Kayaking While Escaping - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21
This is pretty interesting. Almost enough so, that it’s got me thinkin’. Would I, in my golden age, ever risk life and limb to take up kayaking? Hmm, if they were 30 pounds. Maybe, if they were 40 pounds. Not so sure, at 50 pounds; not without the aid of my S.O.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
This is pretty interesting. Almost enough so, that it’s got me thinkin’. Would I, in my golden age, ever risk life and limb to take up kayaking? Hmm, if they were 30 pounds. Maybe, if they were 40 bounds. Not so sure, at 50 pounds; with out the aid of my S.O.
There are a number of 1 person canoes that are paddled with a kayak paddle, you sit in the bottom of the canoe on a seat. Very nimble and stable for overnight trips or fishing. They are made of fiberglass or even carbon fiber! some of them ARE 30 lbs! They are pricey though at $2 - 3 k. Hornbeck Boats is one brand. He is kind of like escape in how he operates and the quality of the boats. I would love to have one of his boats! Hmmm now to figure out a rack for the truck that will work w/the 5.0 TA...…….
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My wood strip canoe that I built 30+ years ago (post #3) weighs about 55 pounds. At 67, I’m still able to get it up on the roof by myself. It really paddles well and gives me incentive to stay physically fit so I can continue to use it. Still a great way to explore.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
There are a number of 1 person canoes that are paddled with a kayak paddle, you sit in the bottom of the canoe on a seat. Very nimble and stable for overnight trips or fishing. They are made of fiberglass or even carbon fiber! some of them ARE 30 lbs! They are pricey though at $2 - 3 k. Hornbeck Boats is one brand. He is kind of like escape in how he operates and the quality of the boats. I would love to have one of his boats! Hmmm now to figure out a rack for the truck that will work w/the 5.0 TA...…….
I carry my 15' Osprey on a Thule roof rack with canoe brackets on the F150 Supercab, works just fine. I put it 6-12" from the front of the 5.0TA. Last time I weighed it is was about 40 lbs, but that's a long time ago. Much more then that would be difficult to press over my head, gets kind of awkward.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
escape kayaking

The attached photo shows my setup the picture is with my 17 but essentially the same with my 19.

The Kayaks are Venture Flex 11 plastic kayaks with skegs, got them at MEC for about $700 each. They are really tough and stable and only weight about 40 lbs each.

For loading I use the Yakima wheels at the back of the rack they were called hullyrollers when I bought them now they are handroll. Go figure.

For places to paddle Bow Lake on the Icefields Parkway is amazing. Elkwater Lake in Cypress Hills Provincial Park is very nice. And Glenmore Reservoir in the middle of Calgary is great
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8692.jpg  
Old 12-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 19'

Here is our set up. We love exploring water ways.
McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I you're willing to go inflatable, performance is not your first criteria. Might as well go all the way and be comfortable, relaxing in an easy chair. Throw your legs up on a pontoon to rest them. Oars, flippers or even electric motor.
Attached Thumbnails
bass2.jpg  
Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 PM   #28

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Canoeing is a big part of our camping experience that we use for exploring and fishing. Here is a picture of a trip to Yellowstone in early 2016.

We bought that canoe in Michigan in 1995 and it's seen probably 1000 miles of Michigan and Ohio rivers. We then brought it back to California and then off to the Colorado river in many places, and numerous lakes and rivers all over the Western US. We can still lift it up onto the Pilot easily, especially after full stringers of fish! Our next big canoe outing will be in the fall next year fishing for Walleye in Wyoming and Montana.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #29

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I you're willing to go inflatable, performance is not your first criteria. Might as well go all the way and be comfortable, relaxing in an easy chair. Throw your legs up on a pontoon to rest them. Oars, flippers or even electric motor.
YES! I see one of those in my future!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:54 PM   #30

My buddy and I bought Buck's Bags 'South Fork' pontoon boats years ago. I think they are half the price these days, and even cheaper ones can be found if quality is not a concern.
Can't take the dog though, like I can in my Clipper 'Prospector'.
Attached Thumbnails
charly fishing.jpg  
Old 12-11-2018, 05:42 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Yes great topic. I've always enjoyed kayaking every time I did it but did not own any until about 7 years ago and now we own 3, all sit on tops. The one we use the most is a an Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL, trust me my Pathfinder has several dings from me throwing it on top. This is one of the things I'm looking into now and have decided the Thule Hullevator is the way to go.
We also have a lake home and I try to paddle for at least an hour any weekend we go, just a great way to be on the water. I even bought a wet suit just so I could do it when its cold.

Safe and enjoyable holidays to all.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
This is pretty interesting. Almost enough so, that it’s got me thinkin’. Would I, in my golden age, ever risk life and limb to take up kayaking? Hmm, if they were 30 pounds. Maybe, if they were 40 pounds. Not so sure, at 50 pounds; not without the aid of my S.O.

Hi Trent!
I feel the same way. That is why the Advanced Elements inflatable kayak intrigued me so much.

Hope to see you at the Osoyoos Rally next May!

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Back to kayaks for a moment. For about 30 years we owed Klepper Aerius 2’s - 2 person folding kayaks. That was when we’re head up to Alaska for two week wilderness kayak adventures. The advantage of the folding kayaks is that they’d store and be transported in heavy canvas bags, perfect to put in the back of bush planes because we’d fly out to our put ins, fly back from our take outs. The disadvantage is their hulls were a little fragile - they didn’t “appreciate” rocks - and they were complicated to pack.

As we aged… the Kleppers became a little less attractive. Then on a wilderness kayak trip back in 2010 some friends of friends brought their Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks. What a game changer! While they have a paddle, one peddles them, and barely uses the paddle. The advantage is legs are stronger than arms so they move faster thru the water and with (what appears to be) a lot less energy. Much less tiring. And hands are free for fishing, photographing, using binoculars, snacking. Whatever.

Our Hobie mirage drive kayaks reinvigorated our interest in kayaking and we’ve taken them with our (former) Scamp trailer from Key West to northern British Columbia, Washington state to the Canadian Maritimes and the outer banks of North Carolina.

If you’re thinking of a new kayak, I suggest you at least consider the Mirage Drive. Here’s a link.

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-revolution-13/
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3755.jpg  
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #34

So the same motive power as my pontoon boat. I wear flippers and can row or not.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Yes I think a Mirage is in my future. As mentioned earlier we have a lake home and I use to bass fish every weekend out of my bass boat but times have changed and my bass boat has not been in the water in 8 years. I have a fishing kayak but really don't enjoy fishing out of it, paddling and casting are just to much at the same time for my liking but about 2 years ago I saw one of these while siting on my dock and said I will own one of those one day. The ease of casting because your hands were free and no paddle to worry about was good enough but best part was he had two rods in holders trolling as he moved along and I will be danged if he did not catch a crappie on one of the trolling rods. They are heavy though so still have the same problem of load an unload but still plan to own one one day .

Happy and safe holidays to all.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #36

My Southfork weighs ( shipping weight ) 45 lbs. It is propelled with flippers or oars, or both if in a hurry. I have two Scotty rod holders, one on each side. I have a Scotty anchors front and back.
The mirage probably moves faster in a straight line. Pontoon boat can be turned full circle on the spot ( useful for casting ).
Pontoon boat would be better on a river, I think, with nothing hanging under the hull. When the river gets shallow, you can just stand up on the river bottom and the pontoon will float over rocks.
You can deflate the pontoons for transportation. Quickly inflated with a hand pump.
Attached Thumbnails
keath.lois.jpg  
Old 12-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #37

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I also got the Thule Hullavator to carry my 17 foot kayak on the Highlander. Thinking the kayak might be a bit overkill for traveling full time but it is what I had so I took it along. May go for something a bit shorter and lighter at some point.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181210_155406344.jpg  
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
I also got the Thule Hullavator to carry my 17 foot kayak on the Highlander. Thinking the kayak might be a bit overkill for traveling full time but it is what I had so I took it along. May go for something a bit shorter and lighter at some point.
Wow! Carl your kayak must be almost touching the front of your trailer when you are hooked up. Howard
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
Whoa! It doesn’t appear you have front tie downs. If that’s the case, I recommend a couple of very inexpensive tie downs made by Thule and Seattle Sports which work with the front of a Highlander. (They essentially get slammed in the hood.). Here’s a link:

https://www.rei.com/search?q=Kayak+tie+downs

Look for the Quick Loops & Hood Loops.

Pretty slick.

(No way would I drive at highway speeds without the front of my kayaks secured from both fore/back and side-to-side motion.)
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 5.0 Escape
Kayaking

We have a Hobie Cat tandem oasis with the mirage drives and love it. I still need to configure a method of transporting when pulling our 5.0 since it is 14' long. We also have the sail for the kayak but rarely use it. We only use the paddles when water is too shallow for flippers.
okiesoup is offline   Reply With Quote