Hermione II, Maiden Voyage - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2015, 11:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
26% is extreme, but still... smoking? So you remember your road speed, the engine speed, and/or what gear where you using to get it?

I admit, I handled the situation like a real novice. I was going very slow and mashing the brakes. The 26% grade was at the very end of the pass so my brakes were already very hot.

The main problem was that my brake controller was not adjusted properly. My truck was doing nearly all of the work. In hindsight, I should have been applying the manual override on the brake controller or perhaps some of the emergency brake, but I was panicking. Lessons learned the hard way.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:55 PM   #22
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Not a lot of people consider vehicle braking ability when deciding on a tow vehicle but in your extreme situation having the size of tow vehicle you have surely saved your bacon. Things would have been even more interesting had you been at the limit of tow capacity.

None the less excellent report!
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:19 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I often to remind wifey to downshift to use engine braking downhill, just keep an eye on the tachometer.............

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:23 AM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
I admit, I handled the situation like a real novice. I was going very slow and mashing the brakes. The 26% grade was at the very end of the pass so my brakes were already very hot.

The main problem was that my brake controller was not adjusted properly. My truck was doing nearly all of the work. In hindsight, I should have been applying the manual override on the brake controller or perhaps some of the emergency brake, but I was panicking. Lessons learned the hard way.
I don't think the brake controller was the main problem, because the trailer brakes should not be continuously dragging down the grade. Applying the emergency brake definitely wouldn't be a fix - depending on GM's design, either the parking brake is just another way to run the same rear brake calipers (which would be no help at all) or it is a little mini-drum inside the "hat" of each rear disk, which is so small that it would be just destroyed without doing much good. These things are basically parking brakes, and can be used if both primary hydraulic braking circuits fail (which essentially never happens in this century), but they don't add to total braking capability.

The solution is engine braking, which is why I was asking about speeds. The weight of the truck and trailer pulling down the hill has to turn the engine, and with the transmission in a low enough gear, the engine is turning at a relatively high speed; it takes a lot of torque to turn the engine quickly with the throttle closed, so that torque works as a braking effect. Yes, all that braking is happening through the drive wheels (the rears in a 2WD pickup truck, all four if you have a 4WD that can work on pavement), but we're talking about enough braking to control speed, not panic-stop level of braking.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think the brake controller was the main problem, because the trailer brakes should not be continuously dragging down the grade. Applying the emergency brake definitely wouldn't be a fix - depending on GM's design, either the parking brake is just another way to run the same rear brake calipers (which would be no help at all) or it is a little mini-drum inside the "hat" of each rear disk, which is so small that it would be just destroyed without doing much good. These things are basically parking brakes, and can be used if both primary hydraulic braking circuits fail (which essentially never happens in this century), but they don't add to total braking capability.

The solution is engine braking, which is why I was asking about speeds. The weight of the truck and trailer pulling down the hill has to turn the engine, and with the transmission in a low enough gear, the engine is turning at a relatively high speed; it takes a lot of torque to turn the engine quickly with the throttle closed, so that torque works as a braking effect. Yes, all that braking is happening through the drive wheels (the rears in a 2WD pickup truck, all four if you have a 4WD that can work on pavement), but we're talking about enough braking to control speed, not panic-stop level of braking.

All vehicles I have ever owned prior to this one have been standards so I am familiar with downshifting and engine braking. My Colorado is automatic with a manual mode but it does not indicate what gear I am in. I was going very slow because at the end of the grade was a hairpin turn. The tachometer was nearly redlining. So, according to your comment I guess there was not much more I could do...
Old 08-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #26

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
I'll echo everyone's comments on "Great trip report"! and absolutely loved your photo!
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:08 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
I don't have extensions, and had no idea they were required in some places. I can see sufficiently without them, I just have to be a little more cautious (which is not a bad thing). Honestly, I just think they would look terrible and cheap on my truck.
We have custom fit mirror extensions for our Silverado. It took a while for them to become available since our truck was a new model. Etrailer now has a couple different versions available. Not beautiful by any stretch, but are much nicer than the universal type. You could drop an email to etrailer and they probably have an idea when they will become available. It's nice to have a better idea about what's going on behind you.

Great trip report. Wish we had taken your route back to Ohio. Everything was closing coming back from Chilliwack through Yellowstone in October. We did come down the coast to Redwoods in Northern California. Should have come back via the Grand Canyon.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Always next year.....
Old 08-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
[QUOTE=Daubsy;104287]I admit, I handled the situation like a real novice. I was going very slow and mashing the brakes. The 26% grade was at the very end of the pass so my brakes were already very hot.

Thanks for the account of your journey along with the grade information. I get cautious with 6%...needless to say the only way I will go there is by "Google Earth".
Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
You're much braver than we are. We had issues on a 10% grade coming out of Yellowstone so can I only imagine what towing on a 26% grade would do to my nerves (funny, that road has never seemed that bad in a car ... ). Glad you had a memorable (and safe) journey home.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonora Pass Grade.jpg  

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
You're much braver than we are. We had issues on a 10% grade coming out of Yellowstone so can I only imagine what towing on a 26% grade would do to my nerves (funny, that road has never seemed that bad in a car ... ). Glad you had a memorable (and safe) journey home.
Ah, now I remember that grade. We did it in a tiny '77 Honda Wagon, kids, food, and ice chest in the back, towing a small covered utility trailer packed full of our camping gear. 2nd gear going up, and 2nd gear going down.
Stopped part way down and took a cool-off-the-disk and drum-brakes break. We watched a large RV hi-tailing down the hill, and expected to see a wreck at the bottom later. No wrecks; I guess they made it.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:35 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
Enjoyed your report, thank you for sharing.
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #33

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
What IS an appropriate & safe way to descend unexpected steep downgrades?

I don't remember % grades, but I remember three notable steep grades encountered in previous travels with the Boler. No brakes on the Boler, and I warped my 1995 Ranger manual transmission brake rotors!

Coming into Death Valley from the West, out of the Panamint Range. Coming down into Carson from Lake Tahoe. Coming into Monument Valley/Mexican Hat from Natural Bridges Natural Monument, down Utah 261.

Aside from appropriate trip pre-planning (and thus missing some wonderful country & drives), is it reasonable to descend part-way, stop & rest (yourself & the brakes) at pull-outs, before carrying on? Or something else?
Old 08-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post

Brave, or stupid? Thing is, we were sort of coerced into taking Sonora Pass after a conversation with another traveler. He had just gone through Tioga Pass (Yosemite) and strongly recommended going around it. We were ill advised. We saw the warning signs but decided to attempt it anyway.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post

Aside from appropriate trip pre-planning (and thus missing some wonderful country & drives), is it reasonable to descend part-way, stop & rest (yourself & the brakes) at pull-outs, before carrying on? Or something else?
General rule: use the same gear going down that you had to use going up. If you came from a different route to the top, stay in as low a gear as you need to hold your speed with just periodic brake applications. If it seems to want to get away from you, stop & rest the brakes part way (before you're in trouble).
There's nothing wrong with 1st or 2nd gear on a steep grade when you're keeping 4000 lbs. of tow and 4000 lbs. of trailer under control. Never hurry it.
If you find you're saying to yourself "I just ...."; Pull over and think it though, then proceed slowly.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Regarding grades and surprises…

Having been caught unawares several times, I finally decided to buy these "Mountain Directories" to help us with trip planning. It doesn't mean we won't decide to go a particular route, but at least we will know what we are in for.

Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers

We have no association with the company. We bought the print versions.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:

Stoping and resting at pull outs is perfectly appropriate, either on the way up or the way down. It is always appropriate to stop and enjoy the scenery as long as there is space to get completely off the road.

Also, +1 to the mountain directories mentioned above. Sometimes they help us plan. Sometimes they remind us of where we have been, and give us confidence that we can do what needs to be done. D.W. Used to be worried when she would see signs that said '8% grade next x miles'. But now she says 'oh. We have done steeper stuff than that'
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Have a target speed in mind, usually whatever you came up at is a good thumb rule. Then gear for it, then use brakes to stay +/- 10 from that target. Never ride the brakes, apply firmly then let go. Repeat.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I am amazed with the braking performed by the "Tow mode" in certain trucks with the factory brake controller install. Mine will start to downshift as soon as I hit the brakes and continues to brake until gas is reapplied.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I am amazed with the braking performed by the "Tow mode" in certain trucks with the factory brake controller install. Mine will start to downshift as soon as I hit the brakes and continues to brake until gas is reapplied.
Chevy has had that with their bigger pickups and the Allison transmission for many years now. My Ford has it now too, though my 2002 didn't. It certainly is nice that it does that, letting you keep your foot off the brakes more.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elco, hermione, yacht