfectly, spent the next day hiking, and going to an Interpretative event on birds held by a Park Naturalist; highly recommended.

We did not attempt to use the toilet or shower, and cooked outside rather than on the Escape stove. We loved the furnace, as at 6 degrees, it got chilly. Loved the full size fridge, and most of all, loved the automated jack. The first hitch up was pretty fraught, and would have hated jacking everything up and down manually. We have a 2016 Kia Sorento, and found that by leaving the back hatch open during the hitching process, it was much easier to communicate, and to maneuver.

One last kudo to the solar panels; what a boon! We are planning to camp in mostly unserviced sites, and this takes a load of concern off the whole charging issue. Even in the rainy overcast conditions, we didn't need to worry.

Home safe and sound, looking forward to Osoyoos next week.
Laura and Phil
neamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Congrats and welcome to the 19ers!
Always good to stay near ETI for a night or two as you discovered.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Congrats! Good times ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Good Job Laura and Phil,

Glad for your safe arrival home and for your great experience along the way!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Another happy Escape camper. Wishing you many good trips for many years to come!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
How does the Sorento do towing the 19? If I recall correctly, it has a 3500 lb tow capacity? I get my 17B next April but will need a new tow vehicle in the next couple of years. I've primarily been looking at those with a 5000 lb capacity (I travel alone and like a very large safety margin!) but maybe not...?
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:39 AM   #7

I guess I'm answering my own question! Just did a little digging on the Kia Sorento, and the V6 does have a 5000 lb tow limit. And the ratings and reviews are very positive! This one slipped under my radar - I was looking at the 4Runner and the Pilot - I think I need to add the Sorento to the list! Would love to hear how you're liking it.
Brenda
Old 05-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #8

We were very happy with its performance over the Allison and Blueberry Polson Summits. We took it slow and steady and had not a moment's anxiety.

Minor issue is while backing up. A high pitched nonstop beep warns you when you get too close to something, and it thinks the trailer hitch is way too close. A trip to the dealer should fix that.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
How does the Sorento do towing the 19? If I recall correctly, it has a 3500 lb tow capacity? I get my 17B next April but will need a new tow vehicle in the next couple of years. I've primarily been looking at those with a 5000 lb capacity (I travel alone and like a very large safety margin!) but maybe not...?
Both Sorrento and Santa Fe have been upgraded to 5,000 pounds the last three model years.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:11 AM   #10

Neamster,
Thanks for steering me towards a Kia Sorento. I stopped in for a brochure last weekend, and I go to the dealer tomorrow to try and finalize a deal! Just trying to figure out the whole "towing package" thing on this vehicle. I've scoured Kia forums and a ton of other websites and I still don't understand IF there is a tow package. My understanding is that the V6 AWD has a tow capacity of 5000 lbs , and I've read the forum discussion on tongue weight. I've seen reference to this nebulous "tow package", but can't for the life of me find anywhere that says it includes a larger tranny cooler?? or anything else? Is it just the addition of the hitch and wiring harness as accessories? Asked the dealership - no help there. I'll try again tomorrow. Are you still enjoying the Sorento? I was very impressed on the test drive! Looking at a red EX+! Thanks for any help!!
Brenda
Old 06-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Neamster,
Thanks for steering me towards a Kia Sorento. I stopped in for a brochure last weekend, and I go to the dealer tomorrow to try and finalize a deal! Just trying to figure out the whole "towing package" thing on this vehicle. I've scoured Kia forums and a ton of other websites and I still don't understand IF there is a tow package. My understanding is that the V6 AWD has a tow capacity of 5000 lbs , and I've read the forum discussion on tongue weight. I've seen reference to this nebulous "tow package", but can't for the life of me find anywhere that says it includes a larger tranny cooler?? or anything else? Is it just the addition of the hitch and wiring harness as accessories? Asked the dealership - no help there. I'll try again tomorrow. Are you still enjoying the Sorento? I was very impressed on the test drive! Looking at a red EX+! Thanks for any help!!
Brenda
Brenda, our experience with the 2012 Santa Fe was that only the top end models had the tow package and I don't think that has changed. Larger radiator, larger alternator, transmission cooler and wiring in the back underneath to plug in SOME of what you need to tow. Did not include plug and use for brake controller. It also needed power run to the back for charging on the 7 pin connector. This may have changed. I also had to buy the receiver hitch and bolt it on. Our new Frontier was truly plug and use. However, after it was set up, the Santa Fe/Sorrento was a good tow vehicle and should be even better now. Just be sure you get a model that has most of what you need for towing. Not all models are. Just found this
All models of the Sorento are up for towing. Even with the base inline-4, it’s rated at 2,000 pounds. Step up to the turbo model, which is very much up for towing, Kia officials confirmed, and you get a 3,500-pound rating. Sorento V-6 models can tow up to 5,000 pounds when equipped with AWD, and otherwise with front-wheel drive it’s also 3,500 pounds. (From an online review. ) good luck with your hunt.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #12

Yes, the v6 Sorrento rated for 5000 pounds towing has what is needed. You need to supply the hitch however.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:05 AM   #13

Thanks for the info! Tried to get more info at the dealership today - they guaranteed me it would tow 5000 lbs, which according to the owner's manual should mean a 500 tongue weight. Good thing, since I bought it!!! Regency Ted - I've never had a red vehicle! Pick up Monday, hopefully. BTW, it's the EX + - "upper middle class" model. 😉

Neamster, did you put on a WD hitch? Do you mind if I ask the price range and type of hitch receiver you got? Dealer quoted $640 for hitch, wiring harness, and install. Seemed high to me - I declined. Thanks for the help!

Brenda
Old 06-12-2016, 12:06 AM   #14

And that should be "Tegency Red". "Ted" is not involved. 🙄
Old 06-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #15

We bought the car with the hitch installed but without the wiring. We rolled this in to the price near the end of bargaining, and our salesperson needed to get the go ahead from the manager . We then got it wired with brake controller elsewhere, for $400.00.

Good luck with your red Sorrento! Will you get red Escape trim to match?