Leaving Truck/Trailer for Three Months in the South - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21 "BE NICE"
Leaving Truck/Trailer for Three Months in the South

Working on route planning. Leaving mid August from NW heading to New Brunswick then down US east coast through October. Plan on leaving truck and trailer in the South (Virginia?), winterize, and flying home for holidays. Returning January or February for a trip to Florida Keys then driving through the Southwest to get home by April.

Any ideas or how to find a safe and secure place to store for three months would be appreciated.
dbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd suggest making down to Florida and then leaving it there, it is common for people to vacation or leave their residence in Florida for months at a time and there are more facilities there that can accommodate this style of traveling.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
A lot of storage places have fenced in areas for trailers and vehicles, and access is only through the gate with your code. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I would check out the storage yard very carefully. They tend to be located in out of the way places, often near less than desirable neighborhoods and frequently not that secure. A pass card, special keys and pins do not keep out the bad guys, and the larger storage areas with many units just create more traffic and allow more opportunities for the undesirables to sneak in.

Rather than a large secure facility I might consider local campgrounds that have storage available. It may not be the razor wire and halogen lights sort of place, but rather people around who have an interest in RV's.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21 "BE NICE"
That's what I was thinking. I noticed on a recent trip to Morrow Bay the RV campground had storage for trailers. How far south to go is another part of my query. As I work my way south I can look for a good RV camp for storage but have a place in Florida as a back up. Good ideas. Thanks everyone.
dbawden is offline   Reply With Quote