How many (max) miles do you like to drive? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I presently use one of those in my truck when towing, really makes a big difference on those cross country races to Osoyoos.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Wonder if any of them really work?
Old 03-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #23

Mine seems to help with leg cramps.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #24

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I presently use one of those in my truck when towing, really makes a big difference on those cross country races to Osoyoos.
Was it one of the ones mentioned in the review I posted? Which one? Thanks.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Was it one of the ones mentioned in the review I posted? Which one? Thanks.
The first one.....
Old 03-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
When I was working we would drive many hundreds of miles per day to get some place so we could be there for the weekend and then more hundreds of miles a day to get back for work. The longest was a shade over 700 miles in one day with our Casita trailing along behind because, well, had to go to work the next day.
No more.
We received some good advice from some folks we know who have been full timing now for a few years. They call it the 2-2-2 rule and now that we are retired (and full timing in our Escape 21) we are finally beginning to adapt to it, and like it ...
2-2-2
200 miles per day
Off the road by 2pm
Stay for 2 nights (so you can actually find out something about where you are, and rest up for the next drive ... )
keager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Easy driving days are about two to fours driving time. Tougher driving days can be eight to twelve hours driving. I have done even longer drives (up to about 17 hrs), but that is getting into hazardous territory, both for myself and others.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
With us, it depends where we are going. When we picked up our Escape, we drove from just north of Tampa to just past St. Louis the first day, to just south of Ft. Collins on day two, to Twin Falls, ID on day three, and to Ferndale, WA on the fourth day. I have also towed hundreds of miles in a day, or under a hundred in a day. The deciding factor is the sun. I like to be where we are spending the night before the sun sets, even if we do not reach our intended destination. As far as the rule of 2s goes, I doubt I would ever buy into it as we do not full time, and there are some places, primarily in the middle of the continent, that I have no desire to spend 2 days exploring, or even 1 for that matter. The prairee really does not stimulate my sense of adventure. Perhaps if we were full timing, it might be different.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by keager View Post
2-2-2
200 miles per day
Off the road by 2pm
Stay for 2 nights (so you can actually find out something about where you are, and rest up for the next drive ... )
My wife would love the 2-2-2 plan. Mine's more 2-2. At 2 o'clock I say "we can make another 200 miles by supper time."

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #30

The prairee really does not stimulate my sense of adventure.
Same here, until I attended a Scamp Rally in Minden, Ne in 2012, stayed at a cg adjacent to Pioneer Village
What a place, I was only able to see 3 of the more than dozen warehouses that contain everything and anything. Every Ford made thru 1970, over 4,000 rifles, an entire train station. My point being, I have to return here and see the rest of the story.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Two nights at each stop

We try to stay under 300 miles per day and stop for two nights at each stop. This gives us a chance to do some hiking or touristing along the way. We always want to be set up at a campsite well before dark. We do drive longer to get in and out of Massachusetts.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
. The prairee really does not stimulate my sense of adventure. Perhaps if we were full timing, it might be different.
Everybody is stimulated by different things or " Different strokes for different folks." . We don"t find Florida stimulating or adventurous even during a Wisconsin winter. There are a lot of great things to see in the Midwest and the Prairie States if one wants to look .
IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
6 hours on the road is about my limit for a good day traveling.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #34

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
For those of us headed to attend events or visit people in another city, the prairie tends to be a big stretch of flat nothing. Get down into the river valleys, or off the main highways and into the lake country that doesn't make for easy roads, and there's lots out there to see.

This gets back to a key point in travel planning: what's the objective?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Everybody is stimulated by different things or " Different strokes for different folks." . We don"t find Florida stimulating or adventurous even during a Wisconsin winter. There are a lot of great things to see in the Midwest and the Prairie States if one wants to look .
IMHO
I'm glad you said that Steve, because I have said many times in previous posts that what is good for one person is not necessarily good for another. I guess we agree on that. And for the record, I said I was not stimulated by the prairee, I did not say there wasn't anything to do in the prairee states. And I never mentioned the Midwest. Frankly, I don't find Florida particularly stimulating either; I only live here because after 37 years in New England, I was sick of snow, cold, and road salt, etc. And frankly I do not find Wisconsin particularly intriguing either. So I avoid the place in much the same way as I am sure you avoid Florida. I also find fishing and baseball extremely boring, but I would not critcize anyone who enjoys those activities. Nor would I "lecture" anyone who doesn't like the places and things that I do. So yes, different strokes for different folks with the caveat that each and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, such as my dislike for Georgia's state parks......even if that opinion may be somewhat distasteful to others.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:53 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I'm glad you said that Steve, because I have said many times in previous posts that what is good for one person is not necessarily good for another. I guess we agree on that. And for the record, I said I was not stimulated by the prairee, I did not say there wasn't anything to do in the prairee states. And I never mentioned the Midwest. Frankly, I don't find Florida particularly stimulating either; I only live here because after 37 years in New England, I was sick of snow, cold, and road salt, etc. And frankly I do not find Wisconsin particularly intriguing either. So I avoid the place in much the same way as I am sure you avoid Florida. I also find fishing and baseball extremely boring, but I would not critcize anyone who enjoys those activities. Nor would I "lecture" anyone who doesn't like the places and things that I do. So yes, different strokes for different folks with the caveat that each and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, such as my dislike for Georgia's state parks......even if that opinion may be somewhat distasteful to others.
I have to agree , I find Wisconsin neither intriguing , stimulating ,facinating or particularly interesting so we are on the same page.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Day length effects travel time too

Last year was our first year with our trailer. We had two trips that involved 1500 miles or so one way and we had committed arrival dates. We tended to do 2 long (greater than 8 hours) days on the road with easy in and easy out type campgrounds then a stop of two nights with using the day to see something or do laundry and grocery shopping, Then we started the pattern again.

Our last trip ended in September and we noticed that the "long" days meant that we were arriving to campgrounds at or after dark. (Can't seem to leave camp before 10 a.m.) Even with the same number of hours of driving (I am the only driver), the nightfall made the day much more tiring. On the interstate, I normally keep it to around 70 mph, on the side roads, it depends on the conditions. We have done some mountain roads where averaging 20 mph was plenty.

This year, we have planned our trips to include mostly 3 nights in one place. Although, like many have noted, the urge is to do a few one night stops in the beginning to get out of familiar territory. We are just getting used to being retired and learning that we CAN take the time if we just let ourselves.

This fall we can compare our satisfaction with this years style to last year's. The bottom line seems to be that each driver/ passenger pair has their own "right" travel mode.
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:08 AM   #38

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
While I try to do no more then 7 hours or so, the exceptions are if I have a deadline, it's winter and I want to get as far south as fast as I can, and the day closest to home. We'll drive further on a long trip the first day out just because everything close by is old hat, and I just want to eat up some miles while I'm fresh. We'll push it on the way home, seem to be ready to be home after a month or 2 and feel no need to camp a couple hours from home when we could be home instead.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:27 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
While I try to do no more then 7 hours or so, the exceptions are if I have a deadline, it's winter and I want to get as far south as fast as I can, and the day closest to home. We'll drive further on a long trip the first day out just because everything close by is old hat, and I just want to eat up some miles while I'm fresh. We'll push it on the way home, seem to be ready to be home after a month or 2 and feel no need to camp a couple hours from home when we could be home instead.
Interesting that you made the winter comment, Bob. When it's summer in Florida, I want to get to the higher elevations where it is typically cooler and less humid as fast as I can. 7 hours will only get me as far as Hotlanta, as the residents of Atlanta call it. 12 hours will get me to Knoxville or Nashville so my first day out is generally a marathon. Where I stop may not be much cooler, but it is always less humid.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:40 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For those of us headed to attend events or visit people in another city, the prairie tends to be a big stretch of flat nothing. Get down into the river valleys, or off the main highways and into the lake country that doesn't make for easy roads, and there's lots out there to see.

This gets back to a key point in travel planning: what's the objective?
100% in agreement with you Brian. I think that is the major problem with the US interstate highway system and its counterpart in Canada. They were designed to get you from point A to Point B as quick as possible. "Blue Highways" are almost always more interesting, but as you so aptly stated, travel planning usually revolves around the objective which, more often than not, is the final destination.