Let the fun begin! - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #121
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Seef,
Let me be the first to express condolences to your country and fellow mankind about the plane incident. Watching the caravan on tv today made me realize what a beautiful country you live in.
Amen. What happened was savage barbarity. Why can't man learn his lesson?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #122

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Hi guys,

thanks for your condolences, it is a very, very sad incident for whole mankind.

Watching the caravan was very impressive and it made everybody very sad. Today the second caravan left airport Eindhoven and tomorrow and most likely Saterday also there will be similar caravans.

194 is just a number till you see a caravan of cars with a victim in every car. As days go by obituaries appear even in our local papers, it really gets close then.

I really hope that the people who are responsible for this are brought to justice.!

Again thanks for you sympathy.

Kind regards,

Severinus and Yvonne
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:37 AM   #123

Hi guys,

time to bring this thread to live again.....

The TV is due in 3 weeks now, we only need to raise the cabin roof and that will take about a week and a half. After that it will take a few days to get it sorted at our DMV and after that we're good to go.

For the trailer, after vacation season they finally began working on it yesterday. That to will take about a week and a half and a few days for the DMV to get things sorted.

So it seems we can take the set to the road in 3 weeks, if that really works out we will be on our way to Italy the next day.

Before we can go we need to do some work ourselfs changing the internal electrics for the Fridge (got a transformer specially for the fridge (230-110) which need to be placed somewhere.

I'm searching for some +/- 16 amps circuit breakers to replace the stock 30Amp ones.

Does anyone has a clue where to find replacement breakers? Getting on the road with 30 Amp circuit breakers is a bit too dangerous for my taste.

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
Old 08-19-2014, 01:47 AM   #124

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You are much more adventurous than I.
I have my finger in the dike.
Jeepers. That was close. I looked up the spelling before hitting post.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
Hi guys,

time to bring this thread to live again.....

The TV is due in 3 weeks now, we only need to raise the cabin roof and that will take about a week and a half. After that it will take a few days to get it sorted at our DMV and after that we're good to go.

For the trailer, after vacation season they finally began working on it yesterday. That to will take about a week and a half and a few days for the DMV to get things sorted.

So it seems we can take the set to the road in 3 weeks, if that really works out we will be on our way to Italy the next day.

Before we can go we need to do some work ourselfs changing the internal electrics for the Fridge (got a transformer specially for the fridge (230-110) which need to be placed somewhere.

I'm searching for some +/- 16 amps circuit breakers to replace the stock 30Amp ones.

Does anyone has a clue where to find replacement breakers? Getting on the road with 30 Amp circuit breakers is a bit too dangerous for my taste.

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
Hey,

Make sure you take some pictures !!! :} These guys seem to have the breakers you want Peter Kennedy Yacht Services: Marine Electrical Systems Experts they are in USA , Maryland so not sure if that will help you. If not seems boats use them so perhaps check with boat yards / supply shops.

Another http://www.internationalconfig.com/icc6.asp?item=AN25

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #126

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Assuming you are using the ETI-installed WFCO converter they are not DIN breakers and yacht suppliers are not good sources.

Our standard breaker sizes are 15, 20, and 30 amp. You won't find a "normal" 16A breaker. I would go with 15A.

The WFCO manual lists the replacement breakers. Siemens is European so they might be available there. Here we buy them at an electrical supply or home improvement store - or Amazon.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #127

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:

The original breakers are a suitable size for the wiring... and the wiring is thicker than a Euro trailer would have. It seems to me that you only need to change the main breaker if you have changed to a thinner inlet (or "shore") power cord, or if the plug on that cord is only good for 16 amps.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #128

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

I see no safety issue at all keeping the 30A breakers, as that is only for the main feed. All the individual circuits are smaller for that, and rated for the cable they use.

I hope all goes well with getting your vehicles set up and running. Looking forward to seeing pictures from the right side of the pond.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
you are much more adventurous than i.
I have my finger in the dike.
Jeepers. That was close. I looked up the spelling before hitting post.
BIG SMILE!

But it is not so adventures, keep the head cool, follow the instructions, thats all folks.

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
Old 08-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #130

Hi guys,

thanks for your replies on the circuit breaker question. I will be changing them to 15 Amps but i don't think i will be able to get them over here in time for our vacation.

Jim has a good point, only the main breaker is 30 Amps, so i do not see a direct problem. Thanks for pointing that out.

Added to that, most campgrounds in Europe do not offer 16 amps, mostly it will be 4-10 amps. If i overlad a circuit, the campground breaker will go first.

Again thanks for your replies! They are greatly appriciated.

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
Old 08-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #131

You wnated pictures, you'll get pictures.!

Today i received some photo's from the people who are putting the new axle under the Escape.

First of course the "old" axle has to come off.

After that you'll have a clear view on the "old" mounting brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
de oude as.JPG   zonder as oude bevestiging.JPG  
Old 08-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #132

Then they start grinding, welding, some grinding and you'll end up with something like this...

New mounting brackets are fabricated, axle is placed, mounting brackets are painted.
Attached Thumbnails
Op bokjes.JPG   as 0.2.JPG   AS2.JPG   as 1.JPG  
Old 08-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #133

Wheels are put on, for now it will be steel wheels, maybe later on we will replace them for some nice alloy ones.

What's left to do?

Remove the Kingpin coupling and replace it by the 5th wheel EU coupling. Get things approved by our DMV.

In one of the pictures you can see the truckbed part of the EU coupling in place already. This not our truck but a similar one which is owned by the people who are replacing our axle.

Mind you, the cover plate of the coupling is in place in the pictures and you do have a completely flat truckbed when you do not use the coupler.

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
Attached Thumbnails
AS 3.JPG   koppeling 2.jpg  
Old 08-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #134

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
You wnated pictures, you'll get pictures.!

Today i received some photo's from the people who are putting the new axle under the Escape.

First of course the "old" axle has to come off.

After that you'll have a clear view on the "old" mounting brackets.
I probably missed it in previous threads but what is the difference between the old axle and the EU approved one?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #135

Quote:
New mounting brackets are fabricated, axle is placed, mounting brackets are painted.
That would have been lot of grinding, since the nice solid brackets that Escape welds to the frame are specific to the Torflex and presumably had to come off to fit the new axle (which looks like an AL-KO).

I see that the new axle mounting brackets are further apart, and the new frame-side brackets are cantilevered out to match. I can only guess that the new axle has the same hub-to-hub width, but does not allow the same overhang beyond the frame to the hub as the original Dexter Torflex.

It is good to see the material taped to the body to protect the fiberglass during grinding and welding.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #136

Going to guess they have done this kind of work more then once. Seef will explain the axles at some point I do believe if you use Google search you can find the posts he explained some of the required changes.
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #137

Yes, Seef mentioned the reason for the axle swap, in post #39 of this very thread:
Quote:
The "problem" with the axle is that the brakes are not EU certified, we will be changing the axle for the same type/brand with EU certified brakes.

The axle swap itself should be fairly easy i guess.
I don't think Dexter sells axles in Europe - at least not the same models - so the swap needed to be to a different product of the same general design (rubber-sprung independent)... and so it looks like it was not quite as straightforward as one might hope.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #138

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Severinus and Yvonne, looks as if you are almost ready to get going. Very exciting to go off to Italy in the only Escape anyone is going to see there. Happy travels.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #139

Hi guys,

Good to see you guys pay attention. These axles are indeed different from the stock ones.

The idea was to replace the stock dexter axle with the same type Dexter but then with an EU certification.

It turns out these axles are sold in the Netherlands but the company that does the axle swap and get's the rig DMV approved does not use them since they do not have a certified brake system for them.... So.... They used a KNOTT axle which is very common over here in Europe and they do have a certified electrical brake system for these KNOTT axles. As was to be expected, the mounting bracket on a KNOTT axle are different from the mounting brackets of a Dexter axle.

For the record, they do sell the same Dexter axle over here with a certified electrical brake system.

The guys doin this conversion are used to build 5th wheel trailer of all kind so they do know what they are doing. And go by the principle measure at least twice, build once.

Anyway, it looks like they get it all done by monday and have it inspected on friday at the latest. Our TV will be ready then too so if all works out we will be picking up the whole set on next Friday or Saturday.

We will keep you posted.

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
Old 08-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #140

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Anyway, it looks like they get it all done by monday and have it inspected on friday at the latest. Our TV will be ready then too so if all works out we will be picking up the whole set on next Friday or Saturday.
This will be an exciting event for you, to get to actually use your trailer and tow together. Nice!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote