haida gwaii - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Trailer: looking to purchase 21 foot
haida gwaii

any one out there has gone up to haida gwaii,looking for info
on the island and for camping ,picking up new 21ft then driving
up to haida gwaii,any info would be great steve
Barylski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've visited Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) with my boat. By driving do you mean taking your rig on a ferry to Queen Charlotte City and then going camping?

The best source of information is to contact the band office. They have control over the World Heritage sites and can give you specific information.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25T21RB
You might want to check out the BC Ferries rates schedule. I looked at doing the Prince Rupert to Port Hardy ferry run with my 21, and it was going to cost over $1,000 one-way. I'll wager that Haida Gwaii is just as expensive. Needless to say, I drove back to Vancouver and took the mainland ferry back to the island.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:58 AM   #4

thanks for the reply yes going to take ferry from prince rupert,driving out from ont
pick up new 21, sold castia last yr ,would like to do some fishing there,how long boat
ride for you from van
Old 01-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Ferry leaves Prince Rupert and is about a 1/2 day crossing weather permitting. Lots of places to visit along the highway from Queen Charlottee City to Masset. Should spend some time at the Skidegate First Nations centre, do the tour and eat at their cafe, and camp on the north beach outside of Masset. If wanting to fish for salmon arrange a guide/charter out of Masset Harbour.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #6

going there around second week off may, for 10 days ;hows time line look ,longer
or shorter stay ,
Old 01-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

yes ferry rates are nuts ,forget prince rupert to port hardy, looks like rupert,to skidegate,
Old 01-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barylski View Post
,how long boat ride for you from van
About two months, , single-handed up the coast, wife flew up, cruised all the historic stuff on Moresby Island. Fortunately we had friends with a float plane that flew her out of Rose Harbor. I then sailed from there, about 30+ hours to Bull Harbor at the top end of Van. Island.

For what you're doing it's quite feasible, lot's of good fishing up there, even I could catch them.

Ron
Old 01-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Drive to Rupert is nice, lots of places to camp. Mid May should be OK for chinook and halibut off of Masset. A few weeks later would be better but still worth a go. The weather is hit and miss then, bring rain gear and warm clothes, gloves, toque, etc. There are a few fishing charters out of Masset and you should book early.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We did it almost 6 years ago and went as walk ons from Port Hardy (left our car at a motel and they drove us to the ferry) overnight in Rupert then the ferry to the islands, rented a car and a motel for 5 days and drove all around--it was WAY cheaper than even just taking our car (there were 4 of us)
Was a great trip beautiful scenery even in the wet. This was mid July.

The way up from Port Hardy was rainy and not easy to see scenery but the way home was a delightful bright sunny day. On the way back from Skidegate we were sailing all night and so we rented a room with 4 bunks, then got to Rupert in the morning and spent the day kicking around that city (actually met an elderly man who had lost his wife recently and I think he was lonely, he toured us all around out to Port Edward old fishing village and all around town showing us all kinds of sites we might never have seen. (and we tell our kids not to get in cars with strangers!!) Then early the next morning the long ride down to Port Hardy-- then a few more days on Vancouver Island.
Ferry from Comox to Powell River, then another ferry to the Sunshine Coast.. I can't remember how many ferries we took but it was a once in a lifetime trip and so glad we did it...
Old 01-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
The provincial campground is past Masset at the north end of the island. From there a short drive to the end of the road and next stop (over the water)would be Alaska (which you can see on a clear day). Fantastic beaches ( Agate Beach nearby) and you used to drive for km on the sand. May is when we were there, just be prepared for a very damp cool environment, although we lucked out with lots of sunshine and no rain over four days. This was one of our most memorable trips and still thinking about it even though a few years back.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #12

how long was your stay in haida gwaii, i see your truck is ridgeline pulling
17b ,i have also rigdeline, hoping 21 is not to much for it,but got ll the time in the world now
Old 01-25-2016, 11:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
Our stay up there was 4 days. Drove up to Prince Rupert stopping in Kitimat and then returning via Port Hardy. While I would think the Ridgeline will pull a 21 just fine; I would keep aware of the "total" weight. Fuel mileage on this truck suffers when towing, but overall comfort on long distance drives ( our last road trip south to the desert was 3 months) more than makes up for us.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
About two months, , single-handed up the coast, wife flew up, cruised all the historic stuff on Moresby Island. Fortunately we had friends with a float plane that flew her out of Rose Harbor. I then sailed from there, about 30+ hours to Bull Harbor at the top end of Van. Island.

For what you're doing it's quite feasible, lot's of good fishing up there, even I could catch them.

Ron
Hi Ron,
Your post gave me the grins as I too have done that wonderful sailing trip. My boat was an engineless 30' trimaran ... well ok part of the trip I had a British Seagull. Up the coast, crossed to QCC from Banks Island, down the eastside to Rose Harbor and all the 'historical sites' along the way, out to Anthony Island and back to Rose Harbor. Seaplane taxied up and wanted me to dingy them ashore (was that you?)... did ... then in the middle of the night jumped off to Winter Harbor and down the outside of Vancouver Island and back to Port Townsend. Trip up and back took a bit over 9 months .... year was '76.

Really looking forward to finding you on the road with a blazing campfire. Have some wonderful sea stories to share and bet you do too.

Tom
Old 01-26-2016, 12:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post

Really looking forward to finding you on the road with a blazing campfire. Have some wonderful sea stories to share and bet you do too.

Tom
I departed from the South end of Banks Island to South of Burnaby Island. Long overnight sail. I was so tired that I crashed for a few hours. Didn't even hear a Beaver that picked up some folks from a boat a hundred feet away.

Yup, lot's of good stories but some I don't like to remember. Like long nights in a gale sitting in the cockpit in the blackness on anchor watch, hoping that the two anchors didn't drag.

Ron