Going south to Mexico - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Going south to Mexico

Anyone have experiences of taking their trailers south of the US/Mexican border in January/February. Where do people go and what are the security impacts like? We are somewhat nervous about going to Mexico, but are sure there must be some out there who have gone that way to get some warmer weather and avoid the northern winter blues, especially the cold wet weather.

Thanks Much.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Ron has taken his trailer to Mexico.
Baja 2017, Maybe
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-02-2018, 05:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Fred and Dora and Charlie and Lucy are going to Baja in the next week. Maybe they will chime in.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
In addition to the linked 2017 trip, my 2016 trip is titled "Baja Bound" and if searched it comes up on p. 3, last post 04-11-2016.

It has more details of what's involved.

Ron
Old 01-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Yes, we’re leaving from California at Tecate this coming weekend with a caravan for about eight weeks in southern Baja with Fred and Dora. We’ll have plenty to report soon but this will be our first trip south of the border with “Casa Blanca”.
We’ve been hanging around the southwest for the last six weeks avoiding that New England cold!
Charlie
Joe Walsh
Old 01-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
In addition to the linked 2017 trip, my 2016 trip is titled "Baja Bound" and if searched it comes up on p. 3, last post 04-11-2016.

It has more details of what's involved.

Ron
Direct links for convenience:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...aybe-9342.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...ound-7150.html
Old 01-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Anyone have experiences of taking their trailers south of the US/Mexican border in January/February. Where do people go and what are the security impacts like? We are somewhat nervous about going to Mexico, but are sure there must be some out there who have gone that way to get some warmer weather and avoid the northern winter blues, especially the cold wet weather.

Thanks Much.
We crossed the border at Lukeville AZ in Jan. 2010. We traveled with 2 other couples; one who had made the trip before, to a resort near Teacapan. This is in Nayarit close to Esquinapa. I believe it took about 3-4 days travelling on toll highways for the most part. We had to pass through Sinaloa where we were advised not to linger because of the drug problems there. We spent 2 months on a beach and in the company of many North Americans. At the end of the the first month my wife and I stopped at a pullout on a back road. A masked hombre came running towards us with a gun and robbed us. We had met a friendly store clerk in Esquinapa who spoke English. He graciously acted as our interpreter as we made our statement to the police. Luckily our insurance provider (BCAA) covered all our losses. There were also many tales of gang violence in Esquinapa while we were there. One of the couples we went with, went back last year to Lo de Marcos which is closer to Puerto Vallarta and they had no problems. But you wont find us back there any time soon.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old 01-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
We crossed the border at Lukeville AZ in Jan. 2010. We traveled with 2 other couples; one who had made the trip before, to a resort near Teacapan. This is in Nayarit close to Esquinapa. I believe it took about 3-4 days travelling on toll highways for the most part. We had to pass through Sinaloa where we were advised not to linger because of the drug problems there. We spent 2 months on a beach and in the company of many North Americans. At the end of the the first month my wife and I stopped at a pullout on a back road. A masked hombre came running towards us with a gun and robbed us. We had met a friendly store clerk in Esquinapa who spoke English. He graciously acted as our interpreter as we made our statement to the police. Luckily our insurance provider (BCAA) covered all our losses. There were also many tales of gang violence in Esquinapa while we were there. One of the couples we went with, went back last year to Lo de Marcos which is closer to Puerto Vallarta and they had no problems. But you wont find us back there any time soon.
Hi you old Coot,
Well your highwayman story is good enough for me, I didn’t have much desire to visit Mexico before and have none at all now. If that’s “more Mexico for me” for future visitors, you’re welcome. I’ll stick to driving Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2011 19'
I forgot to mention that one of the couples we travelled with, stayed at a gated RV Park in Mazatlan for a week on the way back. They were 2 trailers away from where an armed intruder shot someone who resisted a break-in. I believe the victim was from Calgary.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old 01-02-2018, 09:59 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I know that many folks have taken an RV to Mexico and returned with no problems. Others have been robbed, shot, beaten, etc.

There are certain realities in Mexico that those of us who live near it are only too aware of. Corruption is rampant. Without a strong rule of law that is enforced uniformly and fairly, and with armed cartels running around, traveling through Mexico by vehicle is always going to be a much greater risk than the rest of North America.

We've spent time in Mexico. My wife is actually from Puerto Vallarta, and she still has relatives there. Having said that, you won't find me driving through Mexico, or pulling a trailer.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I'm no world traveler, but I know when I went to Mexico my employer gave me a card as we are a member of International SOS. Our plan provides international medical and security advice and assistance if needed, including evacuation from a country if warranted. It appears they also have plans for personal travel that are more focused on medical and personal assistance. Won't stop you from getting mugged, but it might offer some peace of mind if you have a bad accident, lose a passport or prescription, etc.

https://buymembership.internationals...sure-traveler/
Old 01-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I think that's it. Be smart, and use common sense.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:50 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This thread has been closed, traveling to a foreign country has it's risks, simple!!
Closed Thread