How many (max) miles do you like to drive? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Old 03-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
Trailer: 2016 17B
How many (max) miles do you like to drive?

So we got our 17B last week. In the next month we're going to camp in the driveway and at 1 or 2 campgrounds within 20 miles of where we live.

But early May we have two weeks to enjoy the 17B. We live on Whidbey Island in NW Washington State. We're thinking of Canadian parks; the Wallowas in NW Oregon; Rainier, Crater Lake, and the Oregon coast, or staying right here in Washington.

I know there are endless variables (personal stamina, tow vehicle, RV, preferences, where you're driving).

So here's my question --- and I've never used or owned an RV -- how far in terms of your personal preference, is an ideal distance to drive in a single day?

Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Are you asking the per-days miles? or trip miles?

We've done 50-60 miles a day when exploring the Olympic peninsula.
We've done 500+ miles a day when our exploration destination is a long way off.
The most: did you know that it's 1200 non-stop miles from points on the Columbia river to our home in So.Cal.? (I don't recommend it, you miss scenery during night driving).

Total trip mileage: as soon as I retire in Dec., our range is "over the next 20 years, anywhere in the 11 western U. S. States, BC, and Alberta, at any time, and throw in one or two trips to the Atlantic side of the continent, as well.

Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
Not sure about miles, but if we have a destination, we will usually travel between 4 and 6 hours. Depending on the terrain (mountains, etc.) that usually equates to about 200-300 miles/day. We're planning a trip to South Dakota this summer and our longest stretch will be from home to Winnemucca NV, about 7 hours (440 mi). No real stops planned as we've seen the landscape from here to Reno many times and there's not much to see from there to Winnemucca.

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Now that I'm retired on long trips we try and do roughly 350 miles a day if there is no where we want to stop along the way. Have done as much as 600 when I worked, but it leaves me shot for a couple days. After a couple days of 350 +/-, it's nice to do a real short day, or better yet stay put for a day or so. Normally we try and pull into a campground early in the afternoon, gives us time to putz around the campground or surrounding area a bit. Unless it's a holiday or a saturday we can get away without reservations doing it this way.
Happy Motoring
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I don't like to drive more than about five hours a day when towing. That makes it more likely that I won't be too tired when I arrive at my destination. It gives time to hitch up in the morning and set up the trailer at the destination while having some daylight left, and maybe stop for lunch on the way.
Mike Lewis
She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie-- Propane.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
Trailer: 2017 21 due 4/15/17 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 17B "Blue")
Steve, for me, towing miles are longer than "regular" driving miles. Having the trailer back there adds just enough stress from extra concentration and constantly checking mirrors to make sure all is well back there. When towing we usually try to keep it less than 6 hours so that we can actually enjoy ourselves wherever we get to. But sometimes that urge to get there takes over and my back ends up mad at me.
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #7
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
We make long trips from Texas going both east and west. We have found a sweet spot between 275 and 325 towing miles a day. We try to stop by 2pm or no later than 3pm. It gives us time to relax, walk a bit, have dinner and be rested for the next day.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
Trailer: 2015 escape 19
On our current trip from Michigan to Florida we drove 12 hours the first day. We take turns driving so it's not so tiring for one driver. Drove a shorter distance the second day and stopped early and enjoyed the warmer weather before driving to our destination.

That long day is tiring but in February we just wanted to get to a warmer climate so the long drive didn't bother us
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #9
Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight"
The benefit of traveling/camping with your own trailer: You can set your own pace!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #10
Trailer: 2016 17B
50-60 miles per day on the Olympic peninsula sounds like a relaxing trip.

Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote