My First 17B Trip! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
Which made me wonder what I should do to protect the solar panel and anything else on the roof! ...
With its tempered glass, the solar panel is probably the least likely thing on the roof to be damaged.

Here in the Front Range foothills of Colorado we frequently have golf ball size hail and occasionally up to baseball size. I'm thinking the best protection is a good insurance policy.

I'm sure others will have some good opinions.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Haha, those big dogs have to be worse than my 25 pounders!

Good idea, gbaglo. I have been looking at barriers since I think they might like to have a view while riding in the car.

Oh, I am reminded - I saved a screenshot of one of my Words With Friends games for you, reason should be obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0208.PNG  
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
With its tempered glass, the solar panel is probably the least likely thing on the roof to be damaged.

Here in the Front Range foothills of Colorado we frequently have golf ball size hail and occasionally up to baseball size. I'm thinking the best protection is a good insurance policy.

I'm sure others will have some good opinions.

--
Alan
Thanks, Alan!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Looks like you are getting some good use out of both your trailer, and your camera. That's great!!! Always enjoy seeing photos from other's trips.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Old 03-29-2015, 12:05 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Linda, welcome back home with the new 17. I knew that you were going to be gone for a while and was wondering if you were back yet. Quite an adventure you had there. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:28 AM   #27

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Wonderful photos , wonderful trip ...and really love that red !
Old 03-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Quote:
I have been looking at barriers since I think they might like to have a view while riding in the car.
Our dogs finally convinced us they needed a view too, and we got these Snoozers for our back seat. They work great, dogs love 'em, we do too. They stay put, but they have stuff to look at.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #29

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Nindy, Sounded like you guys had a lot of fun on your first trip.
I'm from the area of 29 palms have to say its such a beautiful place hopefully you were able to do some star gazing.
Congrats I just can't wait until mine is complete.
Marion
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #30

Quote:
A little late here since I've been home five days now but my little dogs and I survived our 6,915 mile trip to pick up our 17B trailer!

The first leg of my whole trip was to get to Portland via Green Valley, AZ where I needed to tend to some business with my late husband's parents. Southern Arizona is on the way to Portland from Kansas City, right?? After six days I arrived in Portland for a week of visiting, food trucks, dog parks and waterfalls with my son and his wife, my aunt and uncle, two cousins, and old friends from KC.

And....I got to meet Donna D. and Dave and Kathie! So great to meet them and see their trailers and get some good tips from them. A preview of things to come!

After a week in Portland, my BFF and driving and cooking partner Darryl arrived by plane and went with me to Chilliwack. Well, first we spent the afternoon in Seattle visiting Pike Place Market and eating lunch at the Space Needle while the pups spent the afternoon with Andrew, an awesome downtown dogsitter from Rover.com.

We picked up first thing on Monday morning and got our orientation. So great to meet all the ETI people! We also took a peek at the other models in the lot. After crossing the border, I drove the first leg through Seattle rush hour traffic all the way to Portland which really wasn't all that bad. The 17B and diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee are perfect partners.

We stopped in Portland to show my son and cousin the trailer, then loaded up the boxes of things that I had shipped to his house, and took off for the coast. We arrived in Lincoln City around 10 p.m. and decided to stay in a motel since we didn't have anything put away yet. The next day was a nice trip down Highway 101 enjoying the ocean views.

This worked out fine since that put our first cooked meal and first night in the trailer at the gorgeous Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park near Crescent City! They were working on the campground on many of the sites but we found an easy one to back into and built a fire and set up camp. Very beautiful there for the inaugural night. Very cool night too, around 39 degrees, but we actually never used the furnace the entire trip! I bought a cute little Pelonis heater too and only plugged it in the last morning to see how well it worked which was very well.

I had bought an RV Superbag and made flannel sheets for it from some organic cotton sheets I bought at 75% off from my favorite online organic sheet company and we were super comfortable all night.

We decided not to do as much coastline as we originally had planned since we did have a deadline to get Darryl back to work eventually so we stayed on Highway 101 and I will leave Highway 1 for a future trip.

Our next two nights were in Napa at the Napa Valley Expo RV Park which was within walking distance of downtown. We visited a couple of wineries including Mario Andretti's and the dogs were able to go with us. (So nice how dog-friendly the west coast is! My dogs visited many dog parks during the whole trip and were able to eat breakfast inside with me at The Tin Shed in Portland plus shop in jewelry stores in Santa Fe.)

We had dinner the second night at the easier-to-get-reservations Thomas Keller restaurant Ad Hoc and ran into some friends of my son's and daughter-in-law's from back home in Kansas City. Small world!

