Grand Tetons/Yellowstone - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Grand Tetons/Yellowstone

Trip report

Just completed road trip, on the roads from central New Mexico through western Colorado, Durango, Silverton, ending at the Grand Tetons. Entire trip 8 days. Two days for the drive up, 856 miles.

First night, stay at Grand Junction, CO WalMart. Signs read no overnight parking but WalMart customer service rep said not to worry. Second night, arrive at Gros Ventre Campground (first come, first serve) 9+ miles north of Jackson Hole, no hookups $11.50 with Senior Pass. I highly recommend. Toured the Tetons. The Rockefeller Nature Preserve is wonderful.

Second night, had reservations for 3 pleasant nights at Grand Teton RV Resort Park near Moran, WY, east of Tetons. Full hookups, WiFi. Came to $43.50 per day. Too much! Heated showers but a tad scruffy. Handed an Escape business card to a guy who was really impressed with my 19, had many questions.

Spent a day in Jackson, WY enjoying the big arts and crafts festival, checked out the galleries, bought trout and Prochiutto at Jackson Whole Foods for a Barbie supper back at site #43. The next day drove 70 miles to Yellowstone. Saw no griz, no moose, and no buffalo until late afternoon drive back. Nice geysers. Spent fourth night back at Gros Ventre, prepared for early morning start for home. Still no moose.

Total miles, 2,653. Total gas, (five stops) 118.7 gallons. 2014 Silverado tow did well. I’m guessing 454 miles were driven when not towing. That results in 18.5 mpg when towing the nineteen on this trip, not bad, considering the terrain. Best gas price, $3.34/gal, at the Ute Mountain Mobil station on CO route 160 south of Cortez. Worst? Everywhere else.

That drive up from Durango to Grand Junction (route 550) was much fun, very scenic, but a killer for gas mileage. Our round trip drive through Yellowstone was merely 204 miles. At dusk I was in a hurry to get back for supper and got pulled over for speeding. Kindly ranger gave me a warning. The next 50 miles I then kept it at 46 mph and onboard Silverado computers declared an astounding 32 mpg! Maybe it was all downhill.

We drove through Moab, UT on the way home. Stopped off to tour the area. Near Arches, a drive into the Castle Rock Valley reveals great boondock camping sites along the Colorado River. The Gold Bar rec. site, in Canyonlands, is another excellent spot. We drove south of Moab to the turnoff for Needles Point and found Windwhistle campground (BLM). $7.50 with your Senior Pass. No hookups but has a water spigot. These 3 sites are beautiful, secluded, and very convenient when Arches’ sites are full up.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Was in Yellowstone this time last year. Saw Buffalo and Elk all over the place.
Attached Thumbnails
295.jpg   309.jpg   338.jpg   339.jpg  
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Great trip report, Myron...what size engine you have in your Silverado and do you tow in "tow mode"?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #4

Thanks, Jim. I have the 5.3L engine. On the final leg home onboard graphics claimed my mpg average towing for the 50 mile stretch from Monticello to the Ute Mountain Reservation area in CO was 19.1mpg... all relatively flat, and I'm doing 59-61 mph.

Was also particularly curious to know if Tow Mode made a difference in tow driveability. I mean, the trailer is a mere 4000 pounds, right?

Much up the steep hill down the steep hill, (CO Rt. 550, from grades of 5, 8, 10 ), plus switchbacks. Tow Mode provided excellent automatic transmission braking. No issues of concern. My sense of it was it also improved gas mileage on the flatter, straighter roads but this might be just me.

I then began to get the feeling my brake controller was not working and the truck was doing all the brake work. Huh? A bump or two when braking for a traffic light does that. It wasn't lit - no display on the controller. Have an appointment with Chevy next Tuesday to clarify that.
Attached Thumbnails
Canyonlands1.jpg  
Old 09-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #5

Nice Elk shot, Gerri.
Attached Thumbnails
Ye-02.jpg  
Old 09-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Trip report

First night, stay at Grand Junction, CO WalMart. Signs read no overnight parking but WalMart customer service rep said not to worry.
Well, as they say, no harm asking. Of course sometimes I think it's more productive to beg forgiveness than ask permission. You never know.

Great trip report. We also thought Gros Ventre Campground was pretty good and Jackson Hole does have a unique flavor of it's own, not to mention a very tourist friendly large public parking area right in town.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #7

Hey Ron. Those signs in the parking lot had me nervous since when we arrived there were two police cars doing some business with some guy they got out of his pickup truck a mere 70 yards from us. Went inside store, got assurances signs were a town ordinance to protect the KOA, not a WalMart policy. In morning had nice conversation with a guy in a rolling McMansion who parked behind us.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #8

Gros Ventre, Tetons, near Kelly.
Attached Thumbnails
Tetons01.jpg   Tetons04.jpg  
Old 09-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #9

Here's a few more pix from this trip....
Attached Thumbnails
Y-A030.jpg   Y-Buffalo.jpg   Ye-03.jpg   Y-JackH1.jpg   Ye-10.jpg  

Ye-05.jpg  
Old 09-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Thanks for sharing your trip (and photos). We're hoping to take in some Utah attractions next year so your information on camping certainly there helps.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote