Georgia, Winter 2019/20 questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Georgia, Winter 2019/20 questions

Looking for suggestion for camping for next winter, Jan - Mar, anything but commercial campgrounds.

For those that know the area in or around GA, got any favorites you care to share?

Any idea if there is fishing in GA in the winter?

Already booked Feb at West Lake near LaGrange

I'm thinking it might be wise to avoid the mts in the northeast but really don't know what it's like there in the winter, maybe Mar would be okay, yes/no?

Is there any need for reservations this time of year?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
Hello! I've lived in Georgia most of my life. Our most favorite CG is McKinney. It's a Army Core of Engineers CG that's open all year. There is a marina nearby that rents boats so

It is right on Lake Allatoona which is level controlled - and it drops in winter. Temps in Georgia range from below zero to the 70's.

I can't speak to how the fish bite, but there is always fishing tips on Georgia Outdoor Network
I think the bass get ready to get on their beds in March so the fishing could be good.

https://www.gon.com/fishing/georgia-...fishing-report

McKinney feels like it's rural, but it's close to I-75 grocery stores, a Walmart (of course) and other stuff.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232639
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Looking for suggestion for camping for next winter, Jan - Mar, anything but commercial campgrounds.

For those that know the area in or around GA, got any favorites you care to share?

Any idea if there is fishing in GA in the winter?

Already booked Feb at West Lake near LaGrange

I'm thinking it might be wise to avoid the mts in the northeast but really don't know what it's like there in the winter, maybe Mar would be okay, yes/no?

Is there any need for reservations this time of year?
Hi: padlin... We really enjoyed our 2 weeks at Crooked River State Pk. on the coast near St Marys GA. Didn't fish but enjoyed the catch of the day at a few restaurants there. Unfortunately south of the "Sand gnat line" and a stones throw to the Florida state line not too far off I95 but quite quiet. Not site specific but if you reserve it's guaranteed you'll get one. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Bob I was looking at that West Point Lake near LaGrange, looked interesting but am not planning on staying there now. When we go to GA we driveway camp at our daughter and son-in-law at Fort Benning or in the post campground which is quite nice but of course limited to active or retired military.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #5

Renting a house on the lake for Feb, will camp Jan and Mar. We find the trailer gets a bit small when spending months in it in the winter. Short days and cooler temps drive us inside too early.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I've lived in Ga most of my life and would agree many great places hear to camp. I'm actually going to Crooked River State park the end of this month, 1st time there so extra excited about the trip.
I would also suggest checking the Corps of Engineer for places around Clark Hill also called Strom Thurmond lake, many nice campgrounds around it and also on the way there. There is a also a nice campground called Chattahoochee Bend in Newnan Ga. You could also try Florense Marina State park in SW GA, you could fish there for sure, be sure to visit Providence Canyon State park not far from there.
I have a place on lake Sinclair in Eatonton GA and if you just need a night or two to park it, no hookups except water but any Esacpe owner is always welcome.

All the best and safe travels.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Georgia in Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I've lived in Ga most of my life and would agree many great places hear to camp. I'm actually going to Crooked River State park the end of this month, 1st time there so extra excited about the trip.
I would also suggest checking the Corps of Engineer for places around Clark Hill also called Strom Thurmond lake, many nice campgrounds around it and also on the way there. There is a also a nice campground called Chattahoochee Bend in Newnan Ga. You could also try Florense Marina State park in SW GA, you could fish there for sure, be sure to visit Providence Canyon State park not far from there.
I have a place on lake Sinclair in Eatonton GA and if you just need a night or two to park it, no hookups except water but any Esacpe owner is always welcome.

All the best and safe travels.

Steve
I second Steve's thoughts about Strom Thurman, and Lake Sinclair. We belonged to OSYC near the dam for years. Great fishing!
Very good of Steve to make that generous offer.
Bob, on way home (late March early April?), we have a spot in mountains of NE TN you are welcome to use.
Do we need to set up a network of Escape owners RV site swaps?
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21
You might take a look a Stone Mountain state park.
They have a very nice campground. Many of the sites back right up to the lake. Not sure about the fishing.
The park is only 10 or 15 miles from downtown Atlanta.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #9

Thanks all for the suggestions, and especially Steve, George and Linda for the generous offers. I may well take you up on it.

