New Mexico Camping and Must Sees - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We were pleasantly surprised by the Geronimo Springs Museum in "Truth or Consequences" NM. Their Native American pottery and arrowhead collections are impressive. Geronimo Springs Museum - home

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
New Mexico....
Check out my post from our trip last September.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...mble-6436.html
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We so appreciate all the suggestions. Lots of places we will have to consider in our planning. I'm thinking we may have to shift our trip to accommodate the balloon festival. Are there any specific locations where you can get good photographic shots of the balloons against awesome red rock scenery?

Also, we have used Rick Steves' travel guides while exploring Europe and loved the way he rated the various places and sights. Even though others' ratings might vary, when there are so many possibilities it is useful to have someone's suggestions on must sees vs great experiences vs nice experiences. If anyone who has travelled New Mexico and southern Colorado extensively would care to give it a try, I believe it would be valuable to many (just like the Rick Steves' travel guide).

Of course, as we travel between "must sees" we can pack in other great experiences that are convenient to our plans. e.g. I heard that the Breaking Bad house is another touristy thing to do. If we happen to be going through Albuquerque we might even detour to take it in, maybe even throw some pizza on the roof. (NEVER!)

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #24

Trailer: none
No red rocks in Albuquerque. ..but the Sandia Mts are the backdrop. If you go you are ON the balloon launch field so the photography is spectacular. But get your rv reservation at Balloon Fiesta right away. Google Balloon Fiesta Albuquerque and you'll have all the info you need right there.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Hi Bob,

I've enjoyed this thread. We watched "Breaking Bad" (Netflicks) and got hooked on the idea of traveling to New Mexico. I'd love to go to the restaurant where the two couples (Walt and the brother in law and wives) confront each other. Lots of wonderful desert scenes that made us living in a rain forest long for the smell of sage.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #26

When in NM it is required to frequently sample the green chile cheeseburgers. Here is a link to the Green Chile Cheeseburger Trail. I can personally vouch for the Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio (NM not Texas) and Sparky's in Hatch, New Mexico - the home of NM green chile... Oh, and it's chilE NOT chili !!
https://www.newmexico.org/green-chile-cheeseburger/
Sold both 7/22
Old 03-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #27

BTW - The Balloon Fiesta RV park is already sold out except for some dry camping locations ($35 to $90 depending on location). But the RV site also includes free shuttle to and from the Balloon launch field - but not tickets to the event. Tickets are $10/person per session (AM or PM). Still, if you've never done it is worth every penny of the steep price for the RV sites and admission.
Sold both 7/22
Old 03-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Cochiti Lake recreation area campground is is run by the Army Corps of Engineers. It is 42 miles north of the Balloon Fiesta grounds.

That may seem a long drive to get to the ABQ bus marshaling parking lots early enough (4-5AM) to be in time for the great pre-dawn balloon action, but just might be your best bet. Cochiti is well run, clean, Spartan. I think it's great, and starting at $12 a night with no hookups but they are available.
Attached Thumbnails
CochitiBurro1.jpg   B-3.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks for the green chili info. I love Mexican food.

Regarding the balloon festival, I have a severe reaction to scents in detergents, body care products, and of course perfumes. I can't go on a bus or plane or indoor event with assigned seating. So is there a place you can drive to yourself and get images of the balloons at not too great a distance? Or could you take a cab? (Cost?)
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote