Massassachusetts to Chilliwack, BC travel help. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
There is no limit to what you can do on this trip.
Here are just a few of our favorites from years past.

First thing I would do is get away from the insanity of the Northeast.
Cross into Canada at Niagara Falls.
Visit the huge Farmers Market in St. Jacob, Ontario.

https://stjacobs.com/Farmers-Market-...nformation.htm

Cross into Michigan at Port Huron. Follow SR-25 /US-23 north all along the eastern shoreline of MI then into the UP at St. Ignace. Be sure to try a pastie in the UP. It’s a regional tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

Head west on US-2 which will take you all the way to Idaho. Stop in Bemidji, Minnesota and walk across the Mississippi River at its source.

In Montana, visit the Fort Peck Assiniboine & Sioux tribes reservation to get a feel for how we treat the Native Americans. Depressing but educational.

US-2 is a much better, slower and more scenic drive than using the Interstate highways.

You will find that many of the small towns in Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana have municipal campgrounds. Some are free; some cost a few dollars. Stop at some on your way home to get a good feel for middle-America.

In Montana you can go north through the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park into Canada then head west to Chillawack.

My favorite source of public campgrounds is Ultimate Public Campgrounds site.

https://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/index.php

Enjoy your travels

Ed
2X on taking US 2 across the northern part of the country. I've done it a number of times, and always head into Canada to avoid Chicago. The loop around Lake Superior is nice. Now that my daughter is long gone from the University of Montana at Missoula, I tend to take a more southern route & spend the winter in Arizona, but Glacier is my favorite National Park.

I have journals of many of the trips here, which may give you some ideas of places that match your interests.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Chi town

We pull the 21 through Chicago On I-80 about 3 or 4 times per year, usually both ways. We like going through between 10 am and 2 pm on weekdays. We rarely go through on Saturday but have at about that same time. On Sundays we’re always westbound and go between 9 am and 3pm.
In 2018 we had two slowdowns which each ate up an hour. Otherwise we barely slowdown and on our way back from the Falls in Sept. never touched the brakes at 65 mph. Use your signals, pay close attention and plan your lane changes ahead. I’ve been through that “toddlin’ town about 60 times in the last 20 years and only had one very slow crossing and it was due to a 10 inch overnight snowfall at Calumet Indiana. In either direction, if you want to save a few bucks drop south in Indiana and take Highway 30. I 94 through Michigan was pretty busted up the last time I drove it (2016) and LOTS of trucks. Just my.02.
YMMV
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I agree with Dave that I-80 south of Chicago is fine, depending on the time of day. Lots of trucks, but if you are towing you should fit right in. If not towing, so be it. The worst part of Chicago is having to go north, toward Wisconsin. This takes you through much more city and the resulting traffic.

Here, I would recommend looking into I-39 going north, picking it up off I-80.

I like the US 2 route but I would like it better towing a trailer. Going west I am inclined to stay on Interstates, 90 or 94. If doing I-90 look into a 2 lane shortcut in Montana called Highway 212, just plan your fuel carefully. For the return trip take US 2.

So many choice, lots of routes and so little time.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Route 212. Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I agree with Dave that I-80 south of Chicago is fine, depending on the time of day. Lots of trucks, but if you are towing you should fit right in. If not towing, so be it. The worst part of Chicago is having to go north, toward Wisconsin. This takes you through much more city and the resulting traffic.

Here, I would recommend looking into I-39 going north, picking it up off I-80.

I like the US 2 route but I would like it better towing a trailer. Going west I am inclined to stay on Interstates, 90 or 94. If doing I-90 look into a 2 lane shortcut in Montana called Highway 212, just plan your fuel carefully. For the return trip take US 2.

