New 19 needs campgrounds to Winnipeg - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 (June)
New 19 needs campgrounds to Winnipeg

Our new Escape is ready in early June. We'd appreciate any tips on campgrounds along the #1 on route from Chilliwack to Winnipeg. Thanks in advance!
Lpv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Sorry Leanne cannot help you with campgrounds but wondered whether you planned to attend the MB Fiberglass and Vintage trailer rally at St. Malo in August. So far have two Escapes there, ours and Iowa Dave's and maybe others I don't know about.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #3

Thanks Adrian, We have been there before with the 1974 Boler we just sold. Maybe see you there this year!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Until someone answers with personal recommendations:::

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks (plug in city --- there are other websites too, like the "campground report" link conveniently located to the right of this post). Yelp or trip advisor also have some listings

for a thread here that I found:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...ewan-7017.html

Good luck and enjoy the Escape.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Just to add to what Bruce mentioned as I have no experience pasted Saskatchewan. This is a website I use and it is pretty good for campsite research.
www.campscout.com

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #6

Very helpful! Thanks��
Old 05-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Are you definitely taking the Trans-Canada the whole way? There's nothing wrong with that, but there are choices:
  • You can take the Coquihalla (#5) from Hope to Kamloops instead of the Trans-Canada (#1) - that can be faster, but the long grades are not much fun with a trailer, and there is much less to see with fewer places to camp.
  • You can skip Kamloops entirely and head east on the Crowsnest (#3) at least to Keremeos and potentially all the way through B.C., not returning to the Trans-Canada until Medicine Hat AB.
  • You can start out on the Crowsnest and shift up to the Trans-Canada via the Okanagan (Highway 97 through Kelowna) or other routes (such as 95&93 through Radium Hot Springs) further east; these would still send you through Banff.

I'm not recommending other routes, but which route you take will determine what campgrounds are available. The other routes will typically be a bit longer and definitely slower, but you might want to use the trip as an opportunity to see and do more along the way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
We just drove the Trans Canada from Thunder Bay, Ontario to Jasper, Icefield Parkway, Revelstoke, and are now in Kelowna.
If you can take any other routes, I'd recommend something else. The big trucks get very impatient if you don't go well over the speed limit, and 110+ is a bit much with a trailer.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #9

We can recommend sites in Kelowna, Revelstoke, Jasper, Hinton, and perhaps others, if any of those mesh with your plans. As you can see, we weren't covering that much distance each day, but had several good spots.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
New 19 needs campgrounds to Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
The big trucks get very impatient if you don't go well over the speed limit, and 110+ is a bit much with a trailer.

The big trucks can just go ahead and get upset as far as I'm concerned. My safety and the safety of my other occupants is paramount.

I recall a jerk in an 18 wheeler several years ago who was tailgating me in Arkansas and eventually laying on his airhorn because he was "stuck" behind me at 60 mph in a 55 zone.

When he was finally able to pass me, he intentionally tried to run me off the road. I managed to brake and drove on the shoulder to avoid crashing.

A few miles later, there was a weigh station. I followed him into it. I then got out of the car, approached a State Trooper who was standing outside the office, produced my badge, and asked the trooper to take the driver into custody. He was convicted of reckless driving and 2nd Degree Assault, lost his CHL and his job.

The roads are to be shared - peacefully - not a place for reckless or dangerous behavior. When I was a Police Officer, I saw the tragic consequences of such behavior too many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Hope you got paid overtime.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
We just drove the Trans Canada from Thunder Bay, Ontario to Jasper, Icefield Parkway, Revelstoke, and are now in Kelowna.
If you can take any other routes, I'd recommend something else. The big trucks get very impatient if you don't go well over the speed limit, and 110+ is a bit much with a trailer.
For the first part of that stretch, there isn't much choice.
Assuming that you only went south on the Icefields Parkway (from Jasper) - not both directions - you must have left the Trans-Canada somewhere... perhaps on the most common route, which would be onto the Yellowhead just west of Portage la Prairie, so all of Saskatchewan (through Saskatoon) and Alberta (through Edmonton) would be Yellowhead, not Trans-Canada (through Regina and Calgary). Of course you could have taken the Trans-Canada all the way to Calgary then up to Edmonton on Highway 2, but that would have been a lot further (and.... why? )

The only RV I've driven on the Yellowhead east of Edmonton and on the Trans-Canada in Manitoba and Ontario is our motorhome, which is comfortable cruising at 110 km/h, so I didn't notice an issue. On the parts of the same highways west of Edmonton I haven't had an issue with the trailer, perhaps because once we get into mountains the trucks can't keep up with the minivan & trailer on the climbs.

