International PeacePark Waterton/Glacier - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Great images! Glacier is my favorite National Park. I've been there about 7 times, including 2011 when the road opened on the latest date ever (July 13th).
Old 07-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Alf - you really got nice ones of that lake .... yes you do need to go back and climb that " Bear's Hump " it starts right behind the tourist info ....so worth while ...all the aerial type photos of Waterton and that Prince Of Wales Hotel that one sees in commercial thingees would be from there . Also you need to come back and climb up to the Whistler's summit in Jasper ....I'm very sure you neglected that too :finger wag:.......
Hi: gabeck... I'm more of a flatlander!!! A 5ft. ladder is 4ft. to high for me!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I am considering going to Glacier next May just before the Osoyoos rally. I thought I might try to stay at the St. Mary campground. Is the road through St. Mary, US 89, usually open then? How about the border crossing farther north on that road?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I cannot exactly answer your question but I can tell you we stopped in Glacier the Wednesday night after the rally this year, June 1. Apgar was open but not St Mary's. You could drive 11 miles up the Going to the Sun Road then you had to turn around. They were collecting for camping but not for entry at the front gate. If you don't have the geezer
Pass it's $30 for the one week pass.( or one day) We came into the park from the west (Idaho) on US 2 and took 2 over to Shelby. From there a short side trip to Sweetgrass which is i believe is a 24 hour crossing. Many are not, You have to check. We were south of Shelby when we picked up 89 and went south from there. Hope this helps. As Bearclaw said. Winter stays long up here. Bearclaw to Jeremiah Johnson. You've done well pilgrim, Johnson Twernt no trouble. Read the Ivan Doig novels on that area. Dancing at the Rascal Fair and English Creek. Then a little Wallace Stegner and you'll be ready to go.'
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #25

Okay, thanks. So-- in general, do the campgrounds on the west side of Glacier open earlier than those on the east side, or should I not draw that conclusion?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Mike,
I think the campgrounds open each year based on road conditions and altitude as it relates
to the snow going off. The park service does a good job keeping their website updated. The best thing to do is call ahead on a question by question basis if you can't find your answer as to what is posted and updated daily. Check out their campground status page. Shows what's open and the fill times to the minute. 1009 campsites seems like enough but this is a jewel of a park.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have always heard it was not till the middle or late June until the entire road is clear...see here
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm
Old 07-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Okay, thanks. So-- in general, do the campgrounds on the west side of Glacier open earlier than those on the east side, or should I not draw that conclusion?
Many years ago, when our kids were little, we spend a couple May long weekends camping on the west side of Glacier. The campground was not very full at all then.

As you may or may not realize, our May long is the week before yours, which at least this year was the week before the rally.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
A good place to check which campgrounds are open (and if they are filled) is at Glacier's Campground Status page.

If you click on a specific campground, you can find more information about it, as well as historical data of fill times.

My favorite is 2 Medicine on the East side...
Old 07-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #30

Okay, thanks for the info.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As you may or may not realize, our May long is the week before yours, which at least this year was the week before the rally.
I guess you're referring to the Victoria Day weekend. Is the Osoyoos rally normally held that weekend? I know one year it was a week later than usual.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The early June we were there a bunch of years ago we came from the east. The bridge at the entrance had washed out, repairs were a few days from being finished and on top of that Going to the Sun Road had an avalanche that wasn't cleared yet. Couldn't go to a campground. We turned north up to Banff and beyond, came down on the west side a week later, stayed at Apgar, great drives over the mountains, etc.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I guess you're referring to the Victoria Day weekend. Is the Osoyoos rally normally held that weekend? I know one year it was a week later than usual.
Yes, the Victoria Day long weekend. The rally is the week after that, and only for the last two years. Two years ago Tammy set it then to be able to take in her daughter Erin's grad ceremonies. Previous to that it was the first full weekend in June, but booking Nk'Mip was a bit more open a week or two earlier.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I prefer the 1st weekend in June, allows travel over both Victoria and Memorial holidays....
Old 07-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #35

Hmm, good to know; thanks. I'd like to go to Jasper and Banff next year; maybe I'll try to go there before the rally and not afterward.