Gros Ventre Campground June 30-July 3 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
She also said there isn't much to do around Gros Ventre unless a person likes to hike, which we are still in the baby stages of trying to contemplate.

Does anyone have any personal experience with Fishing Bridge or Rustic Wagon, or even West Yellowstone? I have no problem canceling fishing bridge if its not that great....

Thank you!!
Someone doesn't know what they are talking about, we found plenty to do around Gros Ventre. Yes, walking and some light hiking is involved.

Fishing Bridge is sites are pretty tight, but that's what you get if you want hookups in the park. It's not a bad spot for exploring the park although Canyon was better if you are staying in just one. a few nights in a couple different campgrounds would be desirable, it's a pretty big area, the roads get backed up, especially during the high season.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
We spent five nights at Canyon Village Campground (Loop L) when we first got our trailer. Great spot and not really on top of our neighbors (although, our closest neighbor was our daughter and family). Having solar was wonderful as we managed to get a spot where the sun hit the panel most of the day. No hookups but bathrooms close by (showers were nice but you did have to drive to them).

BTW, we'll be in Rapid City SD over the 4th as well, but we opted for the KOA ...

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Gros Ventre Campground June 30-July 3

There are awesome scenic sites in the area for photographers that we drove to from this campground. And the National Museum of Wildlife Art is a short drive away, on the outskirts of Jackson. We had a herd of moose in the campground for even more photo ops. We were there on September.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
In looking at Apple Maps of the West Yellowstone area, I just don't think I'd like staying at Rustic Wagon. No offense to the campground, just not our cup of tea. Fishing Bridge isn't either, but nothing is better than nothing. Wait, rephrase that, something is better than nothing...

I'm going to keep looking and will still consider Gros Ventre for part of the stay.

On a up note, we did reserve our Glacier NP stay here, which I think we will be happy with:

Columbia Falls RV Park: Campground and RV Park Near Glacier National Park Montana
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We spent five nights at Canyon Village Campground (Loop L) when we first got our trailer. Great spot and not really on top of our neighbors (although, our closest neighbor was our daughter and family). Having solar was wonderful as we managed to get a spot where the sun hit the panel most of the day. No hookups but bathrooms close by (showers were nice but you did have to drive to them).

BTW, we'll be in Rapid City SD over the 4th as well, but we opted for the KOA ...
If you head out the Rushmore way, stop in!!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
We just might as I would love to see your TA. Plan on using the KOA as "home base" for five nights so we can venture out from there (I've always wanted to see the area). I'll PM you with our cell phone number.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
We drove up to Gros Ventre about 10 AM in mid-September and got a great spot in the non-generator loop. There were several empty spots during the 3 day stay. September was busy but I don't know about major holidays. A moose cow and calf walked up and stared in our window. I think they liked their reflection. Then photographers started arriving. On the way to the visitors center is a good wildlife viewing area and the bike trail from the center to Jenny Lake is superb.
Fishing Bridge is okay. Side by side but centrally located. Two free showers per day at the office, toilets in each loop. Close to stores and restaurants.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:25 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Here is the curious moose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00311.jpg (225.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
If you did decide to go to the Tetons our experience (over Fourth of July weekend) was that Colter Bay Campground --- first come first served -- was not a problem to get into. We were surprised. We spoke to someone who'd been to Gros Ventre -- it is further south -- and she raved about it -- also not a problem to get into. Colter Bay has stores, a restaurant, boat trips, swimming, and hiking long or short -- and of course you get to see the Tetons from many different vantage points.

We passed through Yellowstone on our way and were stunned at how built up it is and how crowded it was. Lines of cars on the road at the sulfur springs we passed -- because the parking lots were filled. We actually had small traffic jams where making a left turn took a lot of courage. We stayed in Yellowstone for a month about 25 years ago and totally loved it (I cried when we left) but I think it will be challenging in the summer.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Gros Ventre is too far from West Yellowstone. We stayed in Grant Village, using it as a base to explore the Yellowstone sights. Gros Ventre works well for covering the Grand Teton area.

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote