How do you play tolls in Canada? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #1

Trailer: None now
How do you play tolls in Canada?

We were thinking of going to Lynn Canyon if we arrive in Chilliwack a day or so early to explore as it looks interesting. One roadblock to this idea is we can't figure how we would pay the toll if we go all the way up on BC-1W or part of way with most being on BC-7 W.
The sites we are finding seem to say they do not take cash so we are trying to figure out if there is a way to prepay or what?
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You would encounter toll on Port Mann Bridge or Golden Ears Bridge. I don't know of any others. There are ways to get around the toll bridges, but you may waste a lot of gas and save nothing.
Go here to find out how to pay toll:

https://www.treo.ca/
Old 03-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I wondered this as well. When we went to Vancouver to sight see during our pickup there was supposed to be some kind of automatic toll, but we never received anything. I had assumed it was based on license plate, but maybe I have a warrant outstanding in Canada and will find out when I return some day.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #4

Go here: https://www.treo.ca/
Cameras on the bridge read your plate and they will mail you an invoice. Perhaps your plate couldn't be read.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
It would be really nice if all the States and all the Provinces would execute interlocal agreements and agree on a standard transponder to "pay" tolls such as the E-Z Pass used in the Northeast USA or the Florida Sunpass. In the computer age, transferring funds to the correct recipient would be easy, and it would definitely make travel easier for all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I went to pay harbor dues in Antwerp. They were less than $5.00 so I wanted to pay directly. No, said the harbor master, you'll be billed. But I won't be back in Canada for a long time I said. He started whistling "It's a long way to Tipperary". I got it. Guess I still owe harbor dues.

But seriously, my sister lives in WA and has WA plates. Don't think she's ever received a bridge toll bill.

Lynn Canyon is the best deal around. A free suspension bridge that can get a little bouncy at times. It's free, the other one costs an arm and a leg.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I have crossed the Port Mann bridge a couple of times since the toll was initiated and I have never received an invoice. Probably because I have Alberta plates on our truck and trailer. I don't think one has to worry about a warrant if they've never sent an invoice for you to pay.
etuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #8

TREO probably can't afford the postage to send you a bill:

The move follows the release of provincial budget numbers that show the bridge lost $86 million last year, followed by projected losses of $100 million in each of the next three years, pushing its total debt to $3.68 billion by 2018. The losses are significantly higher than what was predicted in 2012-13, when it was forecast the net loss for 2014-15 would be $28.3 million.
-Vancouver Sun
Old 03-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by etuna View Post
I have crossed the Port Mann bridge a couple of times since the toll was initiated and I have never received an invoice. Probably because I have Alberta plates on our truck and trailer. I don't think one has to worry about a warrant if they've never sent an invoice for you to pay.
TReO certainly bills Alberta vehicles; however, they may have trouble reading your plate. I crossed the Golden Ears bridge twice in each direction during one visit, and my account was only billed for the northbound crossings. I think the camera system watching the rear of the vehicles in the southbound lanes was malfunctioning, and they hadn't noticed because B.C. vehicles have front plates (Alberta only has rear plates).

That leads to an item from the TReO FAQ:
Quote:
What happens when I’m towing a trailer? Which licence plate number is billed?
When you're towing a trailer there are two things to remember. First, you'll probably be charged the medium vehicle rate of $6.30 because of the added length. Second, the front licence plate on your vehicle will be billed, not the licence plate on the back of your trailer. If you're paying ahead of time or making a one time payment, make sure you pay by the front licence plate on your vehicle. If you are registered with a TReO account, you will be billed automatically and don't have to worry.
With no plate on the front, and a trailer in the back, I don't see how they would bill anyone with a trailer from the six provinces, three Canadian territories, or twenty states that don't require a front plate. Maybe we just get a free ride.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
We were thinking of going to Lynn Canyon if we arrive in Chilliwack a day or so early to explore as it looks interesting. One roadblock to this idea is we can't figure how we would pay the toll if we go all the way up on BC-1W or part of way with most being on BC-7 W.
The sites we are finding seem to say they do not take cash so we are trying to figure out if there is a way to prepay or what?
I haven't read this entire thread, so I may be a little off base, but in Feb 2016, we travelled from Vancouver to Osoyoos. There was a toll bridge in-between somewhere; can't remember where.

We were advised to just pay online, which we did. No problems. Just sailed on through.
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
I've never been able to figure out how the tolls on the Port Mann bridge work.

When we are using our vehicle with Alaska plates visiting friends in Vancouver we never get charged.

When using our vehicle that we keep in Washington, or a rental we always get charged. Maybe the bear on the Alaska plates frightens the cameras? Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat Bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
I haven't read this entire thread, so I may be a little off base, but in Feb 2016, we travelled from Vancouver to Osoyoos. There was a toll bridge in-between somewhere; can't remember where.
The existing toll bridges (the ones handled by TReO) cross the Fraser River, within the greater Vancouver area, but east of the City of Vancouver.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #13

Trailer: None now
OK, we saved the link and hopefully they will update the toll quickly so we can pay it when we get back to the hotel.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote