National Parks... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 01:41 AM   #1

Trailer: we'll see
National Parks...

Hi folks,

so after reading a bit more about the trailer and camping I got another question.

My hubby would like (really really like) to travel to places like the Glacier Bay National Park. Looking at pics on the internet it sure is very beautiful up there and living in BC it pretty much feels like we have to go there.

Thing is, I am more interested in travelling to total different places. I'd like to go to San Francisco; in general I am more interested in seeing as much as possible from the US. There are lots of nice places in BC and Canada in general. But I find the US so much more exciting.

On top I am as we call it a small "Angsthase" (= fear rabbit ), and therefor don't feel comfortable with the thought of being in the woods all by myself (well yeah he'd be there too).

Do you have expierence with trips like that? I would appreciate if you'd tell me your stories!!

Thanks, Mel
Mel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:34 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Camping by myself out in the woods was a bit unnerving the first couple nights, but that was alone in a tent, having paddled there. By the 3rd night it no longer bothered me.

Sleeping in a trailer, with the truck sitting in front of it, is not in the same category. The first night boondocking out west was a bit similar, but only for a night. The only time I've really been concerned in the trailer was in a Walmart parking lot at 2 am.
Not sure what you are asking for here...

Start with commercial campgrounds, you'll be anything but by yourself. Then try provincial parks, also not by yourself but at least there is a little space and a few trees between campers. If all's well then at some point try a few nights boondocking, some places you can be alone, some not. Hopefully you can find what works for you, they are all camping, more or less.

I probably know more folks that travel via plane and hotels then campers, but we prefer the latter and have no problems visiting anywhere we wish, be it city or backwoods.

You do have to find a happy medium between the 2 of you. I like fishing, which Deb doesn't, when I want to fish I go camping by myself. Kind of like it that way.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It's the people that will cause issues, nature is just there to enjoy.....
Old 04-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have seen this same apprehension with others camping away from the hordes. Many have got over it with time. This was very true of one friend of mine, who was very much an urban girl, one who never even showed her face until she was all made up, and dressed up fine. She now gladly heads to these off-the-grid places, wears no makeup there, and even wears plaid at times.

For myself, this is what I enjoy the most. The further away from civilization I can get, the more my mind relaxes to a state of healing. I just love it. I have spent many hundreds of nights in the backcountry with no services of any kind, other than having a pit toilet or table in some places. I have done this with small groups, and even solo a few times. I have absolutely no worries out there.

That said, I love the trailer for the convenience of travelling, to get to see people and places with ease. While I do enjoy some exploring with my trailer in relatively urban areas, I mostly prefer to get away as far as possible much of the time too. I am of the mind that there is a MUCH larger change of something bad happening nearer more people, than away from them. Most people you do run into as you get more remote, are wonderful.

What I would suggest is that you start in your comfort zone, camp in places where you do feel the most comfortable, and slowly stretch these boundaries. I think this will help you realize that there are no dangers in moving towards remote places. You will find lots of people who are very friendly, who will only help to strengthen your courage to continue to do go to these places.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Hi Mel,

We live not far from you in Surrey, and also have a preference for traveling to the U.S. for long trips, especially the beautiful red rock canyons of the southwest. That being said, we do hope to go to Alaska one day soon. But most of our trailering is to lakes in the high country of B.C. for fishing. We love to get away from the crowds, but on one occasion it was definitely spooky.

One Friday in early September 2001 I asked the local fly fishing shop what lakes were hot and was told of a small lake near the town of Logan Lake that was fishing well. Their instructions on getting there seemed simple, so when my wife got home from work (teaching) we jumped into our Grand Caravan and took off, dragging our old Bonair tent trailer with us.

The route to the lake was on roads controlled by an active mining company, which I learned later routinely change routes and roads to suit their purpose. So I very soon wondered about our instructions when the first lake we encountered appeared on the wrong side of the road. We continued for about 30 minutes over very rough and steep road until we saw a small lake that I thought might be our destination. As often happens at hot fishing lakes in the wilderness, the forest service sign was missing, so I wasn't sure if this was the right lake. The light was fading, so we decided to stay. THERE WAS NO ONE ELSE AROUND!

Setting up our tent trailer by the light of our headlights, my wife couldn't help musing about axe murderers. We were both creeped out a bit. We heard wolves howling in the night, along with the distant sound of mine equipment working through the night. SPOOKY!

In the morning we woke to the sound of an axe chopping wood. We laughed, relieved that the axe murderer never found us. Opening the door of the tent trailer, I startled a pack of wolves milling around our campsite. WOW!

So, we went for an early morning walk to find the source of the chopping and found a truck and camper along another area of the lake, hidden in the trees. The owner really didn't look that menacing. Walking back to our campsite we saw a huge rainbow cruising the shallows by shore and ran back to get into our float tubing gear and go after it. As we set out I realized I left our net in the van and had to go back for it. Margie, meanwhile just CAST out her line in the shallows and as I got back with the net she yelled, "I've got a big one!" She countered my, "Yeah, sure!" with an "It's towing me, what do I do!" (Her 2nd time in a belly boat) And, yes, the fish was dragging her slowly forward. "Kick backwards with your flippers!" I said. After about 15 minutes she had it in, but couldn't fit it in the net, so I helped out. It was too beautiful to keep, but was too exhausted for catch & release (I wouldn't give it mouth-to-mouth CPR), so we kept it and filleted it for the BBQ.

Despite our own reluctance to go to very remote destinations, I would encourage you to stretch you boundaries and take reasonable risks in exploring the wilderness. This experience and others like it have given us some of our best memories.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Bob, other than the sounds of the mining equipment, that sounds like a perfect camping trip to me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #7

Trailer: we'll see
Thanks everyone (!!) for taking the time and write down your thoughts

(yeah I think a Walmart parking lot could be way creepier than being in the woods with some people around)
Mel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tent show

Our family was camped with Rita's sister and family at Yellow River State forest in Iowa. Hardly remote. We were the only rigs in the loop, it was the middle of the week. Later one afternoon, a young couple pulled in next to us. The guy came over and asked if we minded if they camped there. His wife was new to camping. We did not care and they set up a new light yellow tent. Once dark, they decided to extinquish their fire and retire to their tent. They took their new battery powered lantern inside with them. As the song goes "Two sillouettes on the shade, I couldn't hide the tears in my eyes." But I was not crying, I was, as they say, LMAO. Had to use my hands to shield my daughters eyes.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel68 View Post

My hubby would like (really really like) to travel to places like the Glacier Bay National Park. Looking at pics on the internet it sure is very beautiful up there and living in BC it pretty much feels like we have to go there.

Thing is, I am more interested in travelling to total different places. I'd like to go to San Francisco; in general I am more interested in seeing as much as possible from the US.

On top I am as we call it a small "Angsthase" (= fear rabbit ), and therefor don't feel comfortable with the thought of being in the woods all by myself (well yeah he'd be there too).
In the last year and a bit we've been from Anchorage Alaska to Loretto, Baja. No reason why you can't go to both places.

My wife also doesn't feel at that comfortable being isolated in woods and other places. Others also deal with that situation in various ways, some not so popular on this forum. Whatever works for you.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If anyone uses Instagram there is some excellent NPark photography. Add @USInterior to your follow list.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I am a single female who has camped alone for much of my 30 years. I primarily stay in campgrounds, but many are remote, and I've frequently been the only one there. (Did freak myself out one night when I was the only one in the campground and we had a wicked windstorm and I was deep into a Dean Koontz novel...). I've never had a problem. It may help that I frequently have a few large dogs with me...

As I've gotten older and had some health issues, I'm slightly less adventurous, but still camp lots on my own. If I have cell phone reception (not always), I'm never really alone... 😎
Start with where you're comfortable and go from there, and keep your eyes and ears open. If you feel uncomfortable, don't stay.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote