Last Trip of the Season - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We dodged that one, only about 2" for us, the majority went just north of us. Steve, apparently you were right in the middle!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Just finished digging our vehicles out of the snow. It took 4 hours of shoveling and a lot of pushing.. At least it is half way warm outside with temps in the 20's F. .I also cleaned the snow off of the roof on the house and the Casita. Winter in Wisconsin is so much fun ,I can not imagine living in a place that does not have snow plus the lake is starting to ice over so ice fishing is just around the corner .Another month and we should be able to drive out on the ice with the truck.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Right at 32F here, so it's slush pushing. Had to do it by hand or I would have had to stop the snowblower every 3 feet to clean the slush out of the chute. 1/4 mile long driveway takes a while by hand........

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Right at 32F here, so it's slush pushing. Had to do it by hand or I would have had to stop the snowblower every 3 feet to clean the slush out of the chute. 1/4 mile long driveway takes a while by hand........
You need a tractor with a 3-point and blade. I also use my JD to move my 21 around - very handy to raise the ball into the hitch compared to the other way around.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
You need a tractor with a 3-point and blade. I also use my JD to move my 21 around - very handy to raise the ball into the hitch compared to the other way around.
My driveway is not one that lends itself well to a rear blade, snowblowing works much better for ours. I have a nice Kubota and use it to move my 17 into our shed, etc and do trail and native prairie mowing. As long as I'm physically able, my 11 HP dual stage walk behind blower is my winter fitness routine! Only when we have this slush do I resort to shoveling......upper body workout!

I priced a front mount snowblower for my Kubota and found that I would have to completely remove my front loader, including the quick disconnect mounts to use a Kubota front snowblower. And the attachment cost twice as much as my big snowblower.

Rather than go that route I might just trade in the Kubota for a JD with those slick drive over attachments. But then maybe we'll just move into town by then!

Old 11-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A skid loader (such as a Bobcat) is the ticket for stubborn snow removal around here. I would like to operate one, but haven't found sufficient made-up justifications to get one yet... and I don't really want to maintain the hydraulics.

All of this reminds me... I need to get the snowthrower out of storage.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Eric, that driveway of yours is a handful. Ours is much shorter but with a bit of a curve and incline and brick and we have often spent a lot of time doing the snow and putting sand. I would think yours would be the worst up near the house with maybe some inclined area. Don't know how many years it was before we had a 4x4 to get up our little driveway, compared to yours, and what a difference it made. My idea now is to try to plow through it --- with the car! I know that would not be possible where you are.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #28

ONCE I tried using the front bucket on my Kubota to scrape my driveway. The asphalt was not happy with me.

I've looked that these, but never felt like spending the money: Ratchet Rake . Maybe as I get older the price will seem better.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
My method worked well - moved out of Wisconsin and settled in Oregon in the 70s. Rain is a whole lot easier to shovel.........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
My method worked well - moved out of Wisconsin and settled in Oregon in the 70s. Rain is a whole lot easier to shovel.........
Once we no longer like snowshoeing and CC skiing we may do the same. I actually love Wisconsin winters.........usually.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
ONCE I tried using the front bucket on my Kubota to scrape my driveway. The asphalt was not happy with me.

I've looked that these, but never felt like spending the money: Ratchet Rake . Maybe as I get older the price will seem better.
By coincidence, the tractor shown in the linked video is a Bobcat, but of course my Bobcat reference was to their traditional product of skid loaders. The challenge is the same, though, if you use the common bucket: scraping with a bucket edge and not damaging the surface.

Essentially, the Snow Edge (from Ratchet Rake) product looks like a squeegee edge for a bucket.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Essentially, the Snow Edge (from Ratchet Rake) product looks like a squeegee edge for a bucket.
Yep, I've wondered how long that plastic material would last.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #33

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Come up for a visit, and we will show you. Today's high is forecast for -15°C (5°F). Winter is finally here, methinks.
Geez, Jim, in Vancouver we were camping next to the ocean at Porteau Cove in a balmy 7 C.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Well, the cold is coming to Oswego tomorrow. They tell us there won't be any (at least here) snow, but I fired up the snowblower just to be sure. Started on the 2nd pull & the heated handles still work!
Old 11-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You need to head south Jon before needing those heated handles.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #36

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Last trip?

When reading this subject I can just remember living down wind from the Great Salt Lake for 10 years and having a pair of snow throwers. Both machines went with the house and we never looked back. In the next couple of months we'll head for Southern Calif and for Palm Springs for a change from the Az desert. Maybe next summer we'll go North again and look where we used to park the Scamp with 3 to 4 feet of snow on top. Don't miss it all but it does get crowded here for the next 6 months.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jack,
Are you going to Osoyoos again next year? That will be a nice respite from Palm Springs.....
Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #38

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Thinking about it, hate to plan too far ahead.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Eric, that driveway of yours is a handful. Ours is much shorter but with a bit of a curve and incline and brick and we have often spent a lot of time doing the snow and putting sand. I would think yours would be the worst up near the house with maybe some inclined area. Don't know how many years it was before we had a 4x4 to get up our little driveway, compared to yours, and what a difference it made. My idea now is to try to plow through it --- with the car! I know that would not be possible where you are.
I can do it with the truck in 4x4, at least now that I got rid of the worthless tires that came on it. Amazingly, with the traction control and the Michelin Xice tires, the Corolla can climb it amazingly well, even with a couple of inches of snow on it. That brake based traction control sure makes lots of interesting sounds on the way up though!