How much time to allow for first visit to Sedona area - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
How much time to allow for first visit to Sedona area

I am sure I will get a wide variance on this question. Picking up 21 in March and working our way south to Sedona area. First time visitor and not sure how long to stay to get an overview of area. Thank you in advance for any help.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
I am sure I will get a wide variance on this question. Picking up 21 in March and working our way south to Sedona area. First time visitor and not sure how long to stay to get an overview of area. Thank you in advance for any help.
It depends on whether you like to hike or off road. If you do, you could easily spend a week or more. If you just want to get a feel for the town, a day or two is plenty.

This & the next couple of pages show the result of a long weekend last December that included Scamp Camp Southwest (it also includes some photos from a day trip to Jerome). Short hikes & driving to most of the locations for the photos.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Beautiful area. Fun town if u don’t mind it being “touristy.”
Also a number of outdoor activities.
I could spend 4-5 days easy, but I’m easily entertained.
Enjoy.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We’ve lived within an hour and a half of Sedona for 21 years and spend time there every year. Still haven’t covered it all and some top restaurants there if you enjoy dining out. Hiking, jeeping and a very good wine country on the S side. Then there is the whole Cottonwood, Clarksale, Jerome area just 20-30 min away not to mention all Flagstaff has to offfer. 3-5 days should give you an overview and the parts of Sedona to hang and those to avoid. It is a magical place when you get in the back country trails with the Redrocks and you will want to go back.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Affirming all the above answers. *Beautiful* country, a variety of hikes at different levels/distances, lots of expensive/arty shops, some woo-woo places as well--crystals, etc. If there's nothing reasonable in the immediate area, Dead Horse Ranch State Park is @25 min away. Also seconding spending a half day in the town of Jerome but don't take your trailer. There's enough in the area to keep you busy for at least 3-4 days or easily, more.

If you haven't been to the Grand Canyon, you're close enough that it'd be a shame to miss it. Las Vegas to Kingman to Williams. You could stay there two nights (a nice KOA with an indoor pool) and do a long day up and back from there, then head south to Sedona the next morning. There are other campgrounds closer to the south rim. The KOA is about an hr from the park.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:17 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We did a week our 1st visit, it was a decent amount of time. Spent another week last year and headed there for 2 more this winter. We love e the hiking.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Grand Canyon in March/April can be brutal camping on the S Rim. I've been camped there in tents in late April waiting for our permit to hike in and the temps have been from below zero to 10 degrees overnight.
Flagstaff/Williams area in late March early April can be a crap shoot as well on the weather, but most assuredly not as severe as the S Rim of the Canyon can be at that time.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Yes, definitely watch the weather. When we were there--mid feb '16--It dipped below freezing at night but was nice weather for hiking in the day, and the canyon was spectacular without haze. There were patches of snow here and there. You'll have to monitor weather and temps as it gets closer.

Also be aware that April 1 is Easter, and the week immediately before/after are likely spring break with much bigger crowds at the canyon.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Love the hiking at Bell Rock & Courthouse trails, but it gets busy there so best to arrive before 8 AM. We've parked our trailer there as well. Don't forget to pay or display your Geezer Pass!
Old 01-26-2018, 06:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
Thanks to all who have offered suggestions and helpful advice. The weather is a slight worry but hopefully it will cooperate. Plan to give the Grand Canyon Railway a try while there. We will probably spend a few days in the area while on our journey back home.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote