Massassachusetts to Chilliwack, BC travel help. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer
Talking Massassachusetts to Chilliwack, BC travel help.

We will travel from Massachusetts to Chilliwack, BC in June/July to pick up our 21' . This will be our first trip cross country.

Our plan is to have an easy drive to Chilliwack staying at hotels on the way there, and then take a couple extra days or week on the way back on a nice route home. Anyone have any suggestions? We have never planed a trailer trip like this before and want to make the most of it.

We are also looking at guides, maps, GPS, or any other methods you currently use to travel. (Jim gave me several suggestions) I just purchased the 2019 Rand McNally Road Atlas, I looked at GPS's and there are so many brands looking for current model's suggestions.

We will also have Verizon cell phones which will work when we have service. Anything we Missed.

Thank you this Forum has helped tremendously in the planning of our Escape 21' trailer build, and now for the planning on the trip to pick it up.
cdmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Highly recommend the sister to your Atlas, RandMcNally GPS for rv's https://rand.factoryoutletstore.com/...gitemid=496011 as well as the trip planner which you can upload to your gps Rand McNally Driving Directions and Maps
and of course the forum members for tips.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Cascade Loop

If you are looking to take your time, you may be able to pick up parts of the Cascade Loop in Washington on your way to or from home. The whole loop features 9 different geographical regions and takes 2-5 days. The scenery is gorgeous. There is a published guide available that details stops and attractions along the way. There are many great camping spots available.
Around Chilliwack, Vancouver and Whistler are interesting to see, although they may be more comfortable to see before you get the trailer. Harrison Hot Springs and Cultus Lake are under an hour from Chillwack with camping options.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19'
You'll have a great trip! We went two years ago (Feb/March trip though) to pick up our 19 from Maine. We took 90 out and then south down the coast and east to southern Utah on the way home. Any route you choose will have lots and lots to see so the more time you can devote to the way home the better. We just use google maps on our Verizon phones, don't find a need of any other GPS. For western states really like the benchmark atlas maps for each state. Lots of detail, sights, parks etc. Nice to have paper too when there is no cell or internet service. Keep in mind that July will be high season for most big sights (Yellowstone, Glacier etc).
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
You will find an application like allstays.com to be invaluable. You’ll be traveling through the peak season so reservations will be mostly necessary. We much prefer public campgrounds to private, and they are usually less expensive. Have fun planning!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
RV Trip Wizard

We have always planned our RV trips pretty carefully using a combination of Google Maps and RVParkReviews to select stopover places and routes. We were full timing in a 40' MCI bus conversion towing a Jeep so our length and the weight of the coach limited our stops to big-rig type parks. A few months ago, I signed up for RV Trip Wizard and I really like the product. Planned our January trip to Sumas to pick up our E21 then a 3 month trip to the Southwest deserts and Big Bend National Park. Following that, I planned our 2.5 month trip from New Mexico to Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Quebec City, Montreal, Adirondack Park and home which we will do next Summer. I know the wing-it guys will be hooting at me but I really do enjoy doing both the planning and having the plan when traveling. To each his own. RV Trip Wizard really makes planning a lengthy trip easy. Two thumbs up and 5 Stars. I think it costs $39 for a yearly subscription.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
While I didn't make the trip as work issues made me change to having the trailer delivered at the last minute, I had planned it out while taking our time to some extent.

Cross into CA in Ogdensburg NY, 416 to 417, Trans Canada Highway to Sault St Marie crossing back in the US, 28 to 2, once in WA either cut N to 3 in CA or head to Everett and take 5N.

We've gone as far on this route as Sault St Marie and really enjoyed the CA drive.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #8

Trailer: ?
There is no limit to what you can do on this trip.
Here are just a few of our favorites from years past.

First thing I would do is get away from the insanity of the Northeast.
Cross into Canada at Niagara Falls.
Visit the huge Farmers Market in St. Jacob, Ontario.

https://stjacobs.com/Farmers-Market-...nformation.htm

Cross into Michigan at Port Huron. Follow SR-25 /US-23 north all along the eastern shoreline of MI then into the UP at St. Ignace. Be sure to try a pastie in the UP. It’s a regional tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

Head west on US-2 which will take you all the way to Idaho. Stop in Bemidji, Minnesota and walk across the Mississippi River at its source.

In Montana, visit the Fort Peck Assiniboine & Sioux tribes reservation to get a feel for how we treat the Native Americans. Depressing but educational.

US-2 is a much better, slower and more scenic drive than using the Interstate highways.

You will find that many of the small towns in Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana have municipal campgrounds. Some are free; some cost a few dollars. Stop at some on your way home to get a good feel for middle-America.

In Montana you can go north through the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park into Canada then head west to Chillawack.

My favorite source of public campgrounds is Ultimate Public Campgrounds site.

https://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/index.php

Enjoy your travels

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
If at all possible route your self around Chicago. I had not been through Chicago on I-90 since the 70,s boy was I surprised. Thook us 3-1/2 hrs to get through that city and that was on the interstate. No way I would tow a trailer thru that stuff, so coming back we turned south in eastern South Dakota down to Iowa and over to Missouri. Stopped at the Laura Ingalls homestead before heading back to New York State. A bit out of our way but well worth it to avoid Chicago.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, Chicago metro area is to be avoided if possible, that is where I picked up my Lance 1880, spent 3 days there one night!!
Old 12-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #11

As you drive near the US/CA border, be sure your VZ phone is set to not roam or you risk being picked up by a Canadian cell tower and getting a huge surprise when you get your bill.

It’s been years since we’ve traveled in Canada.
I’m sure someone can give you current info about your cell phone plans in Canada.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
spent 3 days there one night!!
That is sort of like two days and a wake up.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've taken 30/224/24 south of Chicago several times, cutting north to I-80 around Peoria. Not a bad drive through the country side but not much for campgrounds, hotels would probably work out fine.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Allstays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
You will find an application like allstays.com to be invaluable. You’ll be traveling through the peak season so reservations will be mostly necessary. We much prefer public campgrounds to private, and they are usually less expensive. Have fun planning!
Since we don’t know what kind of camping you like to do from minimum to full service, Allstays is a great resource. We don’t usualy get reservations except for Friday, Saturday and Holiday nights. Sundays through Thursday if you stop mid afternoon are usually doable with reservations unless we’re Talking National Parks. Then is best to be there early in the day and spend the day in the park.
I’m actually only a driver and leave navigation and significant decisions like which socks I wear on what days to my co-pilot.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
I know the wing-it guys will be hooting at me but
No hooting here as long as the OP realizes that folks like us never, except for the Balloon Festival, make reservations, even on cross continent trips. We like to keep flexibility in our travelling.

Hey, what's the worst thing that could happen? Overnight at a Walmart et al? We're happy to stay at Walmarts if that's the way the days travelling works out.

Yup, to each their own.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #16

A going home route especially if you enjoy American history.

The Oregon, California and Mormon Trails, collectively called the Western Trails, and parts of the Pony Express line, very closely follow the route of what is now I-80/US-30.

Drop down to the I-84/US-30 corridor in Oregon and head East. A fascinating trip home.

Stop in North Platt, Nebraska to see the Union Pacific Bailey Yard. It’s the largest RR classification yard in the world.

https://visitnorthplatte.com/directory_cats/railroad/

Research the Western Trails for a wealth of information.

https://www.tngenweb.org/tnletters/usa-west.htm

The Public Campground site I referenced earlier will show the dozens of small, municipal campgrounds along the way. You can always just find a town park or grain silo and park there for the night. No one will bother you.

Enjoy your travels.
It’s an amazing world out there.

Ed

And as you drive through Iowa, you just might see some corn.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Iowa

If you decide on a route you should post it. Then you’ll get responses germaine to where you’ll be traveling. The Escape will give you comfort and flexibility like you won’t believe. Keep us posted. When you drive through Nebraska you’ll say “look at that corn”. In Iowa you’ll say “Look at ALL of that
______ing (growing) corn. Not to mention soybeans and plant thieves stealing genetic secrets.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 19 (& previously 2014 19)
So glad to hear another Escape is coming to Massachusetts.

We drove MA to Chilliwack BC in 2014 for our first Escape and just got back last month from another MA to Chilliwack BC trip to get our second Escape. So many options for traveling there and back. And so much to do in the Pacific Northwest if you can stay for a bit.

One thought as you travel... We decided to hit some cities on the way there. It is a bit easier to do cities when you don't have a trailer.
RooBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:35 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hi there CDMixer,
All of us have different ways we like to travel …. they are all good. I too like to get out my atlases and plan the next few days ahead. My best trips though are the ones I don't spent too much time doing detail planning. My advice is when you find a comfortable place to camp, get out of your trailer and meet fellow campers and ask them what great places they have found ….. you will get an earful. Take a note pad with you. I love dragging my trailer off someplace to give it the best view possible while I wander off and mine the motherlode …. my fellow campers and travelers.

You are going to have a fantastic time! Good Luck. And please don't forget to write 'home' as we all love stories …. especially with pictures.

Tom
Old 12-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
get out of your trailer and meet fellow campers and ask them what great places they have found ….. you will get an earful. Take a note pad with you. I love dragging my trailer off someplace to give it the best view possible while I wander off and mine the motherlode …. my fellow campers and travelers.

Tom
Couldn't agree more. Some of the parts of our travels that turned out to be the most memorable were places that were mentioned by fellow cruisers or travellers on the road.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chilliwack, escape 21, massachusetts, travel