Maps in general and time traveled…. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Maps in general and time traveled….

Although i have a Rand McNally GPS made for rv's and I really enjoy it, the maps on their website and my computer do not like one another. In attempting to plan a long trip I always lose something. Is there any website that allows you to prepare in advance stops for fuel or rest. I have some maps with cg's and others with Cracker Barrels and others with Flying J fuel but in planning a 3000 mile trip I'd like to know where I'll be when I need to stop for fuel or food or rest. In other words, assuming I get 15 mpg and a 25 gallon tank, around 250 miles or after 4 hours I start looking for a stop. But I have no way knowing where on my route I'll be, without getting out my abacus or slide rule.
Google follows you on the map as you click each detail which is helpful, but none I can find gives me time traveled. Does anyone have any better alternates? Thanks...
Old 04-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #2

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
We use our GPS when in doubt.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I know this isn't exactly what you were asking for but it is a rather handy site. It's been posted before but with camping season coming on it is a good time to review it again. Distance Reno NV Strongsville OH
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Same as Neal & Sharon. I get about the same mileage, and only have a 15 gallon tank. I start looking when the tank gets to half, then use the GPS to find the nearest station. I have had some close calls in parts of Wyoming, particularly when headwinds drops my MPG to under 10.

A couple of apps are available for smart phones that are useful - Gas Buddy is my favorite, but some of the camping apps such as AllStay's Camp & RV also show fuel locations. Now if only I could find an app that tells me where to find Cape Cod Waffle Cut potato chips here in California, I'd be in heaven!

As to rests, since my goal is to drive less than 250 miles per day, I don't usually need one, however I've found that there is a fast food joint (usually with WiFi & parking for trailers) within 50 miles of just about anywhere.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape hatching July 17
Microsoft streets and trips could solve your problems. I have used an older version , lists campgrounds, rest stops, and indicates, based on MPG, when to stop for gas.
catch_demfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I don't know about a website, but there is a book (soft bound) called "Next Exit". I understand it follows major roads, and lets a person know what is ahead in terms of food, fuel and rest. Don't know how well the app iExit is. Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #7

Trailer: None
Online version: Next Exit

$14.95 per year and available online or in print or an an app.

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
+1 for Allstays camp and rv. We have travelled about 15 weeks of the past year, and use it often to find the next campground. We don't worry too much about gas unless we are in sparsely populated areas out west. We use GasBuddy to figure out the price range in an area, but don't leave the route to find cheaper gas.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've purchased DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2014 and placed on a laptop I will keep with me. You can program in your expected miles per gallon and time to stop. I've also programmed in where I want to stop and it has given me hotels along the route for my travel to Chilliwack before I have my Escape. You can also search for gas stations along the route. It will tell you where they are in reference to your start location.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #10

Thanks Seamstress. That on-line availability sure beats a bulky book.
I cannot subscribe with Firefox. ( I haven't tried Safari). I probably will use my old book until the app comes out.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #11

Oops, I just saw the free app with an on-line subscription.