How to save water while boondocking? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #41

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
You could keep your grey water tank usage down by washing up in a plastic basin and disposing of it outside the trailer somewhere in the bush. We recently camped in a dry location and the host suggested that the plants would appreciate the grey water. Although Packwood, WA is not a dry area, generally grey water is not an issue.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
You could keep your grey water tank usage down by washing up in a plastic basin and disposing of it outside the trailer somewhere in the bush. We recently camped in a dry location and the host suggested that the plants would appreciate the grey water. Although Packwood, WA is not a dry area, generally grey water is not an issue.
We do this all the time, on crown land or our own land. The only exception is we don't in a more crowded public campground.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Great idea using the basin . you could also use the washing water in basin for toilet flushing instead of using fresh . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just do not confuse which pot is which......
Old 03-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We collect our dish water / basin water in a 5 gallon bucket.
We use the grey water in the 5 galion bucket to extinguish our campfire . I could never see the sense of using clean , potable water for this purpose unless there is no other alternative.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The only exception is we don't in a more crowded public campground.
And a lot of them specifically prohibit dumping of grey water into the surrounding area.

We also use it for toilet flushing. When the pump's not left on full time you can prevent fresh water from being used to flush when you have sink water to dump.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
And a lot of them specifically prohibit dumping of grey water into the surrounding area.

We also use it for toilet flushing. When the pump's not left on full time you can prevent fresh water from being used to flush when you have sink water to dump.

Ron
Dang Ron we sure think a lot alike ! Pat
Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I save my grey water in the grey tank and use it to flush the slinky after dumping the black tank.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
This is pretty obvious ... but while traveling with guests on my boat ... I found myself always barking at my friends to shut off the water while brushing their teeth. I guess long term habits of letting the water run between wetting the brushings are hard to break .... but is a potential loss of perhaps a 1/2 gallon of water without even thinking about it.

Our trailers are so nice that it is easy to forget that one is not "home" with endless city water.

Tom
Old 03-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
This is pretty obvious ... but while traveling with guests on my boat ... I found myself always barking at my friends to shut off the water while brushing their teeth. I guess long term habits of letting the water run between wetting the brushings are hard to break .... but is a potential loss of perhaps a 1/2 gallon of water without even thinking about it.

Our trailers are so nice that it is easy to forget that one is not "home" with endless city water.

Tom
Seriously? I don't do that at how either. Just a quick wet, then a rinse is all.

I remember seeing a guy at the gym run hot water the whole time while shaving. I asked him why he did not just put a bit in the basin to use, or just turn the tap on to rinse the razor, then shut it off. I just got glared at.......
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
while traveling with guests on my boat ... I found myself always barking at my friends to shut off the water while brushing their teeth.

Tom
Well now, there's the difference between us. I never barked at guests about water use. I just made sure the pump was turned off so that they'd have to use the hand pump. The pressure system was only turned on for showers and they got a little talk beforehand about not letting the shower run continuously.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well now, there's the difference between us. I never barked at guests about water use. I just made sure the pump was turned off so that they'd have to use the hand pump. The pressure system was only turned on for showers and they got a little talk beforehand about not letting the shower run continuously.

Ron
In other words " Navy Showers " ! Pat
Old 03-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I read someplace that the amount of water wasted with running water and washing hands, brushing teeth, shaving, baths vs showers would save close to 40% of the fresh water consumed, world wide. There is a reason for the stopper in the sink/tub. Doing WWII in Britain, water rationing meant they had to use exactly 20 gallons per week to bath in, the entire household.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #54

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
When traveling in the frozen weather and with a winterized rig, I've used a solar shower bag for showering. Heat some water on the stove, mix it with cold water in the bag and shower up in your rig shower. Maybe 1 gallon of water usage, but it sure makes you feel clean. I've used the solar showers for years, in remote locations and they're not as convenient as home, but beat the heck out of pricey dry powders, funk and the like. I've used a 1-2 gallon garden chemical spray pump, (new,) modified with an old solar shower spray head....that works well too. Some hot water added to the cold water in the container, a few pumps to pressurize and you have a hot shower without needing gravity to create the flow. Shoot the water where you want to.

There are many commercial products to meet you wishes. You just got to search.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
When traveling in the frozen weather and with a winterized rig, I've used a solar shower bag for showering. Heat some water on the stove, mix it with cold water in the bag and shower up in your rig shower. Maybe 1 gallon of water usage, but it sure makes you feel clean. I've used the solar showers for years, in remote locations and they're not as convenient as home, but beat the heck out of pricey dry powders, funk and the like. I've used a 1-2 gallon garden chemical spray pump, (new,) modified with an old solar shower spray head....that works well too. Some hot water added to the cold water in the container, a few pumps to pressurize and you have a hot shower without needing gravity to create the flow. Shoot the water where you want to.

There are many commercial products to meet you wishes. You just got to search.
We still have our solar shower . Worked real great . Also great idea using a pump sprayer . Pat
Old 03-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I'm probably wrongly assuming that most campers are familiar with the whole
line of shower products offered by Zodi. Heaters, pumps, shower heads, pump up pressure tanks, they pretty much cover the waterfront. Zodi.com ought to get you started.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote