Hardley camping. Finally! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #41

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Oh! Happy Days!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Registration

Hi Jim
Well for all the criticism government gets about red tape it seems like you had a good experienence overall. Glad to hear you got plates and are ready to camp this season. Looking forward to seeing your new Escape. 19 sites are signed up for at Thomson as of tonight.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Jim
Well for all the criticism government gets about red tape it seems like you had a good experienence overall. Glad to hear you got plates and are ready to camp this season. Looking forward to seeing your new Escape. 19 sites are signed up for at Thomson as of tonight.
Dave
I am not wanting to be critical of your apparently "fast and painless" registration experience that lasted about 1/2 hr overall. But, I find it kind of sad that we live in a society where wasting even 1/2 hr of a persons valuable time on purely bureaucratic activities such as registering a simple camper trailer is considered to be a "good experience". I am somewhat thankful that my own trailer registration experience took about 5 min to present my bill of sale to the clerk, pay my $120 (??) and receive my perpetually valid license plate. That allowed me at least 25min of otherwise wasted time when I got home to have a nice cold one.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
That allowed me at least 25min of otherwise wasted time when I got home to have a nice cold one.
And if real thirsty, two cold ones.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Safe travels. You are gonna love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I am not wanting to be critical of your apparently "fast and painless" registration experience that lasted about 1/2 hr overall. But, I find it kind of sad that we live in a society where wasting even 1/2 hr of a persons valuable time on purely bureaucratic activities such as registering a simple camper trailer is considered to be a "good experience". I am somewhat thankful that my own trailer registration experience took about 5 min to present my bill of sale to the clerk, pay my $120 (??) and receive my perpetually valid license plate. That allowed me at least 25min of otherwise wasted time when I got home to have a nice cold one.
A long time ago the guvmint performed a survey, between census, filing taxes, keeping records, it was determined that the average person's burden is approximately 80 hours per year. So a new guvmint agency was formed whereas permission had to be obtained if a new form was going to impact the populace. Then they started issuing statements with the imprint "authorized under the paperwork reduction act" on various forms. See here for details https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperwork_Reduction_Act
Thus there is an attempt to reduce our burden, and allow more beer and poutine time.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A long time ago the guvmint performed a survey, between census, filing taxes, keeping records, it was determined that the average person's burden is approximately 80 hours per year. So a new guvmint agency was formed whereas permission had to be obtained if a new form was going to impact the populace. Then they started issuing statements with the imprint "authorized under the paperwork reduction act" on various forms. See here for details https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperwork_Reduction_Act
Thus there is an attempt to reduce our burden, and allow more beer and poutine time.
The "Paperwork Reduction Act" seems like it was doomed to failure right from the start.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #48

Just think about all the paperwork that went into the paperwork reduction act......I read someplace that they have yet to produce an airplane that can carry the blueprints that went into it's design....kill another tree.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #49

It always amazed me that for 38 years and long before that, that bureaucracy only uses one side of paper, even photocopying was done single page- what a waste. I'm done, doing off my rant about guvmint waste.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Just think about all the paperwork that went into the paperwork reduction act......I read someplace that they have yet to produce an airplane that can carry the blueprints that went into it's design....kill another tree.
Hi: cpaharley2008... My brother used to say of the Canadian Forces... in order to destroy any documents first they must be copied in triplicate!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jim, we got all our paperwork from Tammy Friday. Just for the heck of it, Monday I'm going to head into the LaCrosse DMV with it all and see if they will give me a title and license. I'm hoping I'll get someone who won't notice that the import document isn't stamped! I figure the worst that can happen is that they'll tell me that I can't register it until we get back from our trip.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #52

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
It's worth a shot. Heck, if it doesn't work keep your paper work in the car and try every DMV office you happen to drive near, somethings bound to give.

We're camping at Devils Lake this weekend. Never would have attempted that in April with our tent trailer. It rained like crazy last night and we slept great.

As the man at the DMV information desk said to us "Good Luck."
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
It's worth a shot. Heck, if it doesn't work keep your paper work in the car and try every DMV office you happen to drive near, somethings bound to give.

We're camping at Devils Lake this weekend. Never would have attempted that in April with our tent trailer. It rained like crazy last night and we slept great.

Probably not horribly crowded (like summer there) this time of year. Great to hear you're out enjoying that new beauty!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-17-2017, 06:31 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
It's worth a shot.

Jim, no luck. They looked at all my paperwork and said I had to mail it all to the "Research" dept in Madison. BUT, I went online and found a possibility that I'm going to try. The DMV website says that if you mail in your paperwork, you can take your proof of payment to certain places and get a 90 day temporary license. One of them is my local police station. So, I'm going to take it in to our local chief of police - a very nice guy - and see if he can give me one. Again - all he can do is say no! Then I may try a couple other places on the list. They sure make it hard for me to be legal and give them money!

How was Devil's Lake?

Old 04-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #55

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Jim, no luck. They looked at all my paperwork and said I had to mail it all to the "Research" dept in Madison. BUT, I went online and found a possibility that I'm going to try. The DMV website says that if you mail in your paperwork, you can take your proof of payment to certain places and get a 90 day temporary license. One of them is my local police station. So, I'm going to take it in to our local chief of police - a very nice guy - and see if he can give me one. Again - all he can do is say no! Then I may try a couple other places on the list. They sure make it hard for me to be legal and give them money!

How was Devil's Lake?
Ive never even heard of the "Research" department before all of this. They must be super busy though, they still haven't called me back.

It might just be worth it for you to drive down and see my new favorite DMV employee. We've got a nice guest room or a comfortable 19' trailer if you need a place to stay.

Devils Lake was great. It's been years since I was there. It's another park that's too nice for its own good. Way to busy in the summer. There was only one campground open and it was almost completely full.
We had nice weather during the day then it rained like crazy at night, but it didn't bother us a bit. We're loving this hardsided camper stuff.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #56

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
... paperwork reduction act ....
And in the 1980's there was the "tax simplification act". Our income tax agent at the time told us that the tax simplification act made calculating income taxes so much more complicated that he was going to have to increase his tax preparation fees. I'm not sure how much more government help I can survive.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote