Merritt, BC to Whistler - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Merritt, BC to Whistler

In a week we begin our road trip to Escape! We are taking time pre-trailer to enjoy the camping and sightseeing while the weather is still awesome, and then mid-September we'll pick up our trailer. We retired two years ago and our bucket list is getting longer! I feel the excitement of a youngster as we prepare for our journey.

We plan on traveling without our trailer from Merritt, BC to Whistler. We skied here on our 25th anniversary and have always wanted to return. From what we can tell, there are two ways to travel: BC-99 or TC-1. BC-99. Can you enlighten us as to which you prefer and why? Is it rugged terrain or easy, slopping drive?

Again, we really appreciate all the help we've received these past few months ranging from radios, to windows, to dinette shape and to fabric. Little do you realize how we read everyone's post and we always have something to learn. Looking back it was overwhelming ordering our trailer, but now we are on the home stretch.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
In a week we begin our road trip to Escape! We are taking time pre-trailer to enjoy the camping and sightseeing while the weather is still awesome, and then mid-September we'll pick up our trailer. We retired two years ago and our bucket list is getting longer! I feel the excitement of a youngster as we prepare for our journey.

We plan on traveling without our trailer from Merritt, BC to Whistler. We skied here on our 25th anniversary and have always wanted to return. From what we can tell, there are two ways to travel: BC-99 or TC-1. BC-99. Can you enlighten us as to which you prefer and why? Is it rugged terrain or easy, slopping drive?

Again, we really appreciate all the help we've received these past few months ranging from radios, to windows, to dinette shape and to fabric. Little do you realize how we read everyone's post and we always have something to learn. Looking back it was overwhelming ordering our trailer, but now we are on the home stretch.

Lorna
I'd recommend continue on Coquihalla Hwy (5) to Hope from Merritt where it turns into Hwy 1 to Vancouver, then Hwy 99 to Whistler. Vancouver to Whistler (sea to Sky highway) is one of the nicest drives in Canada and much easier since all the improvements for the 20110 Olympics. The other way is nice too but longer (time wise, shorter distance) and a lot of two lane windy up and down roads.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
How long is the drive from Vancouver over to Whistler?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Suggest you use Google Maps to plot routes.
Would be huge difference, depending if you are starting from downtown during rush hour, or my house at 11am.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #5
P&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Suggest you use Google Maps to plot routes.
Would be huge difference, depending if you are starting from downtown during rush hour, or my house at 11am.
I just can't keep up with the technology. At your suggestion, I looked at that application. I think I can only use it on a phone?? I guess I need a new one since mine is a 4GS with the minimal storage---so no room for more apps even though I deleted all but a handful of photos. I have been using mapquest, but I suppose that is already outdated....
Old 08-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
P&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
I'd recommend continue on Coquihalla Hwy (5) to Hope from Merritt where it turns into Hwy 1 to Vancouver, then Hwy 99 to Whistler. Vancouver to Whistler (sea to Sky highway) is one of the nicest drives in Canada and much easier since all the improvements for the 20110 Olympics. The other way is nice too but longer (time wise, shorter distance) and a lot of two lane windy up and down roads.
Actually we are going to return from Whistler to Vancouver; I remember that drive when my husband and I were there celebrating our anniversary at Whistler in Winter of 2003. We lucked out and Whistler was putting on a show for the Olympic Committee---what an awesome and memorable trip. I am not used to skiing for 5 days straight and the hot tub (and Advil) was great at the end of each day. How time flies....
Old 08-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 19 foot
I would go from Merritt to Spences Bridge, on to Lytton, up river to Lilloet. Check out the wineries. From there head to Duffey Lake, short detour and hike to Joffre Lakes and then on to Pemberton and Whistler.
berickso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post

Lorna
Two totally different ways to get there. From Merritt, personally and without the trailer I'd take the Duffy lake way. It's very twisty but people do take RVs over it and bikers love it. Very scenic and shorter.

Taking the through Vancouver route to get to Whistler, at the wrong time of day, could be an unhappy experience.

As for how long it takes to get from Vancouver to Whistler. Depends if you're just out for a Sunday drive or it's Friday night and you just want to get to your place at Whistler to start your ski weekend.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Agreed. If I was on vacation, I'd take Duffy Lake.
I've been trying to talk my wife into moving to Chilliwack so that I don't have to drive from North Van to Hope to get anywhere I want to be.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 19 foot
Check out the Drive BC website. Drive times, road repairs. If you have time, you could also go Merritt to Kamloops. Kamloops to Sun Peaks ski resort. Ride the chair and walk the alpine.

Come for coffee in Whitecroft.
berickso is offline   Reply With Quote