George and Linda, one of our stops heading N or S on I-81 is Panther Creek State Park in NE TN, been using it for years. Is your property in that area?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions, and especially Steve, George and Linda for the generous offers. I may well take you up on it.

George and Linda, one of our stops heading N or S on I-81 is Panther Creek State Park in NE TN, been using it for years. Is your property in that area?
The camper property is located about 30 minutes south of Bristol TN/VA, where US 19E crosses the TN/NC line, between Roan Mountain, TN, and Elk Park, NC. To put a finer point on it; where the Appalachian Trail crosses US 19E. We have water, sewer, and 50/30 amp service. There are a number of trout streams in the area, and Watauga Lake.

We live off Exit 50 of I-81, about 35 miles from Lake Cherokee, and an hour from property. Know Cherokee very well. Used to practice USCG Helo basket lift exercises out of Panther Creek SP while in CG Aux.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Georgia Camping

Hi Bob,

We live in Tallahassee, FL, and have camped in the N Georgia mountains over the last 40 years and have stayed at lots of Georgia campgrounds on the way to and from. I too second Steve's recommendation for Lake Strom Thurmond, and can recommend specifically Winfield and Big Hart Campgrounds, both Corps of Engineers, with spacious sites, good separation and reasonable privacy. Veterans Memorial State Park, near Cordele in the center of the state is nice, far enough off I-75 not to hear it, but reasonable access.

East Lake Campground on Lake Seminole in extreme SW Georgia is another pleasant Corps of Engineers campground. It is just above Chattahoochee, FL and may be a relatively warm option for part of January -- we get only a few freezing days a year around here. It is in a somewhat isolated region, but grocery stores are reasonably accessible. Fishing year round.

Have also stayed on West Point Lake near LaGrange -- Whitetail Ridge and R. Schaeffer Heard, both COE, and can recommend both.

I do not recommend Lake Sinclair Recreation Area, a forest service campground on Lake Sinclair. The lake is nice, but that campground is pretty so-so, more oriented for tent camping than trailers.

We have camped in the North Georgia mountains in March. The last half of the month is pretty reasonable, but can get pretty cold. Most of the forest service and other public campgrounds don't open until April. We like Vogel and Black Rock Mountain State Parks. I think Vogel is open year round, and we stayed recently at Black Rock in March a day or two after it opened, but don't remember the date.

Hope this helps,

Paul
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
George and Linda, we are camping at Roan Mtn State part end of June, that is one of my favorite areas of the AT that I've done, I've only made it to Damascus on the trail and really enjoyed this section.

Would agree on the campgrounds around Sinclair, I did not suggest those. Not sure what the one just off 441 is but every time I drive past it I ask myself why is that place always full? At my place you would be parking the Escape probably best in the drive way which is gravel now but hopefully if we ever dry out here it will be concrete. If you have a 17' could also pull around to lake side and there is a flat spot right at the water. Either way in the drive way you are only 75' from the water, I have a dock you are welcome to use as well. Would just need a few days notice is all so I could be sure to let neighbors know and try to be there to meet you, its about two hours from where I live and always looking for more reasons to go .

Enjoy the journey's

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
George and Linda, we are camping at Roan Mtn State part end of June, that is one of my favorite areas of the AT that I've done, I've only made it to Damascus on the trail and really enjoyed this section.

Would agree on the campgrounds around Sinclair, I did not suggest those. Not sure what the one just off 441 is but every time I drive past it I ask myself why is that place always full? At my place you would be parking the Escape probably best in the drive way which is gravel now but hopefully if we ever dry out here it will be concrete. If you have a 17' could also pull around to lake side and there is a flat spot right at the water. Either way in the drive way you are only 75' from the water, I have a dock you are welcome to use as well. Would just need a few days notice is all so I could be sure to let neighbors know and try to be there to meet you, its about two hours from where I live and always looking for more reasons to go .

Enjoy the journey's

Steve

Steve,
Thanks for offer.

We are about 200 to 300 yards from AT depending which way you scramble out of our holler. If you can stretch your stay in to July 4th your welcome to our property. It is below Dolls Flat. Spending night on Hump Mtn on 4th provides a number of fireworks displays from that vantage point.
Hoping to see you this summer.