New England in the Fall - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 17A
New England in the Fall

Greetings all,

My wife Mimi & I are planning a trip to New England for a Fall colors tour. I have noted that JStelly and perhaps others have the same intention. (By the way, Thank You John, for a great thread on long distance travel.)

Our loose plan at this time is to leave California in mid September. Take two weeks to reach to reach the top of Maine traveling through Canada above the great lakes perhaps all the way to Nova Scotia.Then two weeks coming south through New England to Appalachia. And then two weeks to cross the country again via Texas and the southwest.

I have been told that campgrounds in New England are typically very full at that time and that we would be well advised to make reservations.

So with that in mind, would those of you who live or have visited New England in the Fall please offer your comments and suggestions. Actually, if you have suggestions about anywhere along our intended route, I would love to hear them.

All that aside, right now we have been busy making a few modifications as we anticipate a trip to Death Valley in three weeks.

Allan
Old 02-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveoakal View Post
Greetings all,

My wife Mimi & I are planning a trip to New England for a Fall colors tour. I have noted that JStelly and perhaps others have the same intention. (By the way, Thank You John, for a great thread on long distance travel.)

Our loose plan at this time is to leave California in mid September. Take two weeks to reach to reach the top of Maine traveling through Canada above the great lakes perhaps all the way to Nova Scotia.Then two weeks coming south through New England to Appalachia. And then two weeks to cross the country again via Texas and the southwest.

I have been told that campgrounds in New England are typically very full at that time and that we would be well advised to make reservations.

So with that in mind, would those of you who live or have visited New England in the Fall please offer your comments and suggestions. Actually, if you have suggestions about anywhere along our intended route, I would love to hear them.

All that aside, right now we have been busy making a few modifications as we anticipate a trip to Death Valley in three weeks.

Allan
Much depends on what part of New England you are headed for. The NY Adirondacks, for example, closes many of its campgrounds (as well as motels) on Labor Day.

You might find the Foliage Network website helpful, both for its real time postings as well as the historic listings when planning your visits.

While a bit south, one of my favorite fall color locations is Ricketts Glen State Park in PA. I usually visit in mid to late October. Some of my photos here. They have 2 campgrounds, one of which is open year round. No hookups, but bathrooms with hot showers.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The Adirondacks in upper New York ar quite colorful the first week in October....
Old 02-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
You will miss much of the foliage if you try to head all the way to Nefoundland before returning to NE. Best foleage is in Southern Maine, NH, and VT late September and early October. New England Peak Fall Foliage Forecast Map - Yankee Foliage - Your Source for New England Fall Foliage
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveoakal View Post
So....where do you stay while in Death Valley? My husband and I started to make plans couple of weeks ago, but there were no available sites. We are new to traveling off-season, and are still trying to figure out how far in advance we need to make reservations. We have no problem being off the grid, but even then, everything seems full. We could go in April when there is availability, but then it is starting to get a bit warm....

BTW: We love the plans you are making....we will be going that route in 2017.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
While I haven't been in Maine New Hampshire and Vermont in the fall I remember vacationing there a few years ago in the summer. I'm not trying to insult anyone here and I really like the area but remember the country is quite small compared to being out west. I drove across Vermont in such a short time, I was in New Hampshire before I knew it. We sat down that night and figured out our next few days whic amounted to crisis crossing all three states north to south and east to west. Then we went up into Canada at Fort Kent Maine. I'd advise reservations and a plan before you go.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
From my thread titled, "Trip to Death Valley." We entered from the east.

"...Best advice before final leg into Death Valley is top off the tank. On Belle Vista Avenue a few miles west of Pahrump it was $1.79. In mid-valley, gas at Furnace Creek Ranch was $3.41/gallon. I should mention every amenity at Furnace Creek Ranch is expensive. An unheated shower room is 5 bucks. By 4 PM the nice Furnace Creek Campground was already filled. Plenty of room for us across the street (at bare bones) Sunset Campground. $6/night with senior pass. Restrooms unheated, Spartan, clean."
Attached Thumbnails
DeathVal2.jpg  
Old 02-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
So....where do you stay while in Death Valley? My husband and I started to make plans couple of weeks ago, but there were no available sites. We are new to traveling off-season, and are still trying to figure out how far in advance we need to make reservations. We have no problem being off the grid, but even then, everything seems full. We could go in April when there is availability, but then it is starting to get a bit warm....

You tried for the ritzy campground. Go across the street and up the hill to Texas Springs campground. Sunset is a big parking lot for those who want to run generators. Texas Springs is dry and no generators. We had no problem finding a place at exactly this time last year.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #9
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
You tried for the ritzy campground. Go across the street and up the hill to Texas Springs campground. Sunset is a big parking lot for those who want to run generators. Texas Springs is dry and no generators. We had no problem finding a place at exactly this time last year.
thank you!
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
While I haven't been in Maine New Hampshire and Vermont in the fall I remember vacationing there a few years ago in the summer. I'm not trying to insult anyone here and I really like the area but remember the country is quite small compared to being out west. I drove across Vermont in such a short time, I was in New Hampshire before I knew it. We sat down that night and figured out our next few days whic amounted to crisis crossing all three states north to south and east to west. Then we went up into Canada at Fort Kent Maine. I'd advise reservations and a plan before you go.
Dave
I'd plan a lot longer for a trip across Vermont on a fall foliage weekend. It's the busy season and there are cars everywhere

I'd advise reservations as well. Many campgrounds close In October starting early in the month up north and staying open until mid month heading south. Once the foliage is gone, so is the camping. The state parks in Vermont close mid October. There are several private places in Burlington, some mid state near White water Junction, and a well reviewed KOA in Brattleboro.

Some stay open later, but not many. Recompence campground in Freeport Maine is open all year (right on the bay) but the utilities turn off mid October. You can't beat the view. I also recommend Lobster Bouy in Thomaston, little place right on the water. Perfect for an Escape. Not sure about their season.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Don't go too far north, most of Maine is pine trees. Reservations would indeed be recommended, hard to find CG's after Columbus day. Many federal and state CG's close after Labor Day, the farther north, the earlier they close.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:42 AM   #12

If you need to, in Freeport, Maine you can overnite in the LL Bean parking lot.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
And thanks Allan for starting this thread. I will be reading carefully as I plan our route from Texas. We are leaving shortly after 9/22 (our grandsons birthday) and headed north. Our plan right now is to take a more western route north through Kentucky, Ohio and western NY and an eastern route through the Smokeys on the return. We are fortunate in that my wife's brother lives outside Manchester, NH so we already have our reservations for driveway camping. It will be the farthest north we venture and will be our base from which to explore the surrounding areas.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #14

PS: At Millinocket, Maine, you can enter Baxter State Park, which is run under a charter that it never be improved or modernized, since Gov. Baxter donated it to the state a hundred years ago and so, it remains perhaps the best eastern wilderness experience there is. Happy camping!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post

Not having been to Death Valley before I was vacillating between Furnace Creek (the only campground with reservations) and Texas Spring (no reservations and also no generators). In January I was able to find a site with a string of 4 nights available so I went with that for the security of having a site when we arrived.

We will be there from 3/13 until 3/17 at Furnace Creek site 44. If you are in the vicinity please come by and say hello.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #16

With regards to the New England journey next Fall we are considering entering Canada from Minnesota and traveling through to Nova Scotia. Any suggestions or comments about that route would be welcome.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:35 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
If your plans include Acadia National Park in Maine, look into staying at he "new part" that just opened. It is East of the well known part of the park, actually more on the mainland, as opposed to the island. Brand spanking new, and less well known, and of course has the senior rate.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote