HipCamper - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
HipCamper

Does anyone know anything about Hipcamp? It's one of those websites that matches people up with others who have land where they can camp?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Never heard of it but I just took a quick look. In our area, W. MA, W. CT and E. NY there are a couple dozen sites. By far most are state park campgrounds with a handful of private properties, all the private ones I checked were tents only. $40-$50 for a tent site is a bit pricey.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #3

Thanks for looking Bob. It seems that this is like Air B&B for people who are camping. I'm not sure how long it's been around.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Both of these have been mentioned before, but I would highly recommend Boondockers Welcome or Harvest Hosts. We have only been a member of Harvest Hosts for a short time, but we plan to use them more in the future.

Boondockers Welcome is geared more toward RV owners with property that another RV can park on, but you don't need to have an available space to join or camp on another member's property.

Harvest Hosts we really like. You get to see some beautiful farms, wineries, etc, and it's customary to buy something from them in exchange for them letting you dry camp on the property.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com

https://harvesthosts.com

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My wife and I stayed at a winery (Jessie's Grove Winery in Lodi, California) on our way back from picking up our 19. It was a great experience. When we went to the tasting room, they were generous with servings as they did not have to be concerned with a driver overindulging! As they closed up for the evening, they came over and told us to make ourselves at home. We wandered all over the property. In the morning, we had the gate combination and made our way to Yosemite Park.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
We have looked at Harvest Hosts and thought it would be a great idea, as there are many hosts in our state and across the country. But, alas we opted out, as Briquet BBQ's are not allowed, and this is our preferred method of cooking. I understand the ban as some campers are not responsible, but we will miss out on a fun way to travel. Perhaps one day we will join the 21st century and get a portable gas BBQ to use at Harvest Hosts and the like.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
We have looked at Harvest Hosts and thought it would be a great idea, as there are many hosts in our state and across the country. But, alas we opted out, as Briquet BBQ's are not allowed, and this is our preferred method of cooking. I understand the ban as some campers are not responsible, but we will miss out on a fun way to travel. Perhaps one day we will join the 21st century and get a portable gas BBQ to use at Harvest Hosts and the like.
Dunno Steve. Some Harvest Host sites do allow charcoal grills - it's all up to the host. And for the ones that don't, there are plenty of other ways to cook. We don't use them as our main campsite source anyway, but it's nice to have them when we are looking for something different than a conventional campground or RV park.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Both of these have been mentioned before, but I would highly recommend Boondockers Welcome or Harvest Hosts. We have only been a member of Harvest Hosts for a short time, but we plan to use them more in the future.

Boondockers Welcome is geared more toward RV owners with property that another RV can park on, but you don't need to have an available space to join or camp on another member's property.

Harvest Hosts we really like. You get to see some beautiful farms, wineries, etc, and it's customary to buy something from them in exchange for them letting you dry camp on the property.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com

https://harvesthosts.com

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'm wondering if any Canadian forum members have joined Harvest Hosts? The Canadian map doesn't have very many Harvest Hosts, but it seems like a nice idea. I notice that there are a few Harvest Hosts in Abbotsford which is quite close to Chilliwack. That might be an option for people from out of the area coming to get their trailers from ETI

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I love the smell of manure in the morning.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
😍 Me too.

But seriously if you get to the right place it might be nice. I'm wondering if there is a good description of the properties once you sign up.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
It's in the wind

Quote:
Hey Glenn,
You need to visit us. Iowans become experts on manure smells. The only one I truly do not mind is the faint odor produced by 15 or 20 cows in a large pasture,
A thousand hogs or a thousand dairy cows are pretty severe.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:00 PM   #12

In Chilliwack it's spread on the fields. Liquid manure in the spring. Terrific corn in the fall.
Recently had two feeds of corn on the cob from California. Amazing that they can transport sweet corn to BC and sell it 4 for $3. Might have to buy more.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Harvest Hosts has a lot of wineries. They are not, however, meant to be camping spots as far as I see. Their places are intended to be quick one-night stopovers. We belonged but they never seemed to have their locations near where we needed.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:38 PM   #14

Quote:
In Chilliwack it's spread on the fields. Liquid manure in the spring. Terrific corn in the fall.
Recently had two feeds of corn on the cob from California. Amazing that they can transport sweet corn to BC and sell it 4 for $3. Might have to buy more.
I have never understood how farmers make a living selling corn on the cob! 4 for $3 is actually EXPENSIVE at certain times of the year around here. I don't know how they do it. Most people I know who like to grow their owns veggies don't bother with corn any more...cheaper to buy.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:44 PM   #15

I don't understand how a trucker makes money running corn from California to Canada, never mind the subsidized farmer. But, I don't understand how the corner store stayed in business for 40 years selling penny candy.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #16

Quote:
I don't understand how a trucker makes money running corn from California to Canada, never mind the subsidized farmer. But, I don't understand how the corner store stayed in business for 40 years selling penny candy.
The Milo Minderbinder School of Economics. "I distribute my plum tomatoes in markets all over Pianosa under an assumed name so that Colonel Cathcart and Colonel Korn can buy them up from me under their assumed names at four cents apiece and sell them back to me the next day at five cents apiece. They make a profit of one cent apiece, I make a profit of three and a half cents apiece, and everybody comes out ahead."
Old 05-19-2017, 12:18 AM   #17

I'll buy that.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:37 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hey Glenn,
You need to visit us. Iowans become experts on manure smells. The only one I truly do not mind is the faint odor produced by 15 or 20 cows in a large pasture,
A thousand hogs or a thousand dairy cows are pretty severe.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Just the air breezing past a poultry barn then your place will take the finish off your siding and your day too!!! Many thanks to chicken nuggets. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #19

I love how this thread evolved Getting back to hipcamper -- it's different from Harvest Hosts because the hosts are trying to make money from campers -- like Air B&B. Someone I know called and asked me if we'd like to be hosts -- I think probably not -- but I wanted to know more about it. Unlike places like Harvest Hosts, Hipcampers includes tent campers who'd need facilities. Of course I guess a host could limit it to self contained units.