How to save water while boondocking? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Wow, a portable 50 gallon holding tank must be big! Where would an Escape camper store it? How and where would you dump it? When full it must be close to 400 pounds.
They normally are pulled behind since they have wheels to the dump location.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Do you have an outside shower, Laura? I would use that to wash my hair every few days. If not, I have a solar bag shower I use to wash my hair - takes forever to heat up in the sun, but if you put in some room temp water and a kettle of very hot water, it works well. Then it doesn't take much water to sponge bath in the trailer. A full shower once a week might do it. I find if my hair is clean, I feel clean!

And definitely take a few 5 gallon water jjugs - always somewhere to fill them, even if it's a bit of a drive!
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
They normally are pulled behind since they have wheels to the dump location.
That can be a mighty long way in/at some camp sights! If it's not far, I suggest bringing the trailer to the dump station
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Wow, a portable 50 gallon holding tank must be big! Where would an Escape camper store it? How and where would you dump it? When full it must be close to 400 pounds.
Quote:
That can be a mighty long way in/at some camp sights! If it's not far, I suggest bringing the trailer to the dump station
Usually the monster portable tanks belong to monster size bus type RV's with toads that are larger than my tug.

I've seen them pull the portable tank over to the dump with all sorts of vehicles ranging from a golf cart to their tug. They just put the handle on a trailer ball or whatever.

I was given one large type. I looked at it for a while and decided that it wasn't worth carrying with us. I made one from a 5 gal. square plastic container. From time to time it comes in handy.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I made one from a 5 gal. square plastic container. From time to time it comes in handy.

Ron
Clearly labeled I hope.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Clearly labeled I hope.
Well it's yellow so that's a bit of a reminder.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We have camped with two adults and two teens in our 19' with no services for three to five days, showers every second day, and did not run out of water. With some conservation measures, you should have no difficulties boon docking in a 21' for five days by yourself, without running short of fresh water or having to dump tanks. If you do fill the black tank yourself in five days, you may want to rethink your diet or consider getting yourself checked over by your doctor.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #28

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions.

We do have a small dump tote that we bought second hand. It wouldn't completely empty the tanks(s), but it would do if I was getting full. However, not at the swap meet as there isn't anywhere to dump a tote. We're parking in fields and such. The RV park is quite a ways away and I'm not going to get the truck out of my spot during the week.

Hey, after getting on this low FODMAP diet I don't have to worry about overflowing the black tank like I would have a few years ago. (same diet will work for anyone with IBS.)

Hair is too short to braid. Don't have an outdoor shower. I'll try out some waterless shampoo stuff ahead of time. I used some years ago and it was pretty worthless, but maybe they've improved over the 25+ years since I last tried 'em.

I'll look into the solar bag shower idea, thanks.

I know I've seen mention of the pumps for transferring water to your tanks before. Can someone please provide some names/links to what you're talking about? Thanks
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #29

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Usually the monster portable tanks belong to monster size bus type RV's with toads that are larger than my tug.

I've seen them pull the portable tank over to the dump with all sorts of vehicles ranging from a golf cart to their tug. They just put the handle on a trailer ball or whatever.

I was given one large type. I looked at it for a while and decided that it wasn't worth carrying with us. I made one from a 5 gal. square plastic container. From time to time it comes in handy.

Ron
At Okanagan North Provincial Camp Ground the closest dump site is down the highway and into the next town 1/2 an hour or so! I doubt the ZrCMP would think kindly to this style tow service!!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I've tried the waterless shampoo - better than nothing but not as good as a wash.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:45 AM   #31

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I know I've seen mention of the pumps for transferring water to your tanks before. Can someone please provide some names/links to what you're talking about? Thanks
I don't use one but this is a 12v transfer pump. Obviously you need to be able to get to 12 volts.

12 Volt DC Transfer Pump
Attached Thumbnails
image_26978.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
That is what I use and the brand I have is Wayne. Probably have transferred over a 1000 gal. of water with it by now. Connects to the battery on the truck. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #33

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13'
Live like a millenial...dry shampoo!

Quote:

Hair is too short to braid. Don't have an outdoor shower. I'll try out some waterless shampoo stuff ahead of time. I used some years ago and it was pretty worthless, but maybe they've improved over the 25+ years since I last tried 'em.
Is waterless shampoo the same thing as dry shampoo? Most of my female friends and co-workers only wash their hair 1-2 times a week and use dry shampoo the rest of the days. And I'm talking about IRL, not when camping. Oribe Gold Lust Dry Shampoo is the best, but $$$!
Teresa M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
When we decided to travel in our 19' Scamp, i looked at the 12 Gal water tank and realized I needed to carry more water. I bought a 30 gal polyethylene tank with a screw lid and hooked up the same model rv water pump that is in the trailer in the truck. I strapped the tank in the front of the bed in the truck. I used compression fittings and a hose fitting on the outlet. I have it wired to an old deep cell for power(it does not use much) now i have running water in my truck and can go get water as needed to refill the rv tank or wash off dirty grandkids. As an added bonus when we arrived at a music festival and were looking for our friends and campsite my wife asked why there was water pouring out the back of the camper The pump head was broken and so much for a full tank....a little jury rigging and I was able to hook the truck tank to the city water fitting ...problem solved!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #35

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa M View Post
Is waterless shampoo the same thing as dry shampoo? Most of my female friends and co-workers only wash their hair 1-2 times a week and use dry shampoo the rest of the days. And I'm talking about IRL, not when camping. Oribe Gold Lust Dry Shampoo is the best, but $$$!
I don't know Teresa. I haven't started doing any research - yet.

Holy crud! Almost 50 bucks for an 8.5 oz bottle!!!!

Yeah, need to do some research here. Holy cow!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Millennials, Jeez I love them. They know how to spend money, have fun and look good doing it. The Ohio State University turns out a great product. Go Bucks
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #37

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13'
Quote:
I don't know Teresa. I haven't started doing any research - yet.

Holy crud! Almost 50 bucks for an 8.5 oz bottle!!!!

Yeah, need to do some research here. Holy cow!

Don't worry... lots of less expensive options out there that also work great... any drugstore, Target, Wal-Mart, etc has a whole wide range of options! $50 is pricey, but it does last a long time, especially for someone with short hair. Good luck!
Teresa M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa M View Post
Don't worry... lots of less expensive options out there that also work great... any drugstore, Target, Wal-Mart, etc has a whole wide range of options! $50 is pricey, but it does last a long time, especially for someone with short hair. Good luck!
Hi: Teresa M... I'm with you!!! I think "Dry cleaning" and Wash&wear hair is so convenient!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Millennials, Jeez I love them. They know how to spend money, have fun and look good doing it. The Ohio State University turns out a great product. Go Bucks
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Watch out... your bias is showing. LoL Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 homemade
Dry shampoo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bonnieh is offline   Reply With Quote