How's Wa Highway 2 for towing? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwic1 View Post
e has taken 9 south out of Sumas to 2 and then east to I-90. We decided to try that route, and by the time we got to I-90 we had successfully navigated several miles of two lane roads, sharp turns, traffic circles, smaller towns and steep grades with slow lanes.
How was the latter part of 9 on that drive? I know north of 20 it is a nice drive though slower, but does it hit a lot of congestion south between 20 and 2? Also considering the non-ferry route.

Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, 2010 F-150 5.4
We didn't experience any congestion. It was very comfortable driving the posted limits and we had just a few vehicles pass us at speeds higher than those posted limits with no problems. Ironically, we had crossed into Canada north of Spokane on our way to Chilliwak, wanting to scope that out as an alternate route to I-90 and Seattle. That would have been more difficult and slower, and would have been an option had we crossed back in at Sumas and took our driver training as originally planned. So finding ourselves in Sumas with no need to re-cross for driver training, we braced ourselves to head south toward I-90 and past Seattle. And then Dennis (which turns out to be Tammy's Dad and certainly wouldn't steer a couple of newbies wrong) shared another option. I'm not sure what you mean by non-ferry route, but we would take 9 to 2 again in a heartbeat...

kwic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #13

Non-ferry route for me means going north on Whidbey and picking up 20 and then heading east to either 5 or 9.

I ended up doing 2 but not 9. I wasn't thrilled with 2. At the best part of the scenery it was clouded in (we were in the cloud) and much of the road surface was in bad shape after that. Loved 97 from 2 to Ellensburg, though, which made up for it. Highway 2 has fewer places to pull out and for a Wednesday morning, had a lot of traffic. Makes the truck lanes on 90 more attractive!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 on order
Quote:
We have run into bad traffic jams on both 2 and 90, and in particular Sunday afternoons and evenings can see real bad backups.
So is traffic going to me a nightmare on Memorial Day May 28 going west towards Seattle from the 97?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #15

Yes. I don't know about 2 but 90 gets very heavy traffic towards Seattle at the end of a long weekend. You could do 20 which would likely be better.

I left Osoyoos last year on Sunday and took 3 across and then 9/5 down and no problems but that was Sunday and early morning.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
So is traffic going to me a nightmare on Memorial Day May 28 going west towards Seattle from the 97?
Where are you headed that night? There are options to avoid Seattle.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #17

Trailer: Shopping
2 going west on a sunday or holiday monday will be stop and go from index to Monroe unless you are over the pass before noon. I would stay east of the cascades on monday night and come over tuesday morning or come over on sunday if you need to be here. Seattle traffic is really bad.

Quote:
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 T
far more important is the status of US 97 flooding. check the status daily
Lee.Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Where are you headed that night? There are options to avoid Seattle.
Our plan was to head south on the 97 from Osoyoos after the rally then go west on the 90. We have a reservation at Lake Easton State Park on Sunday the 27th then on Monday (Memorial Day) continue west on the 90. Those plans might be changing for a number of reasons, including concerns about flooding on the 97 and memorial day traffic on the 90.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Our plan was to head south on the 97 from Osoyoos after the rally then go west on the 90. We have a reservation at Lake Easton State Park on Sunday the 27th then on Monday (Memorial Day) continue west on the 90. Those plans might be changing for a number of reasons, including concerns about flooding on the 97 and memorial day traffic on the 90.
I meant after that. Is Seattle a destination or just a pass-through?