Hardley camping. Finally! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
We're just using the stuff from our little motorcycle tent trailer, plus a few things like Anderson levelers and X-chocks.

We used to have a list for the camper but we haven't used it in years. I'll have to try to put one together.

To be clear, I'm sure that list is going to expand (and the weight increase) once we really start using the 19.
Thanks! Happy trails!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Thanks, I've been keeping an eye on your weather for weeks in anticipation.

Good idea Mary, but it won't work for me. I have to pick up Katrina (my wife) at SeaTac late Thursday night.
Safe travels!!!!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Katrina's plane should land at SeaTac in about 4-1/2 hours (11:35pm). I'm going to try and snooze a little in the car while I wait here to pick her up. Then we drive straight to Chiliwack. Hopefully, we can catch a couple hours of sleep (or at least a shower) at the hotel before our 8am orientation tomorrow. It was a beautiful day in Seattle, but the rain is starting. Should be an interesting night...
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Hey Jim, I won't come bang on your door when I get to the Lynden KOA. Figure you two might be crashed for a bit. Safe drive and I'll catch you tomorrow afternoon when I get there.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
We only got about 3 hours of sleep Thursday night but our orientation on Friday went great and we made it all the way to the Lynden KOA. It's only 10 miles but as the saying goes, every journey begins with a single step.
We've tried all the systems, and everything works. Although I found out the hard way that the new hose we bought today was missing a washer.
We unpacked the car, or should I say we packed the camper? Either way things are put in their probationary places.
We were tired and a little punchy but we didn't let our fading energy level didn't keep us from enjoying a fancy diner in the new camper!
Ok it was Mac & Cheese with cut up hot dogs but it did the job.

Nice to meet Rick (advenas) and compair notes about his new 17'.

Onwards Birch Bay today!

Connection is to slow to load pics today.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Onwards Birch Bay today!
Welcome to wet and wild Whatcom County. I envy the excitement of taking possession of a new trailer as I remember it well. Looking forward to your pics!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:11 AM   #27

Jim, glad we could meet up at the Lynden KOA. Hope the trip to Birch Bay went well. I made it 10-15 miles south of Bellingham before I realized I had forgotten to retrieve my journal and check off list, eye glasses and a towel from the picnic table. So back I went to the KOA to get everything. Finally got to Seattle about 2pm.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:15 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sounds like you need a check list.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sounds like you need a check list.
Sigh.....the trailer and hookup is a totally new process to me. And normally I camp in places where there are no picnic tables. So everything has to either go in the truck camper or in the truck. In this case I did have a check list and worked off it....while it was sitting on the picnic table..... Missed the picnic table in the final walk-around....obviously.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I jest, because when I first got my trailer, I found a "check list" posted by somebody on FGRV and in the first dozen items listed was, "Check list".
Old 03-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All is well that ends well.....
Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #32

We've finally got a decent internet connection (back at home) so here's the standard pick up at Bob's pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9539.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	23072
Old 03-30-2017, 11:36 PM   #33

We only met one of our neighbors at the KOA but he was a good one.

Name:	IMG_9532.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	23073
Old 03-30-2017, 11:55 PM   #34

I have to say right off the bat, set up and take down is easier than I hoped it would be. Even easier than our motorcycle tent trailer.

We went all the way from the Lyndon KOA to the Lynden Costco before we had someone interested in the camper. While fueling up we had a Big Foot owner asking about our trailer because his son was looking for a camper. He hadn't heard of escape but was anxious to check it out when he went past Chilliwack on his way home.

From there we went to Birch Bay State Park and took our first shot at backing in. It actually went well. Granted it was an easy site, but still there was no yelling or name calling, and almost no swearing.

I'm glad we did the KOA the first night, but Birch Bay Is more our style. It's first come first served so the sites with the best views were gone but we could still see the water.

Name:	IMG_9702.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	23074
Old 03-31-2017, 01:18 AM   #35

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Nice looking combo!!! And both so shiny....
Old 03-31-2017, 06:32 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Congrats, you must have some questions by now?
Old 03-31-2017, 10:30 PM   #37

We had a good time but it's also good to be back home now. We do have some things to organize before our next outing (hopefully in two weeks).

Here's a quick summary of the rest of the trip.

Didn't spend much time outside due to weather. One evening we caught a break in the rain so we bought some crappy, wet, gas station firewood and got it going just well enough to cook over. Still managed a lovely steak dinner with a special bottle of wine we brought back from Argentina a couple of years ago.

We had family from Oregon stay in the camper with us at Dash Point State Park. Plenty of room for the four adults, at least for a short (one night) stay.

The only issue so far is an intermittent squeal from the Maxfan. Doesn't always happen but it sure lasts a while once it starts. I remember a thread about this and I'll search it when I've got more time.

We had family business come up and pushed hard the last two days to get home from visiting friends in Missoula MT. and it wasn't that difficult.

The camper pulled very nicely. As expected the Diesel in our Jeep had power to spare.

So here are the good pictures. In spite of flood warnings we spent a night at Riverside State Park in Spokane WA. It's a pretty park, especially when you consider That it's basically surrounded by the city. We got a nice site right on the Spokane River. Check out our little pot of gold at the end of a double rainbow.

Name:	IMG_9736.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	23129

Name:	IMG_9655.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	23127

Name:	IMG_9724.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	23128
Old 03-31-2017, 11:07 PM   #38

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Glad you enjoyed our little town even under flood warnings! That double rainbow was beautiful - safe travels home!
Old 04-01-2017, 01:21 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jim and Katrina

I've had spotty at best internet connection on our overseas trip, but it is excellent to see your trailer and hear about your trip. I look forward to sharing brews with you and seeing your new beauty at the Miss. rally

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #40

Registration Information

We went to the DMV to register the trailer Friday. When we walked in the guy at the information desk told us they didn't really handle import stuff and tried to talk us out of waiting until we called "research and information" to verify the process. We decided to try anyway so he gave us a number and wished us "good luck".
While Kat filled out the paper work I called the number he had given us. After a short hold I explained our situation and got transferred to someone else. After another short hold I explained things again. That person said " Oooooo... I'm going to have to take your information and have someone get back to you."
A few minutes later our number got called and we hit the jackpot. The clerk totally knew his stuff.
I hope that anyone who goes to the East Madison DMV gets Terry. He's a total Parrot Head, tropical shirt, mellow attitude and Jimmy Buffet memorabilia all over his work station. His cube was the farthest one from the door.

Things we needed:
Drivers license
Bill of sale
Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin
Stamped import document (we got this from the driver in Sumas)
Oh, and don't forget to bring cash or a check the DMV wanted $27.00 to use a credit card.

When I pointed out that the bill of sale was in CAD. I think he would have accepted documents from the different exchanges (we had 2), but when I started to explain how we had exchanged money at different times and rates he said "Let's not overcomplicate this, what's the exchange rate now?" I looked it up on my phone and showed him, he asked if I was ok with it (which I definitely was). He asked me to do the math and wrote the number down. Easy peasy.

We were in and out in less than half an hour.

For the record I still haven't heard back from "research and information".