Moab - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Moab

Will be in Moab area tomorrow. What are some favorite campgrounds for first come/serve?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:58 PM   #2

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Blm area called slick rock.

ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Will be in Moab area tomorrow. What are some favorite campgrounds for first come/serve?
I hope you report on your Moab campground experience.

In the past, I liked to camp on the river (north on Highway 128 or south on the Potash Road, Highway 279) when campgrounds at Arches or Dead Horse Point were full. That was many years ago, however, but now Moab has become so over-run that I am advised by those with more recent experience to stay away during spring and summer. This is the height of the college spring break season, too, so you can expect a lot of activity in the area.

I assume you know these links, but here is Moab campground information:
Arches area camping, Moab BLM campgrounds (includes a Strategy for finding a campsite on Moab BLM), and Sand Flats camping.

-Dave
Old 03-12-2015, 12:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
Blm area called slick rock.

ken
In the Sand Flats Recreation Area, campground "B" is next to the Slick Rock Bike Trail.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #5

Thanks- we will report. To date I can say that Zion is a construction project at Watchman's , however South Campground (which we prefer anyways is first come. You can drive in until 3/16 then the shuttles start again. Went to Bryce but only one campground open and snow was still on ground. Decided to head towards Richfield and found Piute S.P. located on a reservoir. No one else here, very pretty. Pushing on to Moab; we saw a small contingent of students at Zion and hoping the full Spring Break crowd is yet to come.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We camped last September in Arches National Park, Devils Garden Campground, site 18, and it was the best site ever. The campground road rises to about site 20 the goes down into a small valley. Site 18 and nearby sites are on top and you are in the midst of great rock formations. I understand reservations are needed but well worth the effort. It is a dry campground with flush toilets only. There's an arch right behind the restroom and amphitheatre. We loved it and can't wait to get back.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #7

At Big Bend #3 off hwy 128. As predicted Arches, with 52 campsites is full and reserved through August! Very happy to be here- first visit. Going to be here for , weather looks great and will check out Delicate Arch tomorrow early then cruise around towards Moab & Sand Flats.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
At Big Bend #3 off hwy 128. As predicted Arches, with 52 campsites is full and reserved through August! Very happy to be here- first visit. Going to be here for , weather looks great and will check out Delicate Arch tomorrow early then cruise around towards Moab & Sand Flats.
Hike across the canyon to the base of the arch. It's worth the extra distance.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #9

Thanks Rob, will do!
Old 03-13-2015, 01:28 AM   #10

Quote:
will check out Delicate Arch tomorrow early then cruise around towards Moab & Sand Flats.
Be sure to get an early start for Delicate Arch, since trailhead parking is limited.

If you have the time and energy while in Arches, you also should consider the Devils Garden hike. This is one of the best hikes, ever. Take the main trail to Double O Arch with a possible extension to Dark Angel, then return via the primitive loop.

-Dave
Old 03-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
We camped last September in Arches National Park, Devils Garden Campground, site 18, and it was the best site ever. The campground road rises to about site 20 the goes down into a small valley. Site 18 and nearby sites are on top and you are in the midst of great rock formations. I understand reservations are needed but well worth the effort. It is a dry campground with flush toilets only. There's an arch right behind the restroom and amphitheatre. We loved it and can't wait to get back.
would agree #18 is a nice spot. So are 24,27,29,46&52. Am writing this from Sand Arch parking lot w/Wilson 3W. Somehow wonder if that cradle would do it. Have 2 bars of 1x network w/verizon.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I second the Devil's Garden hike. This time of year I don't expect the tour buses to be depositing the volume of tourists you see in summer, but in summer the Devil's Garden hike is one of the few where you can get away from people without doing a really long trek.

At the campground we climbed this rock beside our campsite to get cell phone reception. It was recommended by the camp host. In this time exposure I took you can see another use for the rock. The young German couple camped beside us had gone up the rock to star gaze and I didn't notice them until they came by our campfire to ask if they had wrecked my picture. When I realized they were actually in the picture we traded email addresses and later I sent them the pic. Notice the Big Dipper behind them.

We hope to go back to that campground again in a year or so with our new Escape 21.

Bob K
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2042_2.jpg  
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Amazing shot Bob.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Jane View Post
... If you have the time and energy while in Arches, you also should consider the Devils Garden hike. This is one of the best hikes, ever. Take the main trail to Double O Arch with a possible extension to Dark Angel, then return via the primitive loop.

-Dave
Photo along the Primitive Loop, returning to trailhead. Take plenty of film. Whoops, memory cards.

Also take good hiking shoes and reasonable athletic ability. You will need to climb some slick rock where fear of heights is not recommended.

--
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Primitive Trail Return_s.jpg  
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Photo along the Primitive Loop, returning to trailhead. Take plenty of film. Whoops, memory cards.

Also take good hiking shoes and reasonable athletic ability. You will need to climb some slick rock where fear of heights is not recommended.

--
Alan
Great hike! Agree with everything above and of course bring plenty of water. Think hike easier to go up the primitive trail to the left then circle around to the right to return. That way you're not having to come down those rocks.

Camping: it's limited so either reserve or tey to get in by 9-10 AM to the first come sights. Several on the Colorado River. Didnt personally care for Slickrock are as there are a lot of Motorheads(no insult intended to those who like to quad or whatever).

Canyonlands same with hard to find sites without a reservation but we actually prefer Horsetheif to Dead horse State Park or Willow Flats (which no resv but limited)
Old 03-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Canyonlands same with hard to find sites without a reservation but we actually prefer Horsetheif to Dead horse State Park or Willow Flats (which no resv but limited)
Can I ask why? I'll be attempting reservations at both Arches and Deadhorse in April for October.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Great hike! Agree with everything above and of course bring plenty of water. Think hike easier to go up the primitive trail to the left then circle around to the right to return. That way you're not having to come down those rocks.

Camping: it's limited so either reserve or tey to get in by 9-10 AM to the first come sights. Several on the Colorado River. Didnt personally care for Slickrock are as there are a lot of Motorheads(no insult intended to those who like to quad or whatever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Can I ask why? I'll be attempting reservations at both Arches and Deadhorse in April for October.
Hi Bob- next time we would try to reserve in Arches at Devil's Garden as it is close to several hiking areas. For Canyonlands Horsethief just felt better with larger sites with great views. Deadhorse is the only place there is water, but is no closer to inside Canyonlands Park. Willow Flats is and is first come.
Edit: Deadhorse is $25 vs. $15. We drove through it to check on a single nite cancellation and passed. It is the only place up there with an RV dump station.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Great shot, Bob! How long was your exposure? Loved that the Big Dipper was so bright. Nice.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks, Eric. The exposure for the night shot was 50 seconds at F 7.1 and ISO 800, using a Canon 18-55 mm lens set to 24 mm. Camera was a Canon T2i. One of the best things about the photo was it gave us two new friends, the German couple. We kept bumping into them at other campsites as well and shared a glass of wine around the campfire. Since this 2012 photo my wife has taken up photography, so we had to get another DSLR for her. It is apparent that I am the technician and she the better artist. I hope we get a chance to go back to The Arches one day soon.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Thanks for the info. Good thing the couple didn't move much!
We, too, have met some nice Germans in that area. They do like our wine and wide open spaces!
Eric