So many choice, lots of routes and so little time.
Hi Paul,
I've driven that 212 a couple of times. With the Scouts we gassed in Hardin and headed for Devils Tower. We got groceries and more gas along the way somewhere. 212 goes through Broadus Mt. Home of displaced Iowan Craig O'Gorman, one of the premier long line coyote and stock predator trappers in the country. I met him a few times. Nice guy. She's wild and wooly out there and not just because of the sheep. Don't forget the great dinosaur exhibit at the Carter County Museum in Ekalaka if you're out that way, my 11 year old grandson has a bone on exhibit there that he found on a dig. Of course there was a little skirmish where 212 T's into I-90 that didn't go too well for old George Custer and his boys. That's pretty interesting too.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #25

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA
What a wonderful trip for you folks. Nice journey indeed from Mass to BC on either side of the international border. We ourselves are also heading out west to Chilliwack BC. Depart Nova Scotia late spring 2019 and drift west on the Canadian side of the line. Happy travels to you & yours !!
Lammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Just a warning - if you like to stay in campgrounds that are a bit remote (think non commercial) remember that you will often have no cell or wi-fi service. When I picked up May 2nd of 2014, I avoided commercial campgrounds. (Only stayed at one) I used a map, DeLorne mapping program, an app that worked off line and a spread sheet of recommended campgrounds. I kept distance to 150 - 200 miles per day. I would plan one day at a time. Many of the campgrounds would be listed “as a crow flies.” I would always check on my satellite gps, to verify actual driving time/distance. Getting to campgrounds early in the day helped with availability. And Never trust “Campground full” signs. If you see one, search out the campground host! More times than not, the sign was still up from the day before. Have a great trip!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #27

Trailer: ?
Two things that consistently add to our travel enjoyment.

Avoid Interstate highways unless you just must get from A to B in the shortest amount of time. Invariably there is a parallel road that was used before the interstate came through. Enjoy life in the slow lane.

If you recognize the name of a restaurant, don’t eat there. You can always get that egg McMuffin at home. Look for a restaurant with lots of old pickups in the parking lot. That’s a good sign of a locals joint where you will get a decent meal, big servings and at a fair price.

Enjoy your travels

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #28

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer
Thanks

Thanks for the tips.....
cdmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:24 AM   #29

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmixer View Post
We will travel from Massachusetts to Chilliwack, BC in June/July to pick up our 21' . This will be our first trip cross country.

Our plan is to have an easy drive to Chilliwack staying at hotels on the way there, and then take a couple extra days or week on the way back on a nice route home. Anyone have any suggestions? We have never planed a trailer trip like this before and want to make the most of it.

We are also looking at guides, maps, GPS, or any other methods you currently use to travel. (Jim gave me several suggestions) I just purchased the 2019 Rand McNally Road Atlas, I looked at GPS's and there are so many brands looking for current model's suggestions.

We will also have Verizon cell phones which will work when we have service. Anything we Missed.

Thank you this Forum has helped tremendously in the planning of our Escape 21' trailer build, and now for the planning on the trip to pick it up.

We're also planning to pick up our new 21' Escape in late June 2019. Maybe we'll see you there.

I lived in northern California for several years, and I've made that cross-country drive several times. My first time was camping on a motorcycle while still in the Navy - I only spent one night in a hotel: in Albuquerque.

If you can possibly spare the time, I would suggest you try driving down the Pacific Northwest coast from the Olympic peninsula, along the Oregon coast to the Humboldt Redwoods in extreme Northern California. The coastline in Oregon is beautifully littered with driftwood that has been washed down the Columbia River and carried southward by the California Current to be washed ashore along the Oregon beaches. Joyce Kilmer must have been in the California redwoods when he wrote his poem "Trees".

I agree with the comments about avoiding interstate highways, except there's a section of Interstate 5 near the California-Oregon border that meanders through these volcanic peaks in the Cascade range. It's a very inspiring drive.

When I moved back to the East Coast from California, I picked up all the northern/western states I hadn't been in. (Michigan was state #49 for me.) I tried reading up on the history of several places I wanted to visit on my trip: Little Big Horn, for instance That made the actual visit more rewarding.

Someone else mentioned Sault Ste. Marie. I second that recommendation. Until I visited the Soo Locks, I wasn't aware that Lake Superior is at a different elevation from the other Great Lakes. Trivia question: At what point in the lower 48 States, can one drive south into Canada?

Mike
Mike_and_Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The thumb?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #31
A&B

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_and_Cathy View Post
At what point in the lower 48 States, can one drive south into Canada?

Mike
Angle Inlet
A&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:46 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA/2022 Ram Hemi
Detroit to Windsor Ontario. More south east than south.
waltkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #33

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Detroit, MI.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #34

Trailer: 2018 5 OTA
Smile MA to BC

We too will travel to Chilliwack from MA -in June no less, to pick up our 5.0TA. We did travel across the country and back in 1980 with our compact car and a tent over a period of 10 weeks - road trips are the best way to see the country. We will take our time coming back, up to a month for the whole trip. I guess the word about this sturdy lightweight RV company has gotten out! We looked at so many other options prior to making our decision and are very excited to have just completed our build this week. According to google maps, it is 3,196 miles to Chilliwack from our house, taking 48 hours of driving time. Is it time for Escape Industries to have a place in Quebec?
margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Margie
That is going to be one great trip!

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #36

Trailer: 2000 Casita
We will be doing the same thing April 1. First time to travel across the country too from Indiana. Hoping we can find a route coming home without steep mountain roads. Anxious to follow this thread for advice!
Jan Nentrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'
Greetings from Western Mass! I just picked up our new Escape 19 and dropped it in a storage facility down in St Augustine, FL., as it was November and I wanted to avoid any snow/ice scenarios getting it back to Mass. We’re driving down tomorrow to spend Christmas week in the new camper - which my wife hasn’t seen yet!! We’ll put it back in storage afterwards and back down for a week in February and then pick it up in April and camp our way home before going up to Cape Breton Highlands National Park in July.
The only ugliness you’ll encounter in your entire transaction will be registering the trailer. You can’t. Plain and simple. Mass does not do temporary plates and they absolutely WILL NOT issue a plate without the RED STAMPED CUSTOMS FORM...which you’ll get from the driver when they bring your trailer over the border in Washington state. But there are options. I went to insurance and had it insured and they filled out the RMV1 form for me. You can stop in Lynden, WA at their DMV and they can sell you (2) 3-day travel permits (per person) for $30 each ($120 total) With two people that would give you 12 days “valid” travel. In MY case (SSSHHHHH!!! Don’t tell anyone!!!) I took the plate off of my 13’ Scamp and put it on the Escape. 4,000 miles towing the camper and it was all fine. When I went to the registry (the 2nd time) with the red stamped customs paper it took 5 minutes!
The key there, too, is to make a reasonable color COPY of the Customs form to turn in to the registry. I was told to keep the original to prove that the appropriate “tariffs” have been paid (resale issues, I presume).
Hope you enjoy your trip out and Happy Camping!!!
Mike from Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'
Gosh! We could start a Mass chapter with as many Mass folks as there are here on the forum! I just picked up our 19’ on November 6th. Love it! Can’t wait for my wife to see her new camper - I left it in St. Augustine...not only has she never seen her new camper but SHE’s NEVER EVEN BEEN IN AN ESCAPE TRAILER!!! She sent me to an Escape rally in Fort Erie, Ontario to look at them and I fell in Love be with the 19’.......I really really really hopes she likes it...!!!!! Have a fun trip ‘there and back again’...!!!!
Mike from Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #39

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Welcome Mike, Escapes popping up all over the state, 4 1/2 years ago there were no Escapes in MA, nearest was one in RI, one in VT, and one in PA. The times they are a changin.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
After we picked up our 5.0TA in May, 2015, we stayed for two nights in Bay View State Park, just north of Seattle. While we camped plenty with truck campers, we used this opportunity to learn about the ins and outs of the new toy while we were still within striking distance of its birthplace, and the right help if needed. For what it's worth, you can look at the website Campendium,
https://www.campendium.com/, to find all different sorts of campgrounds, public and private. If you take a northerly route back home, I can heartily suggest Teddy Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota - both north and south units. In the south unit we had a spot one night that the bison walk through on a nightly basis. On the border between Wyoming and Montana there is the Bighorn National Recreation Area - not to be confused with the Bighorn Mountains. This area is just south of Billings. Great scenery, and the Bighorn River canyon is spectacular. We had bighorn sheep within 20 yards! Itasca State Park in Minnesota is the sterotype big woods camping, and it is neat to walk across the headwaters of the Mississippi River. We have gone further east by going over the north shore of Lake Superior, and through northern Michigan. You will not be disappointed by either route. Best Wishes on your new toy.

Tags
chilliwack, escape 21, massachusetts, travel