Gas deals for a long trip? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Gas deals for a long trip?

I often see these deals where you can get a gas credit card and then for 90 days or so (sometimes 30) get twenty cents or so off each gallon of gas. Seems like signing up for one just before a long trip would be a great saver. Has anyone tried that? And how fast did you get the card if you did?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I haven't, and I wouldn't because I don't to deal with another credit card, but it might work for some people. I would wonder how much more one would pay for gas by being stuck with that one brand, and whether the card's discount would even make up for that, let alone actually save enough money to compensate for the inconvenience of having to stop at only that brand of station. There's also the issue of missing out on whatever incentive (cashback, reward points...) that you would get on your regular card.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:07 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I contemplated this for my recent 7,000 mile sojourn to Chilliwack and Osoyoos and home. There were a lot of hoops to jump and you were limited to one type of gas. Instead I got a USAA credit card, with a fixed limit and no foreign fees. No interest and minimum payment for 18 months plus a $250 sign up bonus after 90 days of use and $1000 charges, Used it for gas, food, and motels and EZ-Pass prepaid. Also used it for my final payment at Escape and some last minute eye candy purchases made at Escape. My current balance is around $3200 and I'm sending them $250/month to pay it off within a year. I put the card in my desk upon return from the trip where it will sit until paid off. I also told them when I would be traveling and where so that there would not be any unpleasant "card rejected" events.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I'd drive 8 miles out of my way just to find one of these...
Attached Thumbnails
costco1.jpg  
Old 08-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I'd drive 8 miles out of my way just to find one of these...
For the wee saving in fuel and the terrible wait times at the pumps, I have mostly skipped on going to Costco for fuel. Maybe it is my bad luck, but both in the US and Canada filling up there has been a big hassle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #6

Costco gas stations are usually busy, especially when the price difference between them and other stations is high, but the savings are often comparable to the credit card incentive being discussed here. I don't go much out of my way to use Costco, but I do make a point of filling there if I need gas.

Costco in Canada also has its own version of a special credit card situation, as it only takes MasterCard. Of course, you can use debit if you don't have a MasterCard.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The RAV4 has such a small gas tank that there is no incentive for me to fill up at any particular place.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Costco does not sell diesel which rules it out for us. We have had good success filling up at Smith's Grocery & Safeway stores which provide discounts on diesel based on grocery purchases.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We have found that Costco gas is usually 10-15 cents cheaper than our other choices. Wait times are about 4 minutes per car times # of cars in your line.

On trips, when Costco is not available, we have settled on Love's, Flying J, and Maverik truck/auto stops. These are typically 5 cents (or more) cheaper than other company or independent stations we pass.

At least in California, Valero stations have competitive prices.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I haven't, and I wouldn't because I don't to deal with another credit card, but it might work for some people.
The opposite situation for us. While we could use our cards that we normally use in Canada we have separate US cards. Not only separate from our Canadian cards but each of us has a card in our own name, not one of being the second card on the other.

Paid off big time last year. First used in a fast food place. Half hour later it was declined at a gas station. Guess their algorithm figured out that I couldn't have gone from eating a burger in WA to buying high end stuff back East. Continued on with the other card without any problem.

We have Good Sam and while the discount isn't large we normally stop at Pilot, Flying J etc. as normally their prices are good and the facilities are also good.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
On the road, I normally look for gas near intersections of major highways. Also, be aware of which states tend to have lower prices. Fill up upon entering these states and right before leaving them. I try not to fill up if there is only one station at an exit. Higher prices paid while traveling are chalked up to the cost of having fun vs staying home. Also, use Around Me app to find lowest gas prices in an area.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The opposite situation for us. While we could use our cards that we normally use in Canada we have separate US cards. Not only separate from our Canadian cards but each of us has a card in our own name, not one of being the second card on the other.

Paid off big time last year. First used in a fast food place. Half hour later it was declined at a gas station. Guess their algorithm figured out that I couldn't have gone from eating a burger in WA to buying high end stuff back East. Continued on with the other card without any problem.
I do keep at least two unrelated cards (one Visa, one Mastercard... from different banks) for this reason, and of course there's also the debit card. I don't want a new card every trip, or separate cards for different retailers, or any other unnecessary complication.

Special cards for special purposes can cause problems. Long ago, we got a US dollar card for a trip, with a deliberately low limit to keep us from spending too much, and it was declined at about half of the limit because (back then) pre-approvals and the actual purchases both counted against the limit; I had to call the bank to sort it out, and whatever benefit we were supposed to get wasn't worth that that one hassle. Then there are the cards that get cancelled for non-use between trips...

Cards typically don't get immediately cut off for suspicious activity any more - the card company is more likely to just send a fraud alert.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #13

Trailer: TBD
My primary credit card is a Costco Visa. I think the current cash back for gas purchases is 5%, couple that with the cheaper Costco gas prices, I think it is a good deal. I also like Costco stuff. When I lived in Yreka, CA it was cheaper to drive to Medford, OR for grocery shopping and gas at Costco than to fill up and shop in Yreka. And, Costco is top tier gasoline.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The RAV4 has such a small gas tank that there is no incentive for me to fill up at any particular place.
And, if I'm hauling around on empty, my 36 gallon tank sure makes a difference out of a couple off cents per gallon!
Old 08-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Cards typically don't get immediately cut off for suspicious activity any more - the card company is more likely to just send a fraud alert.
At least one does. It was less than an hour between swiping the card at a fast food place and the gas station declining the card.

It was a mainstream restaurant but I had noticed the little handwritten sign that said "sorry chip not working, please swipe your card". But lot's of places still aren't chip card enabled so I did swipe. No doubt at all their machine was the source, it was the absolute first time that the card had been used.

When we phoned, still at the gas station, the credit card company first asked us if we'd ordered something from a store on the East coast. Then they told us why the card was made inoperative and the type of merchandise that had been purchased.

I'm happy that it didn't involve my main long time card numbers.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We use our Via US Dollar card in the US, as it gets paid our of our US bank account with no extra costs associated with it, plus we add funds to that account when the exchange rate is beneficial.

I do also carry a Visa which I normally use as well as a backup Visa and Mastercard for a total of 4 credit cards. I should be good, or if not I will use my debit card though this rarely happens. Cash is good too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've pretty much settled on using my Capitol One card (yea, I know about the breach). One and one half percent back as cash on all purchases, no international transaction fees, good exchange rate in Canada, they let me put my own photo on the card, and they have provided great service when I needed it. I rarely use cash, and pay off the card each month.

Their checking account does no fee cash at ATMs, as well as on line banking, etc

I do carry two other cards, but rarely use them.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
Costco does not sell diesel which rules it out for us. We have had good success filling up at Smith's Grocery & Safeway stores which provide discounts on diesel based on grocery purchases.
That has not been my experience here In Wisconsin. At least the three I have used all had diesel available.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #19

Trailer: none
Suggest using the free "Around Me" app as it allows you to enter a town and then lists gas stations, fuel prices and types of fuel for that area. Its not perfect, but it has worked well for planning fuel stops. Costco credit card is good for 4% off fuel purchases, regardless of where fuel is purchased so low prices at Costco and use of their credit card is a double benefit. Costco sells diesel at some locations.
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote