Massachusetts to Chilliwack - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My comment re: $5g for gas was not intended to denigrate Canadian gas, but merely trying to project what this summer gas will be once the oil industry decides to raise prices as they historically do in the summer. Our local gas went up $.20g just2 weeks ago to $3 for regular and the project to be around $3.75 for premium really soon. So I thought with 75/25 rate differential gas will approach the $5g in canadian dollars soon also...hopefully I will be wrong.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #22

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Ironically the visitors center in Fargo actually has a wood chipper on display. I think Lawrence Welk was born there.

I actually enjoy North Dakota. It is big (70,000 square miles) and uncluttered with a lot of people ~700,000. The people have always been very nice to me there and the food is pretty good.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #23

Trailer: ?
Smile

As you travel through the rural parts of the Plains, both in Canada and the States, and if you stay off the main highways, you will pass through some of the most wonderful small towns. Most of which have a town park where you are welcomed to overnight. We've done it time and again over the years and have never been run off. In these small rural towns in Canada, Yanks are quite a novelty. Often locals would stop by to chat for a while. I could write a book on our wonderful travels through Canada.

Most towns also have a silo or two with easy access. Once again, a good place to overnight.

Now the silos do tend to be located on a RR siding, so the 2am express may well wake you up, but when you're young, maybe that's not all bad..

Stay on the back roads and you can cross Canada without ever paying for a campsite. Offsets the cost of gas.

The key is to stay off the highways.

Wish we were going.
Next year perhaps.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
As you travel through the rural parts of the Plains, both in Canada and the States, and if you stay off the main highways, you will pass through some of the most wonderful small towns. Most of which have a town park where you are welcomed to overnight. We've done it time and again over the years and have never been run off. In these small rural towns in Canada, Yanks are quite a novelty. Often locals would stop by to chat for a while. I could write a book on our wonderful travels through Canada.

Most towns also have a silo or two with easy access. Once again, a good place to overnight.

Now the silos do tend to be located on a RR siding, so the 2am express may well wake you up, but when you're young, maybe that's not all bad..

Stay on the back roads and you can cross Canada without ever paying for a campsite. Offsets the cost of gas.

The key is to stay off the highways.

Wish we were going.
Next year perhaps.
And when you are old, you just leave your hearing aids out!
Old 05-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
Ironically the visitors center in Fargo actually has a wood chipper on display. I think Lawrence Welk was born there.

I actually enjoy North Dakota. It is big (70,000 square miles) and uncluttered with a lot of people ~700,000. The people have always been very nice to me there and the food is pretty good.
I have nothing but fond memories of North Dakota. Spent one summer there outside the little town of Tioga in 1952. But, I am saying that I would not pass up the opportunity to visit Banff in order to see anything in North Dakota. I would go way out of my way to see Banff and I would go way out of my way to miss Toledo and Chicago. My grandfather and my aunt were big fans of Lawrence. So they have" the wood chipper" in Fargo. Hmmm, I may change my mind about going to North Dakota.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I have nothing but fond memories of North Dakota. Spent one summer there outside the little town of Tioga in 1952. But, I am saying that I would not pass up the opportunity to visit Banff in order to see anything in North Dakota. I would go way out of my way to see Banff and I would go way out of my way to miss Toledo and Chicago. My grandfather and my aunt were big fans of Lawrence. So they have" the wood chipper" in Fargo. Hmmm, I may change my mind about going to North Dakota.
Sure Jim come and see ND and pop over the border to our town right across from NE corner of ND, free driveway parking or expensive $15 with power at our town park.

So how old are you? Tioga in 1952
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Sure Jim come and see ND and pop over the border to our town right across from NE corner of ND, free driveway parking or expensive $15 with power at our town park.

So how old are you? Tioga in 1952
74 going on 12. Been to all 50 states and I think 7 Canadian provinces and one territory. Flown across most of the rest of Canada. I think something like 33 foreign countries. One more if I can count 3 feet above the ground over the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Laos. We actually stayed on a giant wheat farm outside of Tioga. I remember the main street in Tioga wasn't gravel but dirt and when it rained you were at least an ankle deep in mud down town. When the summer ended we headed down to Oklahoma but first went across Montana and Yellowstone then down to Jackson Hole. For a 7 year old kid those were exciting times. My uncle down in Oklahoma was a bit of a cowboy so I had a ball down there too. Just checked the map and I've been to only six Canadian provinces.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:55 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Jim- hope to meet you out there somewhere. Can imagine you might regret the current state of affairs with AA. Sure loved the original!
Old 05-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Jim- hope to meet you out there somewhere. Can imagine you might regret the current state of affairs with AA. Sure loved the original!
Actually I haven't been in touch with AA in 15 years. Don't know what's happening now. I think my last trip was out of Zurich and we hit the coast right over the Normandy beaches on a crystal clear day. I sure can't complain. Only flown 4 times in the last 15 years. Weddings and funerals all on someone else because of location. Would rather take a beating with a wet rope than go to an airport.

Tags
chilliwack, massachusetts, planning, trip