Fortunately for the truck-in-a-hurry situation, lots of the Trans-Canada is now divided from east of Calgary and through Banff National Park - if other drivers are impatient they can just go by.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:49 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I like to tuck in behind the semi.
Did that heading up to Prince George. He hit the moose.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #14

He's back. This time driving a double trailer. When he eventually passed us on the Trans Canada west of Revelstoke he blew his air horn a good 5 seconds.
Earline asked what that was all about, but I knew.
Later on a major uphill with him in the right lane, I tried to pass, and he wrecklessly swerved to his left with that whole two trailer tanker rig to block me, almost hitting us. Each time I'd try again, he'd swerve again.
My next strategy was to sit in the passing lane with my blinker on and him riding dead center of the two lanes, with Earline taking pictures of his license plate on the I-phone. When traffic (witnesses) built up behind me, he finally relented, and we flew on by with Earline waving the I-phone at him and him signaling out his IQ.
Ram Eco-Diesel to the rescue--plenty of power on the uphill.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
He's back. This time driving a double trailer. When he eventually passed us on the Trans Canada west of Revelstoke he blew his air horn a good 5 seconds.

Earline asked what that was all about, but I knew.

Later on a major uphill with him in the right lane, I tried to pass, and he wrecklessly swerved to his left with that whole two trailer tanker rig to block me, almost hitting us. Each time I'd try again, he'd swerve again.

My next strategy was to sit in the passing lane with my blinker on and him riding dead center of the two lanes, with Earline taking pictures of his license plate on the I-phone. When traffic (witnesses) built up behind me, he finally relented, and we flew on by with Earline waving the I-phone at him and him signaling out his IQ.

Ram Eco-Diesel to the rescue--plenty of power on the uphill.

Best strategy there is to stop at the next town or exit and report it. Playing tag with a big rig is a losing proposition. The Canadian authorities will eventually stop him, and you can press charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2016, 07:49 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I worked for a worldwide transportation company. Safety was job ONE! If you ever have safety issues with a commercial driver... report him or her (with details... videos are ever better!) to his or her company. I don't know of any transportation website that doesn't have a "Contact Us" link.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #17

Good idea. We'll do that from Osoyoos. Arriving today. Hope to see you and all the others.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have driven the Trans Canada west of Calgary many 100's of times and very often towing a trailer, and have never really had a problem with truckers, which I found for the most part to be very courteous. Many do the speed limit, with quite a few at about 10 kph over when they can (which is where I like to drive usually), and a very few who go faster than that. I too have seen the odd trucker drive like a jerk, but that is a very rare exception, and these idiots should be reported as a few have suggested.

Most truckers like to hit the highway at times when less busy if they can, resting through the busier periods, though that is not always possible.

Now, folks with RVs of all types, from large Class A motorhomes, to the smallest travel trailer, have caused traffic problems WAY more times than truckers. Many often travelling for long stretches without pulling over, at speeds below the speed limit. This is fine on a multi-lane highway, but something that really irks me on two lane roads. To take the attitude that it is just too bad for the rest of folks on the road is quite inconsiderate. I very much appreciate those going slower who are considerate enough to pull over to let the queue behind them pass once in a while.

Bottom line, I would MUCH rather travel on highways filled with semi truck/trailers, that I would with just a handful of RVs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #19

10 kph over the posted 110 kph is 74.5 mph.
I didn't know our OEM tires were rated for those speeds.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
A practice that I see quite often and find terribly annoying is that on some of the single lane roads through the mountains the traffic will build and build behind some slow moving vehicle. Very often when a passing lane appears, the slower moving vehicles will speed up again so that few or none of the vehicles piled up behind them have the opportunity to pass. When they reach the end of the passing lane, they will slow down again. I have seen this behaviour time and time again and it baffles me why they do that.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote