Long Distance Travel Preferences - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Most of my camping is short trips not too far from home.

I have had very few (way too few) trips of any length lately, as being self-employed with employees, does not allow me to be gone for more than 2 1/2 weeks. If we plan to holiday at a far away destination, I will drive a couple long days to get there. I can do a couple days in a row with 10-12 hours driving, which is usually about 1,000, to 1,200 km. I have done three days in a row like that, but that is it.

On longer holidays, I would rather spend a bunch of days in a couple locations, than one day at a time here and there. I love to explore, by car, bike, boat, or foot, and get to know an area well.

Once I finally retire, or even semi-retire, I very much look forward to doing way shorter drive days, with very few long drive days thrown in, and still do my exploring, just see more places closer together.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:36 AM   #12
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
So much of this depends on your time frame. The best trip is not to have a schedule and just loaf along. This is one main reason we don't like reservations. You have to be at a certain point at a certain time. And yet if you don't have them, you sometimes have to stop earlier than you want to get a camping site. Basically we like to "play it by ear". Loren
Perhaps it is because we live in a very populated state, but often I find there are no available campsites months ahead of our travel schedule. Seems like everyone is retired and on the road. I am fearful of not having a place to stay. What do others do if they find themselves in this situation? I would love not to make reservations and stay as long or as little as I'd like.

Lorna

Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
You can carry some water and if you have two 6-volts and solar, you don't need a plug-in. You can stay just about anywhere. That is also good when coming across a campground that is not full but has no electric sites left.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 19 Aug 2016, 2012 Dodge RAM 1500, Andersen Hitch.
In our younger years, I used to cover 400 and sometimes 500+miles if heading for a distant destination. Times have past and I now plan on 300 with a + or - 50 miles depending on the destination. What I do plan on is being off the road and the trailer parked and set up for the night while I still have daylight for parking. Doing this in the dark in a strange destination adds to much risk. The only time I drive the RV rig at night would be some emergency situation or if we are heading for home; I am obviously familiar in the home area and can pull into the RV storage area and leave it until the next morning (we live in a Senior Park with a large RV Storage Area). I usually have reservation/s for a RV Park for the coming night. If we are heading out for a visit with family often on the other side of the country, I usually have reservations for the whole trip since holidays or snowbirds have to be considered. Once we get our 5.0 TA in August '16 with a solar charging system, we will have a little more freedom regarding night time destinations.
ethanallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Most of my trips are long - I'm currently on day 127 of this year's, although it is a bit different from most. I've been staying in one place (Quartzsite, AZ) for much of the winter.

When traveling, I prefer to drive around 150 miles per day, arriving at the next location around 1:00 - 2:00PM. That gives me a better choice of sites (I rarely make reservations), time to set up & relax before dinner, and time to see the sights in the area. If there is lots to see, I'll stay a few days, if not, move on. I prefer non commercial campgrounds such as state & national parks, BLM & Forest Service, City & County parks. I have enough solar so I don't need to carry a generator, and am comfortable without hookups (I've been dry camping since November 17th).

I only take interstates when there is no choice, or, on the rare occasions, when I have to be somewhere in a hurry. My ideal driving speed is 57MPH, the sweet spot for the RAV4 when towing.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
These are all great comments and I appreciate the feedback. We are "planners" and like to have our route and stops pre arranged. I know this takes out some of the thrill that comes with that the spontaneity of discovery as one meanders across the country. We are trying to get more comfortable with this approach.

How do others find a place to overnight at the last minute? Head to a location and find spots via the map, Internet, etc? Do you call ahead or just show up? Do you generally find this a good experience?
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Long Distance Travel Preferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
These are all great comments and I appreciate the feedback. We are "planners" and like to have our route and stops pre arranged. I know this takes out some of the thrill that comes with that the spontaneity of discovery as one meanders across the country. We are trying to get more comfortable with this approach.

How do others find a place to overnight at the last minute? Head to a location and find spots via the map, Internet, etc? Do you call ahead or just show up? Do you generally find this a good experience?

We generally like to travel with no or few plans. When looking for the next campground we use a site like http://www.campscout.com

Cheers
Doug
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016... 2016 Escape 19.
Allstays is a great app for finding places to stay. Costs $10, but it is a lot better than the free apps I've tried. I do call ahead generally if it's a busy camping time and they might be full.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Pull in before 2pm and usually always have a spot, except for Snowbird destinations, Jan - Mar
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
We generally like to travel with no or few plans. When looking for the next campground we use a site like CampScout - Camping, Campgrounds & RV Parks

Cheers
Doug

Thanks Doug, added to my list.

Quote:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Campground reviews
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

yelp is sometimes useful for this.

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

Overnight RV Parking

The Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project - Home
Boondocking guide