Has anyone done RV camping at a BC Guest Ranch like Big Bar Ranch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Has anyone done RV camping at a BC Guest Ranch like Big Bar Ranch

We've just booked 4 days in June at Monck Provincial Lake and have two more days of camping to plan.

I happened across British Columbia Travel Guide website which got me here:
Campsites of British Columbia. Camnpsites, Campgrounds & RV Parks in BC, Canada

which got me to Big Bar Ranch which offers RV camping as one of its guest options.
Big Bar Guest Ranch - Clinton - Canada if memory serves Big Bar Ranch is a famous historic BC ranch. The RV option seems like a way to get close to a restaurant and perhaps a few vacation options

Has anyone done any RVing in a place like this .... it looks like a 4-hour run from Nikola Lake .... Trip Advisor reviews talk about a 1-hour drive on gravel....

One more question ? Has anyone camped up at Monck Provincial Park in June ? any weather reports. We booked for 4-days. if it rains we have e-books and will bring a good attitude ... it looks dry up there which we like.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Larry
Monck Provincial Park is an hour from my home and is a campground that I go to every year. the campsites are in Ponderosa Pine which provide shade and there are hiking trails that allow a circle route. Across the lake (and about 20 minutes drive away) is the Quilchena hotel, a historic operation now owned by Douglas Lake Ranch. It has a good restaurant and bar (complete with bullet hole), patio etc. A good place for a cool beverage and a steak sandwich.
You can drive backroads and explore the grasslands and end up at the community of Douglas Lake where the ranch HQ are.

Big Bar Guest Ranch is a long way from Monck. The South Cariboo is great but I suggest it needs its own trip. I would consider another camping destination closer to Monck for the 2 additional days. Consider Juniper Beach Provincial Park between Savanna and Cache Creek on the Trans Canada Highway. The campsite is on the banks of the Thompson River. This would allow you to do a circle trip where you go to Monck via the Coquihalla to Merrit, and return to Maple Ridge via Juniper Beach and the Fraser Canyon.

dave
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Thanks Dave that sounds like good advice.
We'll check out Juniper Beach

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Was at Juniper Beach about a year ago ( or was it two? ). There were lots of sites available because they had no electricity, which meant they had no hot water for the showers or power at the sites. Apparently it was a major problem to fix ( not sure it would be done by now, or if they even tried ). All the wiring was underground. Anyway, that made for a peaceful campground even though it's between the main rail line ( across the river ) and the highway. Good train-watching location.
Not trying to scare you off. I'd go back and I don't recall traffic or train noise.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Juniper has electric at "all vehicle accessible campsites" according to the Parks page.

Its on my list of campsites to try out.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
We camp up at Douglas Lake Ranch almost yearly. The Salmon lake resort has both full hookup and dry camping also cabins are available as well . Very nice place and the fishing is fantastic ( barbless fly only and electric motors ). Elevation is about 3100 ft. so it gets a little cool at night early spring and late fall . The night skies are amazing.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Juniper has electric at "all vehicle accessible campsites" according to the Parks page.

Its on my list of campsites to try out.
My understanding was that they had a problem and because all the wiring was underground, they were having problems fixing the problem. They had to find it first.
BC Parks seem to be low on the priority list, but maybe it's back up.

« Moab | Alaska Bound »