Need Local Knowledge re Olympic National Park - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerrittP View Post

My first observation/suggestion is that you’re being way too ambitious for a single day. It’s even ambitious for a two day itinerary.

Port Townsend, one of Washington State’s first maritime business centers is itself a wonderful destination.

If the weather is clear the drive up to Hurricane Ridge is well worth the time. Leave your Escape behind however.

Washington State Route 112 . . . I’d not recommend it for towing unless your destination is Seku, Neah Bay or Cape Flattery. I suggest staying on 101 from Port Angles to Forks.

Trying to visit Hurricane Ridge, the Hoh Rain Forest and Rialto Beach in a single day will wear you out and wouldn’t do justice to any of them. I suggest trying for two at the most. As Macrae says Kalaloch is a great destination and nice park for camping. Perhaps visit Hurricane and the Hoh. Then move on to Kalaloch for your camp and Pacific Ocean beach experience.

Please tell everyone it rained. . . .
Merritt,

Thanks for the info and the reality therapy. We'll be thinking in terms of two days then, and staying on 101.

We were thinking of going down to Port T for a day trip from D. Pass before doing the penninsula. From our boating days, we understand that it's a hotbed for wooden boats and we thought we could get some good images at the harbor and maybe some Vic architecture in town as well.

Got it: "It was a monsoon!!"

Thanks.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kærnehuset View Post
The museum run by the Macaw (spelling?) First Nations at Neah Bay has some spectacular artifacts in it. Well worth a visit, especially if you are into First Nations culture. A hike out to Cape Flattery, the northern tip of the Olympic Peninsula is also well worth it. Spectacular views, cilffs, sea caves, opposing currents and plenty of birds. The Callum County campground just north of Port Angeles is a great place to stay if you plan to hit the ferry to Victoria. It is clean, quite and on the ocean. We went to the hotsprings in the National Park last year. They were crowded and very, very dirty. We will give them a pass in the future.

Regards

Scott
Thanks Scott. We'll keep these spots in mind. Would the Callum Co. campground be viable for an overnight to visit the Hurricane Ridge and Hoh?

Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEnder View Post
I live in the Forks area and my job takes me all over the Olympic peninsula. . . .
Thanks big time, WestEnder. Both the short and long versions are extremely valuable. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to give us such detailed information. We'll be recalibrating our plans. Again, thank you!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I stayed at Mora campground near Rialto Beach for a few days last month. The overflow lot at Rialto Beach was open and there was room to park an RV there.

Mike Lewis
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Here's the link to Salt Creek Recreation Area run by Callum County. This is a neat little campground. The park*is located on the Strait of Juan de Fuca 15 miles west of Port Angeles.* From Highway 112, after approximately 9 miles turn north onto Camp Hayden Road (near milepost 54).* Travel approximately 3 miles, and the Park entrance will be on your right. Here is the link to their website and map:*

Salt Creek Recreation Area

Hurricane Ridge is located 17 miles south of Port Angeles on Hurricane Ridge Road, off Mount Angeles Road

The Hoh lies on the west side of Olympic National Park, about a two-hour drive from Port Angeles and under an hour from Forks. The Hoh Rain Forest is accessed by the Upper Hoh Road, off of Highway 101.

Hope this helps for your planning!

Regards

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #16

Trailer: Working on my build list
My pleasure, I'm happy to help. Sorry it wasn't more organized. It was getting late so I didn't edit it much.

This forum is great help as I work on my build sheet for an Escape. I'm happy to be able to reciprocate. If you have more questions feel free to ask. I get the impression lots of folks come my way after picking up their trailers.

By the way, it's "Clallam", after another local tribe.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I stayed at Mora campground near Rialto Beach for a few days last month. The overflow lot at Rialto Beach was open and there was room to park an RV there.

Mike Lewis
Thanks Mike. Always good to have a backup plan.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kærnehuset View Post
Here's the link to Salt Creek Recreation Area run by Callum County. This is a neat little campground. The park*is located on the Strait of Juan de Fuca 15 miles west of Port Angeles.* From Highway 112, after approximately 9 miles turn north onto Camp Hayden Road (near milepost 54).* Travel approximately 3 miles, and the Park entrance will be on your right. Here is the link to their website and map:*

Salt Creek Recreation Area

Hurricane Ridge is located 17 miles south of Port Angeles on Hurricane Ridge Road, off Mount Angeles Road

The Hoh lies on the west side of Olympic National Park, about a two-hour drive from Port Angeles and under an hour from Forks. The Hoh Rain Forest is accessed by the Upper Hoh Road, off of Highway 101.

Hope this helps for your planning!

Regards

Scott

Good info. Thanks Scott.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEnder View Post
My pleasure, I'm happy to help. Sorry it wasn't more organized. It was getting late so I didn't edit it much.

This forum is great help as I work on my build sheet for an Escape. I'm happy to be able to reciprocate. If you have more questions feel free to ask. I get the impression lots of folks come my way after picking up their trailers.

By the way, it's "Clallam", after another local tribe.
It was very informative, WestEnder. Agree that this is a great forum. Would never have ventured to buy a product at this level of expenditure, from a manufacturer with no dealer support, located in another country -- except for the forum (and cpaharley's kindness in showing us both his 19 and 21).

Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #20

Trailer: Working on my build list
I'd say the single most important piece of advice I can give you and anyone else who reads this thread in the future is this: The Peninsula is close enough to the population centers on the I-5 corridor to fill up on nice weekends in the summer. Have a reservation or plan to get here Thursday/early Friday morning or you might not find a campsite at all. Arriving midweek is usually ok unless there is a major holiday.

By the way, I forgot the two Forest Service campgrounds in the Forks area.

WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote