Jan. ok? Mt Shasta -> Reno-> 395 S -> 14 S -> LA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question Jan. ok? Mt Shasta -> Reno-> 395 S -> 14 S -> LA

We’ll have our 21’ in early January, heading south to LA, and will be hopefully registering it in Mt Shasta CA

I dislike the boring and unattractive 5 freeway south of Sacramento, so was thinking about going Mt Shasta -> Reno-> 395 S -> 14 S -> LA instead, for a little desert scenery.

For folks who know the area, what is the possibility of snow and bad weather from Mt Shasta -> Reno-> 395 S -> 14 S in January?

and how would we know, (what website) when we are in Mt Shasta, how the weather + roads would be for the next 2 days, heading -> Reno -> 395 S ->…….

thanks!

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Could be easy- could be iffy to outright dangerous- just depends, but remember the weather in the Sierras can change very quickly. www.ca.dot.gov is Caltrans' website with road info. 800 gas road (427-7623) can also be called to input the hwy #.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #3

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
South in CA in winter

Head for the coast, great scenery. Years ago we were driving a 1950 studebaker pickup south on I-5 and in the middle of summer it was 109 degrees at Grants Pass and about 112 at Redding CA so we headed for the coast since no AC in the car and the firewall was also the dash. On the coast we had to wear a jacket, big difference in the weather regardless of the time of the year.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Head for the coast, great scenery. Years ago we were driving a 1950 studebaker pickup south on I-5 and in the middle of summer it was 109 degrees at Grants Pass and about 112 at Redding CA so we headed for the coast since no AC in the car and the firewall was also the dash. On the coast we had to wear a jacket, big difference in the weather regardless of the time of the year.
Jack
the coast would be lovely.....

however

The coast is a little too tricky driving... and a little too slow for our schedule.

thanks tho.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
There are a couple of parts of 395 that could be difficult. One of my interesting driving days was starting out at the pass above Lee Vining (Conway Summit, 8142' & 22F on May 9th) and ending the day at Death Valley (236' below sea level & 80°F). The area around Lake Tahoe can also have difficult weather during the winter.

I like the road, but would suggest either the coast or I5 /US 99 corridor. Not as interesting, but better weather...
Old 11-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
395 between Walker and Mammoth can be very bad during winter storms due to winds blowing snow across the highway. One time we couldn't get back on our usual route from Mammoth by South Lake Tahoe in February because the road was shut. Had to take the LONG way around through Mojave to the Bay Area which took all day.

However, there should be plenty of advanced warning of a big storm like that, so watch the weather and make your decision that way. Note that even when there is no weather there are often icy patches on that stretch, but go slow and you will be fine.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
72 degrees and sunny right now in central CA, but on the plane coming in to Fresno today, the mountains near Yosemite had a good dusting of snow.

Elevation is the thing. Mountain roads or passes are certainly doable even in January, but a difference in elevation of just a few hundred to one thousand feet will mean the difference between a passable road with some rain, and a road covered with snow.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
That area between Shasta and Reno gets tons of snow in January. Whether you take Hwy 36 West, Hwy 89 South, you eventually will take Hwy 70 East to Reno. The routes through Chester, Susanville, Quincy, and Portola can collect 5-10 feet of snow. I would stay clear and come down either the Coast, The 101, or The 5 ( admittedly, boring as it is).

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the great advice. We'll steer clear.

John.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
For upcoming weather on your way home, I'd recommend using https://www.wunderground.com and plugging in various upcoming locales on your route as you travel. Generally, if the weather is clear the roads will be, too, although recent winter weather can leave icy conditions on the roads for a day or two. Be flexible, have alternatives planned.
Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Thanks everyone for the great advice. We'll steer clear.

John.
I think you made the right choice. My husband and his brother brought our trailer home mid January this year. You also need to be careful about the area from southern Oregon to below Shasta. That area has been getting the brunt of our rain/snow throughout this year and could be problematic. They ended up spending the night in Eugene to avoid some snowfall and be sure to at least do that stretch in daylight.

We were thinking of doing 395 this year in February for the same reasons as you on our desert trip, but have decide to wait that route for a better time of year.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote