Monument Valley - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2015, 10:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 17' Escape Floor B
Monument Valley

Don't know how to start new subject so " Monument Valley in March in my 17' B! Work my way back through Grand Tetons and Yellowstone 😃 Possily Hells Canyon on the way home!
What do you think? How long would you take to do that?
Old 01-16-2015, 02:41 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You did look at the weather in March right?

I come up with between 2 and 7 weeks for the 3000 ml trip, pretty subjective thing.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigolsen View Post
Don't know how to start new subject so " Monument Valley in March in my 17' B! Work my way back through Grand Tetons and Yellowstone 😃 Possily Hells Canyon on the way home!
What do you think? How long would you take to do that?
March is far too early.

In March you are unlikely to find open RV Parks or campgrounds and nobody plows BLM land.

Monument Valley and Moab are probably best in April but I have been snowed on it Monument Valley in April.

The roads in Yellowstone and the Tetons don't open until mid-May.

This is West Yellowstone on May 12th. The RV Park was using a skip loader to clear the sites. There were no open campgrounds in Yellowstone Park or in the surrounding National Forest.

Yellowstone Lake May17th.

If you check our blog for April and May of 2008 you can idea of the weather that time of year.

BirdingRVers.com

Grant
Grant & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
We're considering Monument Valley and up into the Grand-Staircase Escalante National Monument the later part of April. I worry that this is a little early, but it's how the schedule works out. I think March would be real early, particularly for Yellowstone.

I'd like to hear opinions on Monument Valley and the Escalante in April as well as March.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We were in Yellowstone this past June and the campgrounds had just opened. As it was, there was some snow on the ground and we had snow a couple of evenings. Most days, however, were warm and beautiful. Many areas, we were told, don't open until June so the hungry bears, coming out of hibernation in April/May, don't cross paths with the tourists.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Monument Valley and Yellowstone can't really be compared. MV, little snow, maybe cold but certainly beautiful and desolate that time of year. Gouldings is the only campground, I'd call to see if they're open otherwise it doesn't make any difference. We've been all over Northern Arizona, Western Utah, Nevada and the California deserts in winter. Gorgeous! Short of a freak blizzard, expect those areas to be all open and passable. Shirt sleeves during the day and freezing or below at night. Watch for the passes connecting some of these places to be problematic but just choose lower elevations. I'd recommend Zion, Bryce Canyon, Great Basin, Death Valley, Monument Valley, South Rim! Arches and Grand Staircase? Maybe. Yellowstone? Best to defer to the pros on that one but you could put together an awesome trip south in March and April!
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I concur completely with Greggo. MV, northern Arizona and southern Utah are all great that time of year, but Yellowstone is another world. Some of the deepest snow and coldest temperatures in North America have been recorded there, and it doesn't really warm up for camping until May -- sometimes even June! It all sits in an ancient caldera that is elevated above the surrounding regions. Because of this, Yellowstone can be 20 or 30 degrees colder than areas just 50 miles away.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I'd recommend Zion, Bryce Canyon, Great Basin, Death Valley, Monument Valley, South Rim! Arches and Grand Staircase?
The lower Great Basin NP facilities (visitor center, Lehman Cave and lower campgrounds) should be open all year, but at 10,000 ft. elevation, the upper areas (Wheeler campground and the bristlecone forest) are not accessible until late May or early June. At 8000 ft., you should expect snowy conditions at Bryce in March, but they keep the roads cleared and campgrounds open all year. Nights will be cold and the trees will be leafless in Arches (4500 ft.) and Grand Staircase (6000 ft.), but it should be a fine time to visit, especially if you have a warm trailer to sleep in.

-Dave
Old 01-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
I, too, agree with Greggo. Our experience in Bryce, Zion, Lake Powell in March was cold mornings (30s) to low 50s in the afternoon. Plus, an isolated snow shower. Lake Powell tends to be windy. Still beautiful and good for hiking.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 17' Escape Floor B
Thanks for all your thoughts! I think mid March to Death Valley and then on to Las Vegas will be my first move. Never been to Death Valley so here I come!
Old 01-31-2015, 09:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you are going to Vegas, be sure to spend a couple of days at Valley of Fire State Park. Beautiful formations, interesting hikes, and 2 campgrounds, one with water & electric hookups.