From Napa we drove to Twentynine Palms and spent the night at the RV park there so we could visit Joshua Tree National Park the next morning. We stopped in the park and Darryl cooked omelettes and I made French toast and we had a nice brunch in the trailer. We left Joshua Tree in the afternoon, drove through the Phoenix area, and spent the next night in Payson, AZ.

After ordering dinner at a restaurant in Payson, I went out to walk the dogs and a couple drove up who had seen us drive in from across the street. They had just sold their large motorhome and wanted a tour of the trailer! He had some good information about where to stay nearby and how it would not be good to drive the roads there at night due to elk and other critters roaming around. So we were able to easily find a campground nearby for the night. Beautiful there in the Tonto National Forest.

The next afternoon found us in Santa Fe for a quick tour of some shops and cathedrals and dinner. The pups enjoyed the walk around downtown. My dogs are very visual and watch TV and also think statues are real. Luna barked at the statue of John the Baptist but Lily was way into St. Francis of Assisi.

Spent the last night at a campground in "where-are-you-taking-me-Linda?" Clayton, NM. Hey-we took the quickest route home, which was the back roads.

Ate a BBQ lunch in Wichita, KS just three hours from home where I again gave a tour of the trailer in the restaurant parking lot to a woman who had been looking at Casitas.

The trip total - 6,915 miles, 22 days, 26 mpg without the trailer, 19 mpg with the trailer. That did include a lot of elevation changes and some 75+ mph driving after leaving California. We actually got home a day early to give my buddy a day of rest before returning to work. I will now post some photos!
Quote:
Haha, those big dogs have to be worse than my 25 pounders!

Good idea, gbaglo. I have been looking at barriers since I think they might like to have a view while riding in the car.

Oh, I am reminded - I saved a screenshot of one of my Words With Friends games for you, reason should be obvious.
that's funny
Old 03-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Warning - I think I did take a lot of trailer photos.

So pretty
Old 03-29-2015, 04:42 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Within four hours of arriving home, we had a hail storm. Tiny hail, but oftentimes it's bigger. Which made me wonder what I should do to protect the solar panel and anything else on the roof! Maybe a piece of old carpet? What do any of you do? I had a couple of other questions for the group but they are escaping me right now...
Linda that must have been the same storm that went through straight west of you here in Leavenworth where we are visiting with daughter and family. I was worried not so much about the trailer but my truck, but as you say the hail was pretty small and did no damage. We head home tomorrow with our Escape after having spent much of the winter in southern TX

Great trip report and pictures, like the choice of fabric.

Had you thought about attending the Mississippi rally the end of September? It looks lIke there will be lots of Escapes of all sizes there.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Hi Nindy.
What a great trip report. Absolutely love the photos of your trailer and your journey! Love your fabric choice too! Looks like you are all set for new adventures!
Thanks for sharing your maiden trip! So exciting!
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
Hi Nindy,

Love seeing another 17B with gaucho! Great report and beautiful pictures!
I think we missed you at ETI only by a day because we took our 17B to home in Portland on Tuesday.

After spending couple nights in it I too have a organization dilemma. We have 4 people using the trailer so there are things everywhere. Please share any tips you have?

Wish you more great trailer time to come!
Old 03-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Great report Nindy. Thanks so much for posting it.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoaoka View Post
Hi Nindy,

After spending couple nights in it I too have a organization dilemma. We have 4 people using the trailer so there are things everywhere. Please share any tips you have?

Wish you more great trailer time to come!
Ha, probably don't have any great tips yet! It's just me in my trailer so I'll probably fill all the space on my own. I do keep rethinking what I need and don't need and removing a few things here and there. I'm sure it will all fall in place eventually. That's part of the fun.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Linda that must have been the same storm that went through straight west of you here in Leavenworth where we are visiting with daughter and family. I was worried not so much about the trailer but my truck, but as you say the hail was pretty small and did no damage. We head home tomorrow with our Escape after having spent much of the winter in southern TX

Great trip report and pictures, like the choice of fabric.

Had you thought about attending the Mississippi rally the end of September? It looks lIke there will be lots of Escapes of all sizes there.

Adrian
Yes, I'm sure the same storm. I heard about the Mississippi rally and will consider that!
Old 04-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1549 View Post
Nindy, Sounded like you guys had a lot of fun on your first trip.
I'm from the area of 29 palms have to say its such a beautiful place hopefully you were able to do some star gazing.
Congrats I just can't wait until mine is complete.
Marion
I definitely noticed the beautiful night sky there, Marion!