Five-month trip in an Escape 21 -- summary - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have traveled and camped with the fridge on propane, and in general it does pretty well, but at times it has gotten too warm using propane. There is another thread where folks have posted fridge temps. I'm recording a spreadsheet and I'll post August temps at the end of the month.

Right now, among other things, the freezer door is jammed shut. I've no idea what to do and haven't yet really investigated. I discovered the jammed door this morning.
Mike,
My experience with the two-door fridge is that 12v holds cold temp less well compared to either propane or 120v. Dometic (Australia) literature shows less wattage used in 12v, versus 120v/240v. We have started on travel days with 12v (solar and 2 6v), and then switched to propane in the afternoon as ambient and fridge temps went up. Remote read-out in the tow car. Overall, very happy with two-door fridge/freezer results--have had to reduce settings to avoid freezing in the fridge, sometimes.

We had a freezer upper left hinge pin problem. I can explain, if that is part of your door problem.

Agree with your "traveler" definition.
Bill

Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Mike,
Overall, very happy with two-door fridge/freezer results--have had to reduce settings to avoid freezing in the fridge, sometimes.

We had a freezer upper left hinge pin problem. I can explain, if that is part of your door problem.
Bill
I'm not getting as good results, even on propane. It's possible the fridge's fan is not working; I still have to check this out.

My freezer door is loose on its hinges, so I may be having the upper hinge pin problem. Please elaborate.

thanks,

Old 08-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Mike,
Some headings were not shown, confuse over mileage difference, also what about your gas,food expenses and other, just to get an idea on what the total costs were.
It appears that I drove 18,825 miles on the trip and spent $3,189.86 on gasoline. I'm rather dismayed by this, as I assumed camping fees would be my biggest challenge. But there it is. Spread out over more than five months it doesn't look so bad.

As for food, my spending was roughly analogous to what I spend at home, which is too much because I don't cook enough. I was careful not to eat out all the time, but I did buy frozen dinners.

My original intent was to go to New Mexico and stay for 2-3 months. I had purchased their annual camping pass for $225, so add that to my camping fees. But after six weeks of wind and rain, and having enough of a surplus in my "gasoline" account to get me to Canada, I decided to attend the Osoyoos rally. Then, while I was in the area, I had ETI replace my fridge. Then I had another solar panel put on the trailer in Oregon. Then I had friends in Oregon and California I wanted to visit, and so on. So I ended up in California, by way of Canada.

I will not be making a long trip like this in 2016.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification....I purposely did not get the microwave to avoid the frozen dinner convenience, bad calories, and hope to use the oven in the cooler times. I enjoyed stopping at local markets, both in/out Canada for fresh food. Particularly in Osoyoos.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Quote:
I'm not getting as good results, even on propane. It's possible the fridge's fan is not working; I still have to check this out.

My freezer door is loose on its hinges, so I may be having the upper hinge pin problem. Please elaborate.

thanks,
The RMD upper left freezer pin came loose in ours, but is an easy fix. See if you can identify the pin itself. It is about .75 inch long and appears to have been press fit into the chromed plate attached to the housing. If the pin comes loose, it can fall an inch or so into the plastic corner of the freezer door, and you get it out by turning the door upside down, assuming the door comes off like ours did.

The pin itself is splined, and what I did was push it into its former location in the chrome bracket from above, this time. The splines keep it from going all the way down into the bracket, (which is good) but it seems to be permanently located. Free fix, and permanent. Many thousands of miles of happy fridge use.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #16

Propane

Oh, yeah-- how could I forget my favorite substance?

I filled propane bottles eleven times, for a total cost of $131.59. I would have used more if my furnace had been working during the first several weeks of my trip. Prices varied greatly-- cheapest was in Sedro-Woolley, WA, at $1.29 / gallon in late June; highest was $3.50 / gallon at a Pilot near Spokane in early June. Two places charged a flat fee per tankful, but it was lower than $3.50 / gallon in Spokane.

The furnace uses the most propane by far. The fridge and water heater don't use that much, even when I left the water heater on all the time. And I didn't cook enough for the stove to use a significant amount of propane.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification....I purposely did not get the microwave to avoid the frozen dinner convenience, bad calories, and hope to use the oven in the cooler times. I enjoyed stopping at local markets, both in/out Canada for fresh food. Particularly in Osoyoos.
Yeah, I resolved to cook more on this trip, but continued problems with the fridge put me off. I'm having issues with the new one as well. In Osoyoos I asked Reace about retrofitting an oven into my trailer. He said it was impractical as the cabinetry is different.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #18
Site Team

Mike,
check out the Fridge Guard thread as well as putting your fans on a switch as the thermistor is too high a setting. You have been on the road so you may not have seen these See here RMD 8555 Two Door Fridge - performance stats
Refrigerator guard
Old 08-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
So I ended up in California, by way of Canada.

I will not be making a long trip like this in 2016.

That happens to many Canadians too.

Glad you had a great time.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #20
Site Team

Where is your report there, Bruce, were you not on the road awhile yourself? Still lovin my Hemi....