National Parks Senior Pass Price Increase - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Price increase

While this does not directly affect me, I would like to commend you for your tip on how to possibly temporarily circumvent the price increase. If I were needing to buy one, I'd probably head for a low attended fed museum ( Herbert Hoover Libraty ) or some such and hope they hadn't read the memo yet. Worth a try, like you said.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I just checked and it's still $10 $20 online. The aarp article mentions they don't know when they'll do the change to the new price but they are expecting much later in 2017.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It looks like the 2017 $80 item is the regular one-year pass, not the Senior Pass: 2017 Federal Recreation Pass (Product Number: 206946)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I don't think there is any doubt that the more tourists you squeeze into a national park, the more money they will spend and the greater the financial benefit to businesses operating there. However, in this and many other cases, more is certainly not better in terms of impacts to wildlife, environment, and peoples enjoyment of natural areas. There Is definitely a sustainability issue that needs to be addressed in terms of how the national parks are managed.

With respect to an earlier comment regarding parks knowing what they were doing when passes were made free for 2017, this was a decision made at a much higher level of government than the national parks office, with minimal consultation. I doubt that free passes to Banff or Jasper would have been in the works if Parks had been asked for their inputs on how best to celebrate Canada's 150th birthday.

Hopefully many would be visitors will become quickly frustrated with the crowds in our wilderness areas and go back to enjoy the peace and quiet of our local cities.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It looks like the 2017 $80 item is the regular one-year pass, not the Senior Pass: 2017 Federal Recreation Pass (Product Number: 206946)
It is said that the new Senior Pass will cost $80, just as that one does but the Senior Pass is only paid for once.

Or a senior can pay $20 per year and keep the receipts so when reaching $80, he or she is then given the pass.This is what I understand to be the case.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I hope that...
  • people encouraged to visit Canada's National Parks and Historic Sites by this year's freebie will discover something new to them then return when it is less busy, and
  • U.S. seniors realize that $80/lifetime is still cheap, but are motivated by the coming price increase to get a pass now and then get out to see their country's national parks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
For many years the US National Parks have been primarily populated by International tourists. As we toured the parks in the Western half for 5 years with our toddlers, they had to play with many children in the campgrounds who did not speak English. Fun experience for them, but kinda sad that we aren't visiting our parks in greater numbers. Hopefully, with the dollar currently strong there is more opportunity for US visitors to get out and see the parks. I sure hope they do.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote