Mosquito bite treatment - Therapik - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think one of the biggest fails people make is to give in to scratching a mosquito bite when it itches. This seems to just irritate a bite even more. I quit scratching bites years ago, and this has seemed to see the irritant go away quite fast. When I scratched, it seemed to last a day or two.
An alternative to scratching that has been in the Occupational Therapist "toolkit" for many years is deep pressure on the site. There are a different set of sensory cells under your skin that senses deep, as opposed to light (scratching) pressure. Activating these cells interferes with the sensations being transmitted by the light touch sensors and the brain is distracted from "noticing" them. Don't scratch it, press on it.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
There is also the scald method. Turn your shower to full hot, like too hot to stand in, and then hold just the affected area in the stream for a few seconds, until you can’t stand it. It’ll be so hot it actually feels cold. This basically fries the nerve endings in the area and you won’t itch for days. Until they grow back. Works on poison oak too. But obviously, *Use With Caution*. It’s technically a first degree burn. You don’t want second degree (blisters).
Old 06-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 19'
I use afterbite. An ammonia based product. Also had my Derm prescribe cortisone cream to have on the road. Aging body is having more & longer reactions to bites.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
There is also the scald method. Turn your shower to full hot, like too hot to stand in, and then hold just the affected area in the stream for a few seconds, until you can’t stand it. It’ll be so hot it actually feels cold. This basically fries the nerve endings in the area and you won’t itch for days. Until they grow back. Works on poison oak too. But obviously, *Use With Caution*. It’s technically a first degree burn. You don’t want second degree (blisters).
The heat treatment (Therapik or other heat options) isn't supposed to fry nerve endings. The goal is to denature the proteins in the mosquito's saliva that are causing the inflammation. Denaturing the proteins helps dull your body's immune response, reducing inflammation and itching.

From Wikipedia:
The mosquito, as with all blood-feeding arthropods, has mechanisms to effectively block the hemostasis system with their saliva, which contains a mixture of secreted proteins. Mosquito saliva negatively affects vascular constriction, blood clotting, platelet aggregation, angiogenesis and immunity, and creates inflammation

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
The heat treatment (Therapik or other heat options) isn't supposed to fry nerve endings. The goal is to denature the proteins in the mosquito's saliva that are causing the inflammation.

I don’t dispute any of that. I’m just pointing out another option that uses a different mechanism. And one that works for more than mosquito bites. I discovered it accidentally long ago for treating poison oak and then later found it works for mosquito bites as well. Not sure that it would help with bee stings though, but never tried. I’ve been much more successful avoiding angry bees over the years than hungry mosquitoes. Do note that scalding only kills the itching but does nothing to speed healing. Frankincense oil, otoh, does both.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #26

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Wonder if it would work on chigger bites. Being a northerner, I never ran into them until a trip to Florida. Man, are they nasty!

My bites (from Texas) have still not healed up completely and that happened weeks ago. It never occurred to me there would be biting bugs in the tall grass we walked through to get to the longhorns in my friend's pasture. Yep, I now know about them.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Okay start laughing now! …. but it works.

When mosquitos follow me into my trailer at night, I turn off all the lights and lay down on my bed on my back and with my head lamp on. Light shining towards my feet and blowing out my breath right down the light beam as if I'm saying "Oooo" The mosquitos will sense the carbon dioxide / perhaps heat in my breath and follow right down my headlamp beam. The light will light up their eyes and you can range on them very easily and get them with a clap of your hands …. I'll brag here with a 'hit' score approaching 90%. Doesn't take long to clear out your trailer. I don't have a TV.

By the way, the light reflected off their eyes is a very beautiful and bright blue and green … now you will all have a hint as to how wacky I am. Smirk … it really does work.

Tom
Old 06-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Okay start laughing now! …. but it works.

When mosquitos follow me into my trailer at night, I turn off all the lights and lay down on my bed on my back and with my head lamp on. Light shining towards my feet and blowing out my breath right down the light beam as if I'm saying "Oooo" The mosquitos will sense the carbon dioxide / perhaps heat in my breath and follow right down my headlamp beam. The light will light up their eyes and you can range on them very easily and get them with a clap of your hands …. I'll brag here with a 'hit' score approaching 90%. Doesn't take long to clear out your trailer. I don't have a TV.

By the way, the light reflected off their eyes is a very beautiful and bright blue and green … now you will all have a hint as to how wacky I am. Smirk … it really does work.

Tom
Only thing better than that is to nail them with a Harbor Freight Electric Zapping Tennis Racket! Often available free with a coupon...
Old 06-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #29

Geologist's remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Mosquitoes blackflies and other such pests bother me as much as anyone else when they are biting. However, I am fortunate in that I very rarely have a reaction of any kind after being bitten. Probably due to the natural extremely high alcohol content of my blood!
Dave, my late father spent every summer in the North working for the Canadian Geological Survey and being bitten by blackflies. He said that the northern remedy was to either drink a bottle of whiskey every day, or don't wash for a month. My Dad didn't drink!
rb5511 is offline   Reply With Quote