Musing after my first outing in the trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 12:49 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Musing after my first outing in the trailer

Okay, got my first outing in the trailer under my belt (so to speak, since I don't wear one).

Following are my observations from that outing, in no particular order:

1. LOVE the Frig Guard. I didn't have to worry about stuff falling out of the frig when I opened it. Kind of hard to figure out what is where through the panels though, but that's something I'll learn over time. But, yeah, love that thing. If you want your very own Frig Guard, go here (not getting any kickbacks - dang!):

RV Fridge Guard

2. If you aren't height challenged and you're used to flinging your arms over your head to take off sweaters and such, please note: Um, gotta change your routine. Especially if you stand under the a/c unit. (5.0TA owners don't need to worry about this fact.) Bruising was not involved, but there were a few swear words involved early on.

3. Label all your containers that have multiple items wadded in them. I did on one, but not all of 'em. Good thing they're easy to open and all that. I know, I practiced opening them up multiple times. I'm now a pro at opening said containers.

4. LOVE my sink!!!! Sorry, I can't show you the link since ETI won't install it any longer, but I sure love it. Nice and deep; a bar sink. I have a bar-type faucet (so not as tall as residential) and it was great for washing dishes and hands. It didn't splatter water all over the place. Oh yeah - add dishwashing gloves to the list of needed items.

5. Still not thrilled with the glossy sealer along the back of the counter. Took me several wipes of the counter before I realized it wasn't water back there.

6. Have accepted the sink in the bathroom. Great place to stash the showerhead & hose while traveling as heck if I know if it'll stay in place while cruising down the road.

7. The medicine cabinet stayed closed while in transit. I just have to get in the habit of making sure the toilet lid is down before opening it - JUST IN CASE! Hey, you never know. I got some dividers from Charlie of RV Widget Works and I absolutely love 'em. Keeps things sorted and tidy in there. Yep, love those suckers.

8. Furnace on propane really cranks out the heat. Especially in the AM when I'm warming up the trailer before I take my shower. I kind of don't want to pop out of a hot shower and turn into an ice cube. I like to sleep in a cooler room, so it's rather nippy (one might say, such as hubby although he'd use a bit stronger word than nippy) in there when I get up.

9. Sewing projects: a cover for the Maxx fan and the door window to block out sunlight. Yeah, I know, some of you get up before the crack of dawn, but not this person. I'm not sure what dawn looks like, but I know it can light up the room more than I want when I'm trying to snooze.

10. I sleep to a sound machine and recently bought a new one. I really like the rainfall setting. Woke up the first night and wondered why the heck it was so loud. Turns out it was actual rain on the roof! Too funny. This is what I got (not cheap, but I sure like it):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SMJQT4...CZ5AEMUJ&psc=1

It also helped drown out the yappy dog in a nearby rig. Fortunately said yappy dog didn't yap for too long - thank you yappy dog owner!

11. A few of you thought I had too many pillows on the dinette. Nope, I have just the right amount. Plus, several of them are used when I prop myself up in bed to read for a bit before snoozing. And all those pillows are nice to have around me when I read. I worked my way through 3 fairly decent sized books. It was so quiet I wanted to take advantage of it and too cold to sit outside to read.

12. My spiffy folding TV tray worked wonders for eating at. Yep, another purchase through Amazon. I love it. I did have to be a bit careful when moving it around so it didn't fall off the edge of the raised area of the dinette. (We don't have the table installed and one of the filler boards and a cushion are in place instead.) It folds up very easily and I can leave it on the bed while in transit or stash it under the bed. It's not really marble, so you don't need to worry about extra weight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lucky 13: This was pretty much my first time cooking on propane (other than the motorhome rental 2 years ago). The pan set I got worked really well on the burner and my hash browns were done perfectly. After I had to do a grocery store run for butter. Yep, forgot to create a food list and thought I'd remember it all. Nope, didn't and will be making that list real soon; before my next outing.

Note: it's great when you bring along your new jar of low FODMAP salsa (those in the know will know how exciting that statement is), however it's the pits when you realize you forgot your blue corn chips to go with the tasty salsa. Not making another trip to the grocery store for that. Jeez.

Here's my pans (the cups are fun to drink out of and the plates held my meals just fine):

Pinnacle Camper Cookware Set | GSI Outdoors

14. Toaster oven worked beautifully. Baked some Chilean Sea Bass (with gluten free bread crumbs) one night and a stuffed chicken breast another night, both with a pan of baked cubes of potatoes.

15. Need to remember to check tank levels before heading out (for my driving lessons, which was the reason for this outing). Yep, gray tank was full and I discovered that I also forgot to screw in the plug in the showerpan. Won't make those mistakes again. Fortunately it was the GREY tank, if you know what I mean.

16. Follows with #15 in that I'm sure glad I have some flooring stuff in the bathroom when said tank overflowed. My shoes didn't get that wet. Um, yeah.

I was afraid the flooring would be too stiff or harsh under my feet when I was showering, but they were fine. Yay for that!

Rugged Grip-Loc Tiles - Outdoor Patio Interlocking tile

All in all, I'm super thrilled over my first outing in the trailer. I have a few things to add (like food list!) and change (container for bread crumbs instead of the well used bag they're in). But it'll take time to get these things figured out and all that.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Buy see-through plastic containers and you won't have to label them.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Many of us are pretty impressed with how you're diving right into the deep end of the pool! Keep it up and keep having fun!

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Glad you were successful in solo operation, enjoy....
Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Buy see-through plastic containers and you won't have to label them.
Yeah, I know. But I have all these solid black containers from The Container Store that I used for the coasters I stamp and sell, which are now discontinued and marked down. So, when I'm through with a show I (hopefully) have more empty bins than before. Gotta use 'em for something and they fit nicely in the cupboards.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #6

17. Remember to flip the tabs on the stove vent flap thingie before using the stove. Especially when what you're cooking creates a lot of steam.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
Many of us are pretty impressed with how you're diving right into the deep end of the pool! Keep it up and keep having fun!
Thanks Dave. But what would be the alternative? Keeping it in the driveway for long periods of time and not using it? Nope, not this person! So far I have 14 events booked/planned for using the trailer between now and October.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #8

Question on Maxx fan

I forgot to ask this earlier:

18. How the heck do you best determine which way the stinkin' fan is going? I've flipped it from one way to the other and I can't figure it out. I still feel air moving around with either direction.

I thought about blowing out a lite match and seeing if the smoke goes up or down, but wasn't sure if that was a good way to find out. Plus, I kind of forgot to do that while I was out last weekend and haven't had a chance to check it yet.

So, wondering if there's another way to check. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
How the heck do you best determine which way the stinkin' fan is going?
I can tell by looking at the (slowly) rotating blades. If the blades are "scooping" the air and forcing it up, the fan is on exhaust. If the blades are "scooping" the air and forcing it down, the fan is on intake. Maybe I'm not explaining this clearly, but it's how I tell. Good luck!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Isn't your switch labeled "In" and "Out"? Mine is.
Attached Thumbnails
exhaust.jpg  
Old 03-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Mine is not a toggle switch but one of those push-button thingies so no label.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Laura thanks for sharing your experience with us. We can all learn from each other's thoughts and ideas and you have given us plenty of things to consider. Sounds like you are really pleased with your toaster oven and what you are able to do with it.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Isn't your switch labeled "In" and "Out"? Mine is.
I wish. Just has swirly arrows going each direction that really don't tell me diddly squat. Once I figure it out, I'll add labels of my own.

And yeah, Karen - make sense to you, but not me!
Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I wish. Just has swirly arrows going each direction that really don't tell me diddly squat. Once I figure it out, I'll add labels of my own.

And yeah, Karen - make sense to you, but not me!
I believe your remote tells you which direction or turn up the speed, you can definitely feel the air direction.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe your remote tells you which direction or turn up the speed, you can definitely feel the air direction.
Didn't get the remote.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Just turn the fan up on high. You'll definitely be able to tell what direction the air is flowing. If it's blowing out, and you want it in.. turn it the other direction.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
A small piece of ribbon or kleenex held close perhaps...

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
A small piece of ribbon or kleenex held close perhaps...
Yup. Just used a paper towel yesterday to make sure it was exhausting as I had fiberglass and sawdust in the air when doing my medicine cabinet mod. When I'm out troubleshooting commercial HVAC systems I've used tissues, paper or even a dollar bill.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Yup. Just used a paper towel yesterday to make sure it was exhausting as I had fiberglass and sawdust in the air when doing my medicine cabinet mod. When I'm out troubleshooting commercial HVAC systems I've used tissues, paper or even a dollar bill.
A dollar bill? What's that?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
A dollar bill? What's that?
Remember, we are dealing with those backwards American types here. Not quite as up to date as us Canuckleheads are.

Bet they are still using pennies too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote