How Crazy are we? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape
We deliberately scheduled our pickup up date in January 2014 to fit our plans to spend time at Yellowstone National Park in the winter.
yellowstone.JPG
Yep, we live in the South but drove north in the winter time. I'm sure people thought we were crazy going that direction in January. Generally, I-80 west into WY, I-25 north through WY, and I-90 to Seattle. I did plan a couple of extra days for possible weather delays and certainly watched the forecast and road conditions while traveling, but we had no delays and mostly dry roads for the entire route.
Returning, we chose to stay away from I-5 and took Hwy 101 south to San Luis Obispo before we turned east. Seventy-two days after we left, we were back home.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonF View Post
We deliberately scheduled our pickup up date in January 2014 to fit our plans to spend time at Yellowstone National Park in the winter.
Attachment 11680
Yep, we live in the South but drove north in the winter time. I'm sure people thought we were crazy going that direction in January. Generally, I-80 west into WY, I-25 north through WY, and I-90 to Seattle. I did plan a couple of extra days for possible weather delays and certainly watched the forecast and road conditions while traveling, but we had no delays and mostly dry roads for the entire route.
Returning, we chose to stay away from I-5 and took Hwy 101 south to San Luis Obispo before we turned east. Seventy-two days after we left, we were back home.
Life is best when you're not in a hurry..................

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
And you don't have to wait until the dead of winter to run into bad weather. We went through the Yellowstone Park, returning home from Chilliwack last Sept 8th. Two days later they had a foot of snow with 8 inches in Cody, Wyoming where we had stayed. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #24

Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Ok... so our trailer is going to be finished the first week of January. We're in Maine... Escape is in Chilliwack, BC.

January... Maine... British Columbia.

We're thinking of driving to BC from Maine in January to pick up the Escape. Shortest route takes us north of Lake Superior, then through Michigan, North Dakota, etc!
I think you got your Great Lakes mixed up, to go north of Superior you would be in Ontario only! I think you mean north of Lake Huron then cut south at Sault Ste. Marie into the Upper peninsula of Michigan and on through WI, MN then ND.

We traveled the route from the Soo through the UP in Jan. 2014. Some of the highway in the UP was sheer ice and on hills! I would not recommend that route.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
I have driven winter roads in Canada for most of my life and am comfortable doing so. The reason I would avoid towing my Escape in the winter is solely due to all of the salt that is used on the roads in winter to melt ice. I nearly destroyed a utility trailer last year due to corrosion that occurred after having driven about 900 km in a snowstorm in February. I could visit a truck wash with the trailer after a trip, but that can be a real pain in the buttocks in the winter. I am happy enough waiting for spring before taking my trailer out of storage and using it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:31 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I didn't want to start a new thread. Thought this might be of value to those going up or down I-5 to pickup a trailer... or taking vacation! Picture taken this morning of the Siskiyou Summit (heading South)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Siskiyoues.jpg (127.9 KB, 37 views)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:50 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I see pavement. Wet drivable pavement. YMMV.

had belowing freezing temps this morning at whatever the high pass is out of Wenatchee WA.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:37 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I have driven winter roads in Canada for most of my life and am comfortable doing so. The reason I would avoid towing my Escape in the winter is solely due to all of the salt that is used on the roads in winter to melt ice. I nearly destroyed a utility trailer last year due to corrosion that occurred after having driven about 900 km in a snowstorm in February. I could visit a truck wash with the trailer after a trip, but that can be a real pain in the buttocks in the winter. I am happy enough waiting for spring before taking my trailer out of storage and using it.
To me, the road salt/brine would be the major reason to have ETI store it until May. If you do that, you can attend the annual rally and have pleasant weather for the return trip.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
To me, the road salt/brine would be the major reason to have ETI store it until May. If you do that, you can attend the annual rally and have pleasant weather for the return trip.
Trust but verify: States that don't use road salt

I know Washington State does not use salt. Edited: Other articles cite Washington State as a minimal salt user so, as stated above, always verify. Even Abe Lincoln said that everything one reads on the Internet is not true.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Salt States.jpg (46.3 KB, 11 views)
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #30

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
They use a lot of salt brine here in Alaska and say it isn't corrosive, but any chloride (sodium, magnesium, or calcium) is corrosive. I call the stuff "Car-be-gone".

AKCamper is online now   Reply